Apple buys WiFiSLAM for $20M

(source)

Apple buys indoor location tech company WiFiSLAM for a (rumoured) $20M. No doubt we'll see this integrated in Apple Maps and so Apple will follow Nokia and Google in offering this functionality although they'll no doubt introduce it (in iOS7) and a ground-breaking innovation by Apple sometime this year.

(source)

Apple buys indoor location tech company WiFiSLAM for a (rumoured) $20M. No doubt we'll see this integrated in Apple Maps and so Apple will follow Nokia and Google in offering this functionality although they'll no doubt introduce it (in iOS7) and a ground-breaking innovation by Apple sometime this year.

What do you mean follow Nokia and Google? You are aware that the company they purchased is for positioning inside buildings and not mapping inside buildings?

Apple have already been using Wifi only to figure out where you are - any iPad models without a 3G chip don't have a GPS chip and instead they use Wifi to figure out where you are. I imagine this company has ways which are more intelligent, or more accurate.

From the WiFiSLAM angel website:

Allow your smartphone to pinpoint its location (and the location of your friends) in real-time to 2.5m accuracy using only ambient Wi-Fi signals that are already present in buildings.

I don't know what the specifics of how this company is doing but they're roughly all the same; triangulation. You send a message to all the wifi routers and measure how long it takes for each one to reply, from that you can use various timing algos to work out roughly your position.

Not sure about android or WP but my ipod touch 2nd gen on 2.01 can get location from just wifi...

They should fix outdoors first, then go indoors. People hate when I drive through their living rooms.

p.s: Early testing of Apple Maps (outdoor/indoor) combined

post-56913-0-70319200-1361935205.jpg