win7

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 i_was_here

i_was_here

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 24 March 2013 - 13:43

After being on for 8 hours (overnight), I recently awoke when I noticed that my PC went to sleep. Normally this would not be unusual however I was running a little utility, Don't Sleep, that should have prevented it from doing so.

Now there are two things I want to troubleshoot: how/why did Windows 7 go to sleep (perhaps so I can report it to the developer) and why did it go to sleep after so much time.

My computer is a desktop, there was no power outage, and my power settings are on Balanced.

#2 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 24 March 2013 - 13:46

It probably got bored...

#3 ozgeek

ozgeek

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 24 March 2013 - 13:49

After being on for 8 hours (overnight), I recently awoke when I noticed that my PC went to sleep. Normally this would not be unusual however I was running a little utility, Don't Sleep, that should have prevented it from doing so.

Now there are two things I want to troubleshoot: how/why did Windows 7 go to sleep (perhaps so I can report it to the developer) and why did it go to sleep after so much time.

My computer is a desktop, there was no power outage, and my power settings are on Balanced.

Balanced power settings and you don't know there is an option to set how long the computer stays up before going to sleep? Have a look there.

#4 OP i_was_here

i_was_here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 March 2013 - 13:53

With the current setting, the computer goes to sleep after 30 minutes. However that is not what happened. Almost 8 hours passed before it went to sleep. Furthermore it shouldn't have slept at all.

#5 Ian William

Ian William

Neowinian Resident Werewolf

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:40

I have a question.
If you don't want it to sleep, why don't you change the setting to Never in Power Options?

#6 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:43

8 Hours it had to watch you sleep? no wonder it fell asleep. Well wake it up then :p

#7 OP i_was_here

i_was_here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:33

I have a question.
If you don't want it to sleep, why don't you change the setting to Never in Power Options?

There are times when I do want it to sleep, alas, I suppose I will have to change the setting.

Anyways I think Don't Sleep might be failing to do its job so I hope I get a email response back from the developer.

#8 +Medfordite

Medfordite

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy Axiom

Posted 25 March 2013 - 19:42

Sounds like a case of Narcolepsy. j/k

Have you looked in the events log? You can find lots of valuable information there which would suggest why it went to sleep in the first place. Maybe your program crashed and reloaded causing a temporary "Go to sleep" thing but failed to come back up? Or perhaps like you suggested, the program failed to do the job. Looking at the events viewer (events.msc usually), will let you see what causes things along that line. :)

#9 OP i_was_here

i_was_here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:03

BTW until I hear back from the developer of Don't Sleep, I have switched to the Amphetamine utility which seems to seems to work.

Also how do I marked this as "SOLVED"? I cannot seem to edit my previous posts :/