google pixel

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#16 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

• 4,519 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:49

hmm,nobody is buying the $200 versions, lets make a version that's 8x more expensive.

#17 OP +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 16,697 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:13

hmm,nobody is buying the $200 versions, lets make a version that's 8x more expensive.

http://techcrunch.co...t-3-months-ago/
http://www.phonearen...rome-OS_id40994

Granted, not great numbers considering its over 2yrs and Google really has done nothing to promote the device and neither have the OEMs.

#18 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:38

The $200 one is selling well enough but the $1400 one is a bit insane to me.

#19 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

• 4,519 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:55

http://techcrunch.co...t-3-months-ago/
http://www.phonearen...rome-OS_id40994

Granted, not great numbers considering its over 2yrs and Google really has done nothing to promote the device and neither have the OEMs.

to put the numbers into context, the amount of chromebooks they sold in 2 years is less than the amount of windows licenses sold in one day. im just saying this just seems like a hobby project and not serious. throwing **** and seeing if it sticks. the whole concept is flawed.

#20 OP +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 16,697 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:24

to put the numbers into context, the amount of chromebooks they sold in 2 years is less than the amount of windows licenses sold in one day. im just saying this just seems like a hobby project and not serious. throwing **** and seeing if it sticks. the whole concept is flawed.

'

And I agree...mostly. Google hasnt been doing anything to promote the Chromebook or the OS. Tho, there is interest in it and who knows how much more there would be if Google marketed it better. It will never equal or surpass Windows sales tho.

#21 Luis Mazza

Luis Mazza

Neowinian

• 1,733 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:14

Google spends money only for the sake of showing off. It's getting boring... google glasses and that Google founder-model-wannabe included. :x

#22 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:07

Put in that content only Android and iOS is doing well. LInux, Mac, Chromebooks all are meh.

#23 Mr Nom Nom's

Mr Nom Nom's

Neowinian Senior

• 2,308 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S 'Space Grey' (64GB)

Posted 01 April 2013 - 17:43

Maybe it is just me but it seems that this is a product looking for a problem to solve when what they should have done is work with Android and scale it up and focus on low cost laptops and tablets rather than quite frankly expensive pie in the sky ideas such as the Chrome Book. Don't get me wrong, if it was that price but it had something to justify that price point then I could see the appeal but I'm confused as to why this would even take off in the first place as we've already gone down this road in the past - anyone remember the 'Network Computer' that was owned by the CEO of Oracle - the vision of 'everything on the internet'? anyone remember the JavaStation where the vision was once again everything run via the network using Java? then anyone remember the recent re-invention of this idea by Sun with the SunRay where you could have a Tarantella connection to a centralised computer and pay for the computer capacity you need - again, fell flat on its face. I mean, am I the only one seeing this as yet another attempt at a failed paradigm, "maybe this time we'll get it right" ignoring the fundamental basis of it is flawed?

#24 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:37

Most people, including myself, who get and use a Chromebook regularly love them. They are so drop dead simple to use. They are generally problem free. And for people who live online, like me, there is generally do difference from using Windows or Linux.

Just today I upload some songs to Drive that was in the FLAC format. I then went to Online Convertor and converted those to MP3. I read some email, and worked some in a spreadsheet from work that I had uploaded to Drive. I am posting on Neowin and am checking Facebook. My wife had sent me a updated photo of myself that she had taken yesterday via email, so I opened Pilxr and tweaked it a bit and then uploaded it to Facebook. I'm going to watch the Linux Action Show in a bit.

I'm not sure I would have done any differently if I had any other OS. I realize other people have different needs and wants but it works for me.

#25 OP +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 16,697 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:44

Most people, including myself, who get and use a Chromebook regularly love them. They are so drop dead simple to use. They are generally problem free.

And why Chromebooks would be perfect for older people who do not use a computer, or do not use a computer often, and want to do the basics with a simple/cheap device.

There is a use for Chromebooks and people need to stop comparing them to sales of other devices. They are in a class of their own.

#26 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,253 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:01

There is a use for Chromebooks and people need to stop comparing them to sales of other devices. They are in a class of their own.

No they're not. They're just laptops and deserve to be compared to the competition.

#27 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,644 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:06

I can only see this being a niche product, sales are hardly likely to be explosive.

The cheaper chromebooks will be great for people that want to just do a bit of basic web usage but the CB Pixel simply won't sell at that price. More competition can only be a good thing for consumers however

#28 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,293 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5 16 GB

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:44

Most people, including myself, who get and use a Chromebook regularly love them. They are so drop dead simple to use. They are generally problem free. And for people who live online, like me, there is generally do difference from using Windows or Linux.

That right there is a pro and a major con. The fact that you're limited to running apps exclusively on their web store is terrible by design. Personally, I don't see the point of Chromebooks - you can't run any of the apps you'd need/want. I'd rather do it the way I do it - buy a 11.6" netbook (I got the Asus S200E - Core i3/4GB RAM/128 GB SSD) with Windows 8 - just use cloud services, and use any application you want to run.

#29 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• 17,370 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:48

No they're not. They're just laptops and deserve to be compared to the competition.

Chromebooks are different in a sense their software limits them to merely opening a browser. :p

#30 +Chris123NT

Chris123NT

Win8 Master

• 2,778 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:57

100 MB of data? I could chew through that in an hour just doing basic browsing these days. And no that does not count youtube videos as basic browsing.

When I travel I use a 4G LTE hotspot for my laptop (because hotel wifi sucks balls). I have a 6 GB per month limit and easily go through half that in 2-3 weekends on the road.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!