Windows resize after turning off monitor...

I got a new monitor recently. The last one I bought was over 6 years ago I think. Not sure if this is common place now but my PC now recognizes when I turn off / on my monitor as I get the notification sound.

That part I don't mind. What I do mind is what happens to all my open windows. For whatever reason, Windows decides to resize all my windows to small ones. This happens even if I have the windows maximized. Is there any way to prevent this from happening?

I am using display port and I've been thinking about switching to HDMI to see if that makes any difference.

There is some talk here...

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/4d8f3aef-8c04-481b-a69a-ec0fbf3669c2/

The registry edits that are mentioned actually do work but new entries keep appearing and I have to keep making the changes to the resolutions within each registry setting. I'd like to avoid this solution if possible

I have had this problem with display port driven monitors too. Something like when displayport starts up it sets the screen resolution to 1024x768 and then resets it to the resolution you had previously but by this time all the windows have resized. I would try using a HDMI cable instead as I dont have this issue on my HDMI driven monitor on my multi monitor setup