Photo

Restore Start menu but limit it to Pro edition

• Please log in to reply
268 replies to this topic

#61 Deactivated.

Deactivated.

Posted 26 March 2013 - 17:43

Who needs a Start menu anymore once the Desktop is gone for good.

#62 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 26 March 2013 - 18:41

I just re-read your post. Now i'm thinking you are anti win8, though i'm still not entirely sure.

You are thinking wrong.

I have Windows 8 Pro.. so I am automatically anti Windows 8, huh?

What's wrong with you?

Like I said before, I don't care if Microsoft add/remove the features. I am not complaining about it. It is their decision.

I have used Linux, Windows, BeOS. I have not tried Mac Pro yet... but I have used iPhone, AppleTV, iPad.

They all work fine for me when I use them. No complaints there.

#63 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 26 March 2013 - 18:44

You are thinking wrong.

I have Windows 8 Pro.. so I am automatically anti Windows 8, huh?

What's wrong with you?

Like I said before, I don't care if Microsoft add/remove the features. I am not complaining about it. It is their decision.

I have used Linux, Windows, BeOS. I have not tried Mac Pro yet... but I have used iPhone, AppleTV, iPad.

They all work fine for me when I use them. No complaints there.

So then where you comparing the changes cars and grocery stores make to the changes Microsoft made with windows 8?

#64 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 26 March 2013 - 18:44

Which is really what many arguments regarding Metro boil down to. Its not just about the Start Menu or application launching. Its Start, Desktop, and Taskbar (ie a whole new UI paradigm) rolled together to accommodate coarse control mechanisms.

#65 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 26 March 2013 - 18:50

So then where you comparing the changes cars and grocery stores make to the changes Microsoft made with windows 8?

Forget it, you don't get it.. I was NOT comparing... I was talking about "MAKING CHANGES"... get it?

#66 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 26 March 2013 - 18:56

Forget it, you don't get it.. I was NOT comparing... I was talking about "MAKING CHANGES"... get it?

change huh? Well in that case I stand by "Hiding stuff comment". You never said anything about cars or grocery stores hiding anything, this is true. I'm the one talking about hiding stuff. Cars / Grocery stores and Windows 8 are 2 very different types of change. Cars / Grocery stores move things , Windows 8 hides them out of sight.

#67 Avi Patel

Avi Patel

Neowinian

Posted 26 March 2013 - 19:08

I still fail to understand so many people can't use the start screen.
it's the same basic thing....and you've got more space to put stuff on there.
it's just like a full-screen start menu... i mean, what's the problem in seeing that??

#68 XerXis

XerXis

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 26 March 2013 - 19:16

oh give it up already. There have been like a Thousand threads about it. Microsoft is not bringing it back, if you want it, you can install a third party start menu and everyone is happy.

#69 c.grz

c.grz

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 26 March 2013 - 19:16

I only go to windows 8 for playing games... windows 7 on the other hand, WORK.

I remember seeing a similar comment about 12 or so years ago. It went something like this:

I only go to windows xp for playing games...windows 2000 on the other hand, WORK.

#70 Gio Takahashi

Gio Takahashi

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 March 2013 - 19:37

I still fail to understand so many people can't use the start screen.
it's the same basic thing....and you've got more space to put stuff on there.
it's just like a full-screen start menu... i mean, what's the problem in seeing that??

That's precisely how I feel.

I never understood the extreme wailing toward the "lack of" start menu. Metro, aka Start Screen, is... pretty much the same thing, except better. Grouping's better. Everything's still there, and hell it looks better.

Then I see someone pointing out the fast access to the necessities: Control Panel, Search, Run, etc... That fast access is still there. Right click the bottom, left hand corner of the screen. All the said necessity is still there.

In my opinion, start screen made start menu redundant. I installed a start menu hack early on, and I found myself just... not using it at all, and eventually got rid of it, as I've already found myself preferring the start screen more. Personally I feel Start Screen could be a bit more customized (thank you Oblytile and Decor8). I don't see start menu coming back at all, nor would I support it being back at all.

But hey, it's your computer. You do what you want.

Now as for the desktop...

Who needs a Start menu anymore once the Desktop is gone for good.

That, alone, would be pretty much a business suicidal move. The rage regarding the 'lack' of start menu would be one thing, but the complete lack of desktop would be a whole another thing, especially since like... 99% of the software still rely on desktop.

#71 arachnoid

arachnoid

Times a Ticking

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 26 March 2013 - 19:45

When I need a screwdriver giving me a hammer and telling me its innovative and the new way of doing it doesn't really cut the mustard with me,if anything its just a Uniformly Insulting feature

#72 Gio Takahashi

Gio Takahashi

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 March 2013 - 19:47

When I need a screwdriver giving me a hammer and telling me its innovative and the new way of doing it doesn't really cut the mustard with me,if anything its just a Uniformly Insulting feature

...Except with Start Menu and Start Screen, I feel like that my screwdriver has been replaced with a sonic screwdriver-- a screwdriver with more bells and whistles > >

#73 arachnoid

arachnoid

Times a Ticking

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 26 March 2013 - 19:49

OOH SHINEY!............sounds about right for that one :D

#74 vetsanctified

sanctified

Your order is meaningless. My chaos is significant.

• Phone: iPhone 5 (very cheap second hand)

Posted 26 March 2013 - 19:52

they did ti with win 3.11 to 95, u didnt have a start menu back then and then wulla u have it, people were furious about it and didnt like it

Actually that's not true. Windows 95 was universally acclaimed.

#75 Order_66

Order_66

Neowinian

Posted 26 March 2013 - 20:08

The intent of the start screen is to phase out older devices that still rely on screen resolutions of less then 1024*768. Most users now use a screen size of 1366*768. on most systems the small menu wasn't using the space of a full screen so it was in fact leaving a dead space.

Yes because keeping something that works perfectly fine on lower resolutions AND higher resolutions is the wrong thing to do, we must throw random garbage all over the screen just for the sake of the free real estate.

/s