microsoft windows 8

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 botham

botham

Neowinian

• 21 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 18:32

Am I correct here in thinking that Google extended the support for Calendar ActiveSync to continue working until July 31, yet Microsoft is yanking the Google Calendar option now, but not adding in CalDAV support in?

So Google was screwing customers, then gave more time so Microsoft could support the new way Google was forcing people onto, now Microsoft is screwing customers by yanking the option early and not adding in the new way Google offers? :dizzy:

If I remember correctly that was only for WP8. W8 was screwed from Jan 31st. (unless I am extremely wrong)

#17 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 16,168 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1u1

Posted 25 March 2013 - 18:34

at least the mail app is finally getting the ability to created and edit folders been wanting that for a while.

#18 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• 19,326 posts
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 25 March 2013 - 18:39

Google doesn't control CalDAV, of course MS can add support for it if they wanted to, that doesn't say much. And having to beg Google to get whitelisted just to get support? Give me a break.

#19 Hurmoth

Hurmoth

Neowinian Senior

• 21,068 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 18:43

Google doesn't control CalDAV, of course MS can add support for it if they wanted to, that doesn't say much. And having to beg Google to get whitelisted just to get support? Give me a break.

Microsoft is already whitelisted, can't you read? http://www.zdnet.com...one-7000012633/

They're not begging for anything they don't already have. Now, they may have to get a new product whitelisted, but that shouldn't be difficult. Why would Google whitelist a product (WP8) that barely has any marketshare, and probably never will, compared to a product like Windows, which is most likely destined to be a major marketshare grabber?

[edit] Also, if ZDnet isn't enough of a source to see Microsoft is already on the whitelist, here's Engadget too: http://www.engadget....-windows-phone/

"Microsoft made the whitelist for the CalDAV sync interface, which is now shelved to all but developers who get Mountain View's green light."

#20 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• 10,726 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 25 March 2013 - 19:24

well unlike mobile where Google has majority market share and can bully Microsoft, with Windows the tables are turned. The onus is on Google to support Windows Mail with whatever protocol it has and not in mobile where the onus is on Microsoft because they have a tiny share. It's dirty politics I guess.
I'd still blame only Google for dropping a defacto but better standard in favor of some walled garden version of *DAV they are using.

#21 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

• 2,244 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:15

I'm downloading the updates now, will update once done. :)

EDIT: Ok, so it's pretty great. The first thing I noticed is that the apps are much, much faster. Calendar is much more readable, the mail app responds much quicker, just overall much snappier and a much better experience. People app flies now, I might actually use it for more than a glorified address book.

Overall happy. Not too many changes but if they keep this up I'll be happy camper. Now if only we could get Xbox Music the same treatment.

#22 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:24

Updates arrived here too

#23 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• 12,774 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:34

**** why did MS totally pull EAS support?! Google grandfathered existing users in but I lost it because of this stupid update...

#24 OP +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 18,984 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:47

**** why did MS totally pull EAS support?! Google grandfathered existing users in but I lost it because of this stupid update...

Write MS about that one. They had until July 31st but they cut it off sooner without users having another option.

#25 Evolution

Evolution

Neowinian Senior

• 4,557 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 00:06

How do we reduce the front size? All of the message titles are ridiculously big!