Why does Kotaku Hate Nintendo

They don't anticipate a profit so they don't waste money and resources porting the title. They anticipate profits from PC/360/PS3 but not the Wii U.

Companies don't qiss money away, cross their fingers and hope it was all worthwhile. Especially with things in that industry as unstable as they are now.

PC ports usually don't sell anywhere near the console version, and a large part of sales are probably made during steam sales(and sales events elsewhere) for far below msrp. So they're not making much of a profit off those yet they do them anyway. If they can make a game for the pc when it wont make anywhere close to the profit of the ps360 versions, there's really little reason why they couldn't for the wii u as well.

with a topic titled :

Nintendo?s Efforts To Explain The Wii U Just Took A Turn For The Absurd

there is no reason to use words like this other to bash / hate and Lie to people

http://kotaku.com/5992182/nintendos-efforts-to-explain-the-wii-u-just-took-a-turn-for-the-absurd

nothing Absurd about that topic other then Kotaku doing what they do best trash nintendo.

nothing Absurd about that topic other then Kotaku doing what they do best trash nintendo.

and now that I've been informed I have even less of an idea what you're trying to say

Because hating on nintendo has always been the "cool" thing to do everywhere on the internet(including here on these forums).

I don't hate Nintendo at all. I have enjoyed the games in the past. However, they can be so much more than what they are right now.

They placate to their fans too much and they need to be so much more.

If I ran Nintendo, I would reuse the hardware of the Wii U and put that hardware into a wireless Oculus Rift. I would work with those guys

and make a Nintendo version of that. I would focus all my energy on that and the 3DS.

The Wii U would be discontinued.

I would turn Nintendo into a gaming version of Pixar. In other words great stories with game-play that is fun and that appeals to many ages.

Game-play would be the center of what I would try to do. Our teams would focus on making game-play innovative and fun.

I would give the Nintendo core a couple of mainstays like Mario and Zelda, but would not focus on that. The focus would be on new IP that

is innovative and fresh.

I would get NintendoVR into as many stores as I could and give demos where I could. I would make sure that we can get 3rd parties on board because we can focus on being something that everyone picks up. I would also use some money to fill in bare spots in the line up from 3rd party exclusives.

This way we have titles that are high quality but that leave no room for bare spots after re-launch.

Because our solution is so unique, people who bought the PS4 or the next Xbox are likely to also pick up our VR solution.

I really like Nintendo, but they are too Japanese and fail to realize their potential globally.

the oculus rift is not going to be a mass seller an saviour of gaming. it's not even original, I could buy VR heasets like that with full, tilt turn and all that tracking over 10 years ago, they had the same ****ty resolution as the oculus to.

Haven't bothered with Nintendo since the Gamecube, and that was only for Resident Evil 4 / Remake / Zero. Other than that, Super Monkeyball Deluxe was a decent party game and I don't even recall the rest of the titles I owned (of which there were many) because they were all so unbelievably awful. Well, either that or the experience was vastly inferior to the Sony or Microsoft counterpart.

I've never really bothered with their handhelds, I guess I've always preferred my gaming to be static. I picked up a PSP last year for ?50, gave it a little internal makeover and now I use it to run NES/SNES/Master System/Mega Drive games and the odd PSX/PSP game. Even then though, it is more novelty than anything else and I very rarely touch it. Streets of Rage gets a good bashing every couple of months, but even that can be very ad-hoc and my love for that series borders on perversion!

I really don't get the Wii U branding. Wii U? Why not just Wii 2. Or a whole new name for a new console. Nintendo usually comes up with new names for new systems.

NES > SNES > Nintendo 64 > Gamecube > Wii

For the Handhelds they kept the Gameboy brand, which made sense because that brand had amazing consumer confidence in it, until they started making DS.

youre right about this - i had a friend ask me if the Wii U was just the new controller for the Wii. I had to explain to her that the Wii U is an entirely new system. She then proceeded to ask if Wii U games will play in the Wii. This, coming from a person who owns a Wii herself.

A couple years ago i was in a Gamestop and i overheard a customer asking if the 3DS was just a regular DS w/ 3D capabilities. The employee had to explain to the customer that the 3DS was an entirely new system.

Nintendo has failed to market their products successfully, and it's hurting their sales. Well, that and the fact that they have no new IP - ever.

I own the 3DS and love all the Mario games. I even played Zelda on it - something ive never cared about in the past.

I also own a Wii U. i got it as a toy. I still dont own a single Wii U game. i want to buy Mario U, but $60? no thanks. I love Mario games, but not that much. Nintendo really needs some new IP. And, as remixedcat said, Nintendo continues to pander to the casual gamer who likes 'small', short games like Angry Birds. it's pretty sad, really.

I also own a Wii U. i got it as a toy. I still dont own a single Wii U game. i want to buy Mario U, but $60? no thanks. I love Mario games, but not that much. Nintendo really needs some new IP. And, as remixedcat said, Nintendo continues to pander to the casual gamer who likes 'small', short games like Angry Birds. it's pretty sad, really.

:s

Have you actually LOOKED at what is available for the system?

I think a more apt question is "Why do people still read Kotaku?"

I find that sad cause I want to read them given they cover some interesting non mainstream stuff, but their site design is such a giant mess it makes my head explode.

Looking for a shoulder to cry on? If you don't like Kotaku, don't go there.

As for me, I own a Wii that is under dust... It's unused. And I don't see the Wii U as anything better. If I want to play with a tablet, i'll use my iPad.

youre right about this - i had a friend ask me if the Wii U was just the new controller for the Wii. I had to explain to her that the Wii U is an entirely new system. She then proceeded to ask if Wii U games will play in the Wii. This, coming from a person who owns a Wii herself.

A couple years ago i was in a Gamestop and i overheard a customer asking if the 3DS was just a regular DS w/ 3D capabilities. The employee had to explain to the customer that the 3DS was an entirely new system.

A couple prime examples of how i said the average consumer is too lazy and stupid to spend 2 minutes on google to attempt to educate themselves on something.

A couple prime examples of how i said the average consumer is too lazy and stupid to spend 2 minutes on google to attempt to educate themselves on something.

It's amazing how much of this could have easily been avoided with not adding a letter to the original console name. Wii 2 might not be very original, but it at least tells just about anyone that it's the next iteration of the console lineup.

I think a more apt question is "Why do people still read Kotaku?"

They do have some decent articles from time to time, just as Gizmodo does despite the bias some of their authors show with certain companies. I guess the way I see it is: who wants to get their information just from one source? I frequent everything from Joystiq/Massively, Kotaku/Gizmodo, The Verge, Engadget, Gamasutra, Reddit, and beyond. Sometimes it's good to have people be unreasonably favorable or critical, as it lets you see a well painted picture of how amazing something can be, and where the drawbacks lie. Through this, as a consumer, it can be much easier to determine what it is I want based on this outlook.

The big issue I have is when people lie. If you don't like something, cool. If you're going to outright lie about it, that's where I draw the line. I'll accept misunderstandings, misconceptions, or just plain out not knowing something, but I believe any decent author should check their feedback and fix/update their post accordingly. (much like what happens on Neowin)

Personally, I believe being critical of a company you love is the best way you can show your love for them. Otherwise, how can they improve? How can they be the best if you love everything? Companies don't need yes men, they need you all to critique their work whenever possible, and praise the things you like so they know what they actually got right. Saying, "Oh, it's good enough, stop hating" doesn't solve anything, especially for those where the company isn't meeting up to their standards.

We all have standards after all. Why expect some to lower theirs to your level just because you're content? Worst case scenario: you get a better product that can do more. Not sure how anyone can bitch about that.

(wrote this in a rush getting ready for work, may have to edit this later)

It's on par with the Xbox 360's processor, being slower in some areas but better in others.

Might I add there's never been any trust-worthy information about the relative power of the CPU as of yet. We know the clock speed is lower, but that doesn't mean much because it's a different and more efficient architecture than that used in the PS3 / 360.

Might I add there's never been any trust-worthy information about the relative power of the CPU as of yet. We know the clock speed is lower, but that doesn't mean much because it's a different and more efficient architecture than that used in the PS3 / 360.

You just kind of contradicted yourself. It might be more efficient, but we know so little about it it could be worse.

You just kind of contradicted yourself. It might be more efficient, but we know so little about it it could be worse.

I didn't make any allusions to how powerful it might actually be - just that a straight up comparison is most definitely not valid. As a side people should also keep in mind the next PS & Xbox are also using chips clocked noticeably lower than their current consoles, but their architecture and design is so much more modern and advanced that they still easily out play them. Of course again the Wii U isn't in the same league of efficiency as those chips, but its design is ahead of the 360 / PS3, which isn't much of surprise in all honesty - you'd have to be doing something really wrong to not come up with more efficient chips than those these days.

So it is more efficient than systems which are about the be replaced by their next gen successor?

Nintendo isn't going to have the kind of leg-up/gimmick they had with the Wii. This time around they are going to have to earn every inch and they are going to be technologically way behind.

I didn't make any allusions to how powerful it might actually be - just that a straight up comparison is most definitely not valid. As a side people should also keep in mind the next PS & Xbox are also using chips clocked noticeably lower than their current consoles, but their architecture and design is so much more modern and advanced that they still easily out play them. Of course again the Wii U isn't in the same league of efficiency as those chips, but its design is ahead of the 360 / PS3, which isn't much of surprise in all honesty - you'd have to be doing something really wrong to not come up with more efficient chips than those these days.

I ignore specs until they're official so I'll take the going theory on the next Xbox with a grain of salt. Or perhaps a beach of salt. Whichever.

I don't argue the Wii U is better, but I'd think it's mainly because of the GPGPU functionality rather than the processor. And it might not be enough. With devs saying 'we're not going to target it' but being evasive on why you have to think they really want to say 'because it sucks' but can't risk ****ing people off. :p