Heart attack coming on? Yep, you guessed it: There?s an app for that.

A new medical device could turn your phone into a lifesaver; the tiny implant monitors your blood and can send a warning to your smartphone if it detects potentially life-saving problems.

The device, developed by a team of scientists at Ecole Polytechnique F?d?rale de Lausanne (EPFL) in Switzerland is the world?s smallest such implement ever; using Bluetooth, it transmits data to your phone and could even warn you if you?re about to have a heart attack.

Often in the moments before a heart attack, fatigued or oxygen starved muscles begin to break down, and fragments of a heart-specific smooth muscle protein -- triponin -- are dumped into the blood. If this can be detected before disruption of the heart rhythm or an actual heart attack, lifesaving pre-emptive treatment can arrive in time to save a life.

The device can also track levels of glucose, lactate and ATP providing valuable data for physiological monitoring.

Outside the body, a battery patch provides the 100 milliwatts of power the device needs, sucking juice via wireless inductive charging off the skin.

Dr. Leigh Vinocur, from LSU Health Science Center, said the implant has many potential uses, including monitor glucose levels for diabetics and helping prevent deaths from heart disease.

more

You have 1 new message from: The Grim Reaper.

"I've just been checking our systems, and it appears that you're about to die. I'll be with you shortly."

You have 1 new message from: The Grim Reaper.

"I've just been checking our systems, and it appears that you're about to die. I'll be with you shortly."

I'll probably die right then and there.

Now if we just had a app for when people are being stupid. :p

When people have a heartbeat chances are they are being stupid. So no need to have an app for that.

...can it help with awkward craps? .... "the system shows you are due for a poo in 50 minutes" ...gives you enough time to leave that hot chicks house before you get all panicy about sharting your knickers

Great, but what happens if your smartphone receives a cross network message from someone else's implant and tells you by mistake you're going to die???

Great, but what happens if your smartphone receives a cross network message from someone else's implant and tells you by mistake you're going to die???

Thats why both Apple and Google have a (a)(g)PNS ;)

Great -- you are having a heart attack, and need to get to the hospital, but can't find your car keys, and you use Apple maps. :p