Photo

Caps lock or shift?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

Poll: Caps Lock or Shift?

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Caps Lock or Shift?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Skiver

Skiver

Neowinian Senior

• 3,225 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 13:57

Shift for me too unless its typing a sentence in caps, I usually will do like others and just hold shift for the odd word or two in caps. Interestingly until I started typing this I would have sworn I used the left shift as I type but I do use the right also - I think another poll is required, right handed - right shift.

I am one of these retarded people however who writes with a pen in his right hand but will hold a fork in his right hand so I wouldn't count the right hand/shift combo any more normal.

#17 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 23,321 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 26 March 2013 - 13:59

Shift. I don't recall when I last used Caps Lock on purpose.

#18 Lee G.

Lee G.

Neowinian Senior

• 10,393 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 14:01

I have no idea why anyone would use Caps Lock for that.

My Caps Lock key is programmed as the Windows key because my keyboard doesn't have a Windows key. I made a keyboard shortcut for Caps Lock using AutoHotkey, which can be activated by holding Shift and pressing Caps Lock. I also cannot remember the last time I used Caps Lock on purpose.

#19 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 14:01

Shift

I only use CAPS for things like entering wireless keys I'm reading from the back of the router if they are all in upper case, or if the upper case sentence is going to be more than a word long

#20 NoPanShabuShabu

NoPanShabuShabu

Neowinian

• 78 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 14:02

Is it because you guys are american that you use the left shift? (IE. are the keyboards different)
my left shift key is tiny, I guess I use the right because its bigger.
I just assumed everyone used that one but im the odd one out lol

Has nothing to do with being American, they aren't touch typing, and are using one hand to type with while holding down the shift key. Which one they are using is different for each, sometimes because of which is their dominant hand (right/left) or just preference.

#21 Guth

Guth

Alba Gu Bráth

• 803 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 26 March 2013 - 14:04

Has nothing to do with being American, they aren't touch typing, and are using one hand to type with while holding down the shift key. Which one they are using is different for each, sometimes because of which is their dominant hand (right/left) or just preference.

Good point but I would've assumed most of our members here could type with both hands? Perhaps not touch type but atleast their own form of touch typing (like I do)
However, that is quite funy as thats what my dad does. Whole hand for 1 key xD

#22 NoPanShabuShabu

NoPanShabuShabu

Neowinian

• 78 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 14:07

I'm not suprised at how the poll is going right now (15 for shift, 0 for caps-lock), since it actually seems bizarre to me to use the caps-lock key for anything other than some all-caps typing. I'm a little suprised to see how many of the responders here are not touch typing.

#23 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,462 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 14:10

Shift. I rarely use my caps lock key.

#24 Damien R.

Damien R.

XXIX

• 120,128 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy

Posted 26 March 2013 - 14:11

Shift

#25 NoPanShabuShabu

NoPanShabuShabu

Neowinian

• 78 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 14:11

Good point but I would've assumed most of our members here could type with both hands? Perhaps not touch type but atleast their own form of touch typing (like I do)
However, that is quite funy as thats what my dad does. Whole hand for 1 key xD

So, when you said that you always use the right shift (if I remember correctly), then when you type keys on the right of the keyboard with your right hand, you're also holding down the right shift with your right pinkie? Sounds awkward.

#26 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• 4,545 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 14:12

Is it because you guys are american that you use the left shift? (IE. are the keyboards different)
my left shift key is tiny, I guess I use the right because its bigger.
I just assumed everyone used that one but im the odd one out lol

I type the same way on UK and US keyboards... just what I'm used to I suppose :)

#27 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• 8,382 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 14:26

I AM SORRY, I CAN'T READ. WOULD YOU PLEASE INCREASE YOUR FONT SIZE.

Just kidding.

People are entitled to their perferences when they come up to their keyboard. I guess depends what they learn from typing class at their school.

I learned typing on my own computer myself when I got my computer. Before that, I typed with my 2 index fingers.

hAVE FUN, nEOWIN PEOPLE!

heheh

#28 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Resident Misanthrope

• 5,689 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 14:27

Left Shift, mostly.
Except when entering passwords with one hand, for instance - because I want to check Neowin at work and I'm stuffing face at the same time.
Caps Lock still serves a purpose in some games, where toggle type keys are useful.

#29 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• 4,545 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 14:30

Left Shift, mostly.
Except when entering passwords with one hand, for instance - because I want to check Neowin at work and I'm stuffing face at the same time.
Caps Lock still serves a purpose in some games, where toggle type keys are useful.

Eating... right. :shifty:

#30 Richteralan

Richteralan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,359 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4 E960

Posted 26 March 2013 - 14:31

I use shift on the opposite hand of the letter been capitalized.