Photo

Caps lock or shift?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

Poll: Caps Lock or Shift?

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Caps Lock or Shift?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Guth

Guth

Alba Gu Bráth

• 811 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia

Posted 26 March 2013 - 14:34

So, when you said that you always use the right shift (if I remember correctly), then when you type keys on the right of the keyboard with your right hand, you're also holding down the right shift with your right pinkie? Sounds awkward.

not at all. My two index fingers are on F and J. I just move my pinky on my right hand a little bit and hold down shift. I dont move my hands at all when I type. However, its not the *correct* way to touch type as I never actually learned. I just taught myself. I use some of the wrong fingers for some keys. But mostly its correct.

#32 Buttus

Buttus

Neowinian Senior

• 3,360 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 14:41

My wife uses Caps lock and it really annoys me. A waste of a button press.

same here, the click noise that the key makes gets on my nerves for some reason! luckily, i told her and she slowly got used to using the shift key instead

#33 Mark

Mark

(: ollǝɥ

• 3,780 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 14:46

UK - Right handed - left shift key.

I think people who don't use computers often, or have recently (as in over the past few years) use caps lock.

Why? I guess it might make more sense to them. Some keyboards actually have "caps lock" written on the key whereas shift keys just have an up arrow which isn't very telling as to it's function.

not at all. My two index fingers are on F and J. I just move my pinky on my right hand a little bit and hold down shift. I dont move my hands at all when I type. However, its not the *correct* way to touch type as I never actually learned. I just taught myself. I use some of the wrong fingers for some keys. But mostly its correct.

Do you have particularly small hands? I find it very uncomfortable to hit the right shift key in normal typing position with my right-little-finger.

I always use the pinky on my left hand for the left shift :)

#34 OP spikey_richie

spikey_richie

XXXIII

• 2,590 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 26 March 2013 - 14:47

I think people who don't use computers often, or have recently (as in over the past few years) use caps lock.

Why? I guess it might make more sense to them. Some keyboards actually have "caps lock" written on the key whereas shift keys just have an up arrow which isn't very telling as to it's function.

Actually that's a good point. My grandad is in his 70's and has only used a word processor/PC for the last 10-15 years. He used to type on a typewriter in the 60's as an accountant and he uses shift. I think also some laptop users prefer caps lock over shift as the key is within reach.

#35 +Bryan R.

Bryan R.

Neowinian Senior

• 4,616 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 14:51

so which one of us is strange xD haha

We need another poll to resolve this! :D

#36 McKay

McKay

Worth the weight

• 6,022 posts
  • Phone: Xperia Z3

Posted 26 March 2013 - 14:51

My wife uses Caps lock and it really annoys me. A waste of a button press.

My Dad doubleclicks Hyperlinks, and will type "ebay" in the address bar and hit enter, instead of adding ".co.uk" on the end.

Posted Image

#37 OP spikey_richie

spikey_richie

XXXIII

• 2,590 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 26 March 2013 - 14:56

Do it :)

#38 Mark

Mark

(: ollǝɥ

• 3,780 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 15:04

I only use caps lock when I'm angry. Luckily for you, I'm in a good mood. :|

My Dad doubleclicks Hyperlinks, and will type "ebay" in the address bar and hit enter, instead of adding ".co.uk" on the end.

I've been using computers for many years and I do that out of laziness.... :shifty:

Can't stand people who don't know there double click icons from their hyperlinks.

I think it's fair to say both of you win.

#39 Solid Knight

Solid Knight

Neowinian Senior

• 5,140 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 15:05

I almost never use caps lock.

#40 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,802 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 26 March 2013 - 15:12

My coworker was using the caps lock key to capitalize ALL the letters, regardless if it was the beginning of the sentence or something mid-sentence. It drove me nuts, and I had to teach them about the Shift key.

#41 Rohdekill

Rohdekill

Neowinian Senior

• 3,627 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 15:19

I only use caps lock when working in SQL; lower case just doesn't look right in SQL to me. Never saw or heard of anyone hitting caps lock just for a single letter though.

#42 joemailey

joemailey

Neowinian

• 404 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 16:05

I use the left shift all the time. scratch that turns out I used right shift more, just noticed that as I was typing this reply lol
Only ever time I use caps lock is if I'm setting up PCs/I.T work and I have to type specifically with caps.

#43 tytytucke

tytytucke

Neowinian

• 711 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 16:23

I would say caps lock is useful only when gaming. Using WASD to control movement and using space, shift, and caps lock as other actions. These keys require the least amount of movement and they are easy to find.

#44 paul0544

paul0544

Neowinian

• 130 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 16:30

I always use the pinky on my left hand for the left shift :)

Same!

#45 +JTA

JTA

Neowinian

• 86 posts
  • Phone: GNex

Posted 26 March 2013 - 20:40

One of my "problem users" has an odd way of entering her user name to log on:

CapsLock on - IPF - Shift - reely - Caps off

Boggles my mind every time I see it.