Caps lock or shift?

Caps Lock or Shift?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Caps Lock or Shift?

So I've noticed at work that people use Caps Lock instead of Shift for single letters at the start of a sentence so like:

Caps Lock - t - Caps Lock - he quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog

rather than

Shift - t - he quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog

So I was curious, how many people use Caps Lock over Shift? I barely use my caps lock, I tend to just hold shift if I'm typing an acroynm.

i know a lot of people here were i work, mostly in finance, that will do this as well, there are even sadly groups of people that just keep caps lock on and it is very annoying.

My caps lock key is disabled so I dont press it by accident

Never use it. Even when typing whole sentences, I try to type with all my fingers (not the proper way though, just taught myself) so its pretty easy just to hold shift with my pinky and type.

fun fact: always the right shift too. I guess its because I'm right handed, I never use the left shift.

My caps lock key is disabled so I dont press it by accident

Never use it. Even when typing whole sentences, I try to type with all my fingers (not the proper way though, just taught myself) so its pretty easy just to hold shift with my pinky and type.

fun fact: always the right shift too. I guess its because I'm right handed, I never use the left shift.

I'm right-handed, and I never use the right shift. Curious.

I'm right-handed, and I never use the right shift. Curious.

I've never dreamed of the right shift, in fact I don't think i've ever used it and im right handed. My left hand never leaves the keyboard lol
  • Like 2

I've never dreamed of the right shift, in fact I don't think i've ever used it and im right handed. My left hand never leaves the keyboard lol

same never used the right shift unless absolutely needed.

I agree never used the caps lock and use the shift even if i have to type a whole sentence, caps lock is pretty defunct on my keyboards.

Like Guth, I have disabled the Caps Lock. Unlike him, I use the left shift key. Probably because I learned to type on a typewriter, had to use both back then. Was very happy when I was able to hit the keys hard enough to just use the right shift. :D

Edit: left half my post out!

Only time I use caps lock is in the rare instance of needing to type an entire sentence in caps. Otherwise, it's left shift all the way, even though I'm right handed.. hmmm.

Caps lock is pretty much useless these days for most people--save, say, entering data on a spreadsheet or something. I think for every legitimate need for it, there are approximately 7.5 million instances of it accidentally having been pressed and causing someone to mistype their password too many times >.<

Proper way to type is using the Shift key (like I just did..three times!), that's how we were taught in college to type by a typing tutor, all those years ago.

Only time I use caps lock is in the rare instance of needing to type an entire sentence in caps. Otherwise, it's left shift all the way, even though I'm right handed.. hmmm.

Caps lock is pretty much useless these days for most people--save, say, entering data on a spreadsheet or something. I think for every legitimate need for it, there are approximately 7.5 million instances of it accidentally having been pressed and causing someone to mistype their password too many times >.<

We have a lady at work that does that on Sametime (Lotus Notes chat). She'll type something like:

dID YOU GET THE MEMO ABOUT THE tps reports?

TPS is back in lower-case as she'll have pressed Caps Lock without realising it was already on.

lol, spikey_richie yes! It took me ages to figure out how this has to happen--they were looking at the keyboard for the entire sentence and never looked up. I guess since I've touch-typed for like twenty years now, it never even occurred to me that someone would do it this way. I see sENTENCES LIKKE THIS ALL THETIME ON fACEBOOK...

• Like 1

Is it because you guys are american that you use the left shift? (IE. are the keyboards different)

my left shift key is tiny, I guess I use the right because its bigger.

I just assumed everyone used that one but im the odd one out lol

Shift for me too unless its typing a sentence in caps, I usually will do like others and just hold shift for the odd word or two in caps. Interestingly until I started typing this I would have sworn I used the left shift as I type but I do use the right also - I think another poll is required, right handed - right shift.

I am one of these retarded people however who writes with a pen in his right hand but will hold a fork in his right hand so I wouldn't count the right hand/shift combo any more normal.

I have no idea why anyone would use Caps Lock for that.

My Caps Lock key is programmed as the Windows key because my keyboard doesn't have a Windows key. I made a keyboard shortcut for Caps Lock using AutoHotkey, which can be activated by holding Shift and pressing Caps Lock. I also cannot remember the last time I used Caps Lock on purpose.

Shift

I only use CAPS for things like entering wireless keys I'm reading from the back of the router if they are all in upper case, or if the upper case sentence is going to be more than a word long

Is it because you guys are american that you use the left shift? (IE. are the keyboards different)

my left shift key is tiny, I guess I use the right because its bigger.

I just assumed everyone used that one but im the odd one out lol

Has nothing to do with being American, they aren't touch typing, and are using one hand to type with while holding down the shift key. Which one they are using is different for each, sometimes because of which is their dominant hand (right/left) or just preference.
  • Like 2

Has nothing to do with being American, they aren't touch typing, and are using one hand to type with while holding down the shift key. Which one they are using is different for each, sometimes because of which is their dominant hand (right/left) or just preference.

Good point but I would've assumed most of our members here could type with both hands? Perhaps not touch type but atleast their own form of touch typing (like I do)

However, that is quite funy as thats what my dad does. Whole hand for 1 key xD

I'm not suprised at how the poll is going right now (15 for shift, 0 for caps-lock), since it actually seems bizarre to me to use the caps-lock key for anything other than some all-caps typing. I'm a little suprised to see how many of the responders here are not touch typing.

Good point but I would've assumed most of our members here could type with both hands? Perhaps not touch type but atleast their own form of touch typing (like I do)

However, that is quite funy as thats what my dad does. Whole hand for 1 key xD

So, when you said that you always use the right shift (if I remember correctly), then when you type keys on the right of the keyboard with your right hand, you're also holding down the right shift with your right pinkie? Sounds awkward.