Photo

Is it a good time to buy a MBP?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 OP External HDD

External HDD

Boored!

Posted 26 March 2013 - 14:36

Pff, I can't decide. 800 Mhz difference is too big...

#17 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 17

Posted 26 March 2013 - 15:19

After buying a early 2012 15" MBP I will never in my life waste that much money again . For the price of one MBP I got 3 - three really nice dell laptops . Three for the price of one you must be stupid to buy apple laptops

That really isn't the point of this thread though, is it?

I've been thinking for the longest time about upgrading my macbook. For the moment though the one that I have is still running fine, so I don't mind waiting a bit to see how the Haswell chip performs in them.

#18 #Michael

#Michael

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 March 2013 - 15:21

Pff, I can't decide. 800 Mhz difference is too big...

Do this...flip a coin (not sure of your local currency but it still works). Heads you buy it and tails you wait. Whatever the outcome you stick to that decision. No remorse over that decision.

#19 bdsams

bdsams

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 March 2013 - 15:27

It's a good time to buy a MBPr as they were updated in Feb, the new chips, while better will likely not show a noticeable gain between the old and new unless you do a side-by-side and pull out a stopwatch. If you need it now, get it, if not, then why are you buying?

I would not buy a Macbook Air though, it looks like a new design should arrive this year (according to rumors)

#20 OP External HDD

External HDD

Boored!

Posted 26 March 2013 - 15:37

As I said, Haswell offers 3.5 Ghz whereas current generation offfers only 2.7. Isn't this a big difference? I mean I don't know how to compare them but how come the performance gain is around %10 when the clock speed is increased by one third?

The thing is, Macbooks here in Turkey are nearly double the price in US and they are a bit hard to sell. So I must make a good choice and stick with whatever I buy for at least 3-4 years.

#21 #Michael

#Michael

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 March 2013 - 16:31

As I said, Haswell offers 3.5 Ghz whereas current generation offfers only 2.7. Isn't this a big difference? I mean I don't know how to compare them but how come the performance gain is around %10 when the clock speed is increased by one third?

The thing is, Macbooks here in Turkey are nearly double the price in US and they are a bit hard to sell. So I must make a good choice and stick with whatever I buy for at least 3-4 years.

Clock speed hasn't mattered in years. I got the 3rd generation core i7 that clocks in at 2.7 with turboboost to 3.4. But the speed really doesn't matter...it's how everything utilizes the cores.

The early 2013 rMBP uses the 3540m ivy bridge chipset: http://ark.intel.com...-up-to-3_70-GHz

This chipset was just released and will be in use for a long time. Why wait and see if the hasewell will be included in the next revision?

#22 Tuishimi

Tuishimi

Michinator

Posted 26 March 2013 - 16:51

You should wait until I buy one, then Apple will lower the prices and offer a better version the next day. :p :)

#23 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 27 March 2013 - 15:29

It's a good time to buy a MBPr as they were updated in Feb, the new chips, while better will likely not show a noticeable gain between the old and new unless you do a side-by-side and pull out a stopwatch. If you need it now, get it, if not, then why are you buying?

I would not buy a Macbook Air though, it looks like a new design should arrive this year (according to rumors)

I agree with this post. That being said, I'm still unsatisfied with the rMBP performance and 3rd party apps are still catching up with HiDPI apps. If you need one, now is a good time to buy. As for me, I'm going to wait a bit more before upgrading my mid-2009 MBP to a rMBP.

#24 OP External HDD

External HDD

Boored!

Posted 28 March 2013 - 16:46

I bought an early-2013 model, nobody knows if haswell chips will be included in the next release or not, and I needed a Mac anyway.

#25 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 28 March 2013 - 17:42

10% performance gain when comparing the same clock speeds.

#26 Mr Nom Nom's

Mr Nom Nom's

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC One M8

Posted 29 March 2013 - 16:35

I've bought a MacBook Pro recently and quite frankly we could all sit around saying, "well, the new one has just been released but if I want 234 more days I could get an even more up to date one" and thus you'll never actually end up buying a MacBook Pro in the end. IMHO if you need it then go buy it because otherwise it ends up becoming one of those things you constantly hold out for whilst failing to realise that in every case as soon as you buy your computer it'll be out of date in a matter of a few months - just accept that and move on with life.