samsung cyanogen

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 19,081 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 20:27

Steve "Cyanogen" Kondik, founder and lead developer of CyanogenMod, has left his role as software engineer at Samsung Mobile, after 19 months at the company. Notifying his followers on Google+, Kondik notes his departure in a long piece commenting on Samsung's new Galaxy S4 handset, stating that he "just decided to do something new."

"Touchwiz feels like it has been sent a few years back in time to the Froyo days."

Before leaving Samsung, Kondik had some time to play with his former employer's new flagship. While he praises the Galaxy S4 for its specifications, which he says "blows the competition out of the water," his comments on Samsung's modifications to its TouchWiz UI aren't so complementary. The Android developer believes that TouchWiz now "feels like it has been sent a few years back in time to the Froyo days."
Kondik joined Samsung in August 2011, stating that he would be working "on making Android more awesome." He also continued his work on CyanogenMod, albeit as part of a "side project." Judging by his comments on his Google+ post, Kondik leaves Samsung on good terms, noting that the company "was great," and he may already have another role lined up, telling followers to "ask me in a couple of months."

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/25/4144226/steve-cyanogen-kondik-departs-samsung

#2 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

• 6,001 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 20:32

I agree with him, touchwiz is becoming as bloated and dated as Sense used to be. Stock Android would probably be incredibly fast on Samsung's phones.

#3 OP +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 19,081 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 20:34

I agree with him, touchwiz is becoming as bloated and dated as Sense used to be. Stock Android would probably be incredibly fast on Samsung's phones.

Even the 3rd party launchers available in the App Store are much better than TW. I use the APEX launcher myself and notice no performance differences over the stock. APEX has a stick look to it but adds more features.

#4 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,735 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 25 March 2013 - 20:36

Not sure why this is such a huge deal - is it really news when someone leaves a company, let alone he's not even an important figure like a CEO, president, etc. The S4 preview was nice, but meh to this news story. I will agree with Kondik - Touchwiz has never appealed to me - it looks unprofessional, and it's massively bloated.

#5 The_Observer

The_Observer

Apples, Bananas, Rhinoceros!

• 3,966 posts
  • Phone: iPhone5s

Posted 25 March 2013 - 20:37

Would be great if you get the SG4 with stock androd!

#6 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,735 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 25 March 2013 - 20:42

Would be great if you get the SG4 with stock androd!

This is the major advantage of Android - the development community, you will get stock Android ROM's on the S4. Also, who knows, the next Nexus could be based off the S4.

#7 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• 3,879 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 25 March 2013 - 20:44

I agree with everyone in here! and him! lol.. I actually JUST ordered a Nexus 4 and I am beyond exicted! Even thought it isn't LTE (in 'Muria") I still picked it over all the other Android phones because it is stock Android.. and it has great support from Ubuntu! I didn't want to get the Galaxy 4 with bloated crap.

#8 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:04

The one great thing about Android is if you don't like something you can always change it.

#9 Somnus

Somnus

Ban this ^^^ guy!

• 537 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 16:13

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 LTE and I would stock Android on it. Anyone have a link of where I can accomplish this?

#10 PsYcHoKiLLa

PsYcHoKiLLa

Views expressed are not necessarily those of the management

• 1,310 posts
  • Phone: LG Nexus 4

Posted 26 March 2013 - 16:20

All the manufacturers bloat up these phones when the core OS is perfectly fine and doesn't need anything that the user hasn't chosen.

Wonder where Klondik is going now then, Google? LG?

#11 +Chris123NT

Chris123NT

Win8 Master

• 2,838 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 16:26

It is fast, I use CyanogenMod on my S3 and it's awesome. I like it a LOT more than touchwiz.

#12 Teebor

Teebor

Neowinian Senior

• 3,650 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 17:01

It is fast, I use CyanogenMod on my S3 and it's awesome. I like it a LOT more than touchwiz.

I did this on my old Galaxy S and even on that phone it went so much faster. I do miss the Samsung keyboard however as I've not found an alternative that works quite the same way (yet)

#13 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

• 6,001 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 18:45

I still have a Galaxy S and I use Mackay ROM on it (branched from CM). It's not massively fast but it holds together reasonably well for an old phone (apart from the Facebook app which seems to lag the living daylights out of it)

#14 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,202 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 19:06

Every manufacturer puts their "layer" on top of Android, to a greater or lesser degree. It's not just a "look and feel", TouchWiz is also a suite of apps and app replacements that Samsung throw on. Some are ok, some are not. Same with Sense... These days some parts are ok, are not. The only manufacturer who's additions I like are Sony's.

As for running (as near as) stock Android on Galaxy models... I have an old S2 knocking about running an AOKP build. It rates similarly speeded as my Note 2 does under TouchWiz. I can only imagine how an S4 would perform.

And why is this news? The guy was a software engineer on the best selling Android phone, he was a software and project lead on the most popular custom ROM. His opinion on Android matters, or at least should matter.

#15 Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

• 20,243 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 26 March 2013 - 19:12

Stock Android, to me, is like Windows without hardware drivers.

Sometimes you need some of the Samsung software installed to take full advantage of some of the hardware. Same with the other manufacturers.