turn current windows into virtual machine

Hey so I have read a bunch and think this is possible. Can anyone comment on how smoothly the process generally is.

I want to create an image of my current windows installation. format the computer and install a server edition on it. Then install hyperV and run the windows installation that I had as a VM.

I know there is issues with HAL and I have read a bunch of posts about that. does this sound manageable as a weekend project? I would hate to lose my current windows installation. Really don't feel like redoing everything.

Haha yeah VM's standalone converter... I remember that, you have to install something on the PC you want to virtualise, then install the converter on another PC, run it and have an ESXi server up and running to import it into or setup some daft VMware workstation system on that PC. Glad I only ever needed to convert one server.

+1 again for Disk2VHD. Used it on a old server that I wanted to repurpose the hardware. Slapped it on a Hyper-V Server and off I went. :)

God damn it, where was this thread a few weeks ago? I literally spent 10 hours DDing a Disk to an image file and then back into a Virtual Container. Bookmarked Disk2VHD

• Like 1