Restore Start menu but limit it to Pro edition

• Please log in to reply
268 replies to this topic

#241 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:25

2-3 times a year due to slow downs, rot, updates breaking the UXTheme patches, etc.

Really? I went 3 years on the same XP install. I was also a big UXtheme patcher. I used a bunch of different themes.

Then I built a new machine in 2008 and used Vista then stayed on that same Vista install til Windows 7 RTM'ed then I stayed on that same Windows 7 install til Windows 8 RTM'ed. Usually only reinstalled when I would build a new machine or the next version of Windows is released. I never bring an OS to it's knees.

#242 mrp04

mrp04

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:34

lol this has 242 replies

#243 c.grz

c.grz

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:40

Don't be obtuse by equating their use. I don't follow your second line though. Per the last, is there some show stopping bug that is preventing your adoption? Why are you waiting for SP1? Why not force them and then report on your top help desk items?

You, as an IT Pro, are going to say in all honesty that there is zero user weight to adding a completely new UI on top of the familiar that is more than just the Start Menu, both in scope and integration? Now we can quibble over how heavy you think it is, but to say its weightless?

What's stopping us is that we just received Windows 7 certification for our inhouse apps. I'm not about to drop Windows 8 and go through that process again; not until the next computer refresh.

Actually we do have 4 PC's running Windows 8 just to see what kind of traction we got from it and 3 of the 4 users have decided to keep using it. And two of these people are in our design and development department. Their biggest gripe was that they can't access the app store because we locked it down.

And if I base how successful migrations/upgrades are using top help desk items after said migrations and upgrades, I'd probably say they were failures. We prepared for the jump from Office 2003 to Office 2007; training, books the whole ball of wax. We prepared the users for weeks and then we rolled it out. Guess what happened? Influx of "How do I..." tickets. Even though we'd made sure to go through the points we thought would be hard for the users to deal with.

Zero user weight? No; but not as big as most of the people against the change make it out to be. It won't be any different than our Office migration; a whole bunch of "How do I..." tickets until the users learn to navigate the system.

#244 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 16
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:46

lol this has 242 replies

and I don't think the OP has replied once :D

#245 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:51

lol this has 242 replies

Plenty of feedback for MS to use to tweak the Modern UI. ;>

If the MS core apps are setting the standard for the Modern UI and apps, we're in trouble. That's why MS is doing the in-house showcase app team.

If there is one true flaw in the Windows 8 strategy is that it was not well planned, not well timed, and not well executed. MS has done that before and they fix, patch, and catch up later. Only usually from a position of total dominance. Here they only dominate the desktop. It will be interesting to see, with the current leadership (which I personally think is somewhat out of touch which is why Tim Cook played them like a fiddle), how well they do from this point forward. The recent core app updates tell me they have left alpha and are now in public beta as far as Modern UI and it's apps. Pinball FX2 is the shiznit though!

#246 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:04

Plenty of feedback for MS to use to tweak the Modern UI. ;>

But, everyone detractors has said Microsoft has buried their heads in the sand with regards to the Metro UI. :rolleyes:

#247 xWhiplash

xWhiplash

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:31

But, everyone detractors has said Microsoft has buried their heads in the sand with regards to the Metro UI. :rolleyes:

Haven't they? They have seen what happened to Vista: bad press / word of mouth. I got Vista when it was released and did not have an issue, even on 3 going on 4 year old hardware. When I ask people why they hate Vista, they say they heard it sucks, The same thing is happening here. They ignored the risks so they could force their new interface on us. Now it seems the Windows community is a mess with these two sides.

Windows 8 should have been an OS between Windows 7 and what we have now. They need to at least provide options for those strictly on the desktop.

#248 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:35

Haven't they? They have seen what happened to Vista: bad press / word of mouth. I got Vista when it was released and did not have an issue, even on 3 going on 4 year old hardware. When I ask people why they hate Vista, they say they heard it sucks, The same thing is happening here. They ignored the risks so they could force their new interface on us. Now it seems the Windows community is a mess with these two sides.

Windows 8 should have been an OS between Windows 7 and what we have now. They need to at least provide options for those strictly on the desktop.

You have options. But if you're waiting for Microsoft to bring back the Start Menu for whatever reason, don't hold your breath. It's dead in Windows 8, and buried in Windows 8 "Blue".

#249 xWhiplash

xWhiplash

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:41

You have options. But if you're waiting for Microsoft to bring back the Start Menu for whatever reason, don't hold your breath. It's dead in Windows 8, and buried in Windows 8 "Blue".

So that is the attitude now? Again, why do people protest? Should you go tell those people to just "accept" that they get 50% less money (or whatever they are protesting) and more work? Why do we have product reviews?

We have our right to be annoyed with MS and we can fight the decision if we want to. If enough people feel this way, MS better put things back.

#250 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:53

If enough people feel this way, MS better put things back.

Did they remove UAC after people protested it? No. Did they re-insert the classic 9x start menu in Win7 after people protested it? No. Are they going to bring it back after Windows 8? Not happening. Windows 8 "Blue" makes it clear Microsoft is going to focus on the new Start Screen, and Metro UX going forward.

#251 c.grz

c.grz

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 29 March 2013 - 13:03

So that is the attitude now? Again, why do people protest? Should you go tell those people to just "accept" that they get 50% less money (or whatever they are protesting) and more work? Why do we have product reviews?

We have our right to be annoyed with MS and we can fight the decision if we want to. If enough people feel this way, MS better put things back.

Protesting that you're not getting paid what you're worth and protesting that a company has removed a function in one of their products is not the same thing.

We understand that you're annoyed with MS and that you want to fight the decision; but why? Because your workflow has changed? Instead of saying; give me back my start menu why not say; "here are the changes I would like to see in the start screen."

I'm honestly baffled by this constant need to cling to the start menu. But if you want to continue to protest the change and ask that Microsoft bring back the start menu; go ahead.

For the record; I'm not "for" or "against" the start screen in Windows 8. I'm the kind of person that uses what's given to them and makes due. My wife on the other hand would be here fighting the same fight you are. She likes the way things are and she doesn't like to change.

#252 Deactivated.

Deactivated.

Posted 29 March 2013 - 15:13

In the end, (I can't believe I'm saying this) Dot Matrix and PGHammer are right. if you like Metro and ever intend to use the apps and Start screen environment, then you'll have to use 8 or one of its successors, but if you don't, then Windows 7 is a perfectly fine enough OS for running Win32 "legacy" apps. And since nothing much seems to be changing anymore on that front, you could probably use it for another decade, unless you ever have a need for Metro apps. Obviously Windows 8 can be made to work for Win32 apps, but even if that wasn't the case, it wouldn't really be an issue.

#253 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 29 March 2013 - 15:29

I know they won't bring the start menu back. But it would be funny if they did just to watch, Dot Matrix **** a brick!

#254 xWhiplash

xWhiplash

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 March 2013 - 15:43

Protesting that you're not getting paid what you're worth and protesting that a company has removed a function in one of their products is not the same thing.

We understand that you're annoyed with MS and that you want to fight the decision; but why? Because your workflow has changed? Instead of saying; give me back my start menu why not say; "here are the changes I would like to see in the start screen."

I'm honestly baffled by this constant need to cling to the start menu. But if you want to continue to protest the change and ask that Microsoft bring back the start menu; go ahead.

For the record; I'm not "for" or "against" the start screen in Windows 8. I'm the kind of person that uses what's given to them and makes due. My wife on the other hand would be here fighting the same fight you are. She likes the way things are and she doesn't like to change.

I feel the same way you do about the start screen. What I want to happen is a built in option to boot directly to the desktop and avoid the hot corners. I do not care about the start screen / start menu. But a lot of people do. That affects articles and word of mouth which is what Vista's main problem was.

#255 MFH

MFH

RAII fanatic

Posted 29 March 2013 - 16:16

Did they remove UAC after people protested it? No.

They did backtrack in 7 compared to Vista in regards of UAC...