alabama religious diversity allowed eggs tolorance

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
77 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,922 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 22:33

Boys and girls at an Alabama elementary school will still get to hunt for eggs – but they can’t call them ‘Easter Eggs’ have the principal banished the word for the sake of religious diversity.

“We had in the past a parent to question us about some of the things we do here at school,” said Heritage Elementary School principal Lydia Davenport. “So we’re just trying to make sure we respect and honor everybody’s differences.”

Television station WHNT reported that teachers were informed that no activities related to or centered around any religious holiday would be allowed – in the interest of religious diversity.

“Kids love the bunny and we just make sure we don’t say ‘the Easter Bunny’ so that we don’t infringe on the rights of others because people relate the Easter bunny to religion,” she told the television station. “ A bunny is a bunny and a rabbit is a rabbit.”

Teachers had planned to have an Easter egg-themed quiz bowl where boys and girls would ring in with egg buzzers and search for answers hidden in Easter eggs.

“I don’t get upset about too many things, but this upsets me,” one parent wrote to the television station. “Even non-believers enjoy a good egg hunt. Kids need to enjoy being kids.”

Davenport reconsidered the ban after meeting with district leaders – but she still won’t allow teachers to use the word ‘Easter.’

“We compromised by allowing teachers to use other different kinds of shapes besides eggs in the classroom,” she told the television station.

But the good news, according to Madison City School Board member Phil Schmidt is that students are going to be allowed to have eggs.

“The principal was trying to be extremely cautious about having anything religious in the school – probably more cautious than she needed to be.,” he told Fox News. “In this world of schools, it’s probably better to be cautious than reckless. But at the same time you’ve got to use good judgment about it.”

Schmidt said Madison is a very religious community and when it comes to beliefs – they are diverse and tolerant.

At the same time – he said it’s important to put things in perspective.

“Don’t over think it,” he said. “It’s the Easter Bunny. People have known there are multi-colored eggs that have been a symbol of Easter for a long, long, long, long time. I don’t think you want to over think it. I don’t think our parents want us to over think it.”

And besides, Schmidt pointed out – they even have an Easter Egg Roll at the White House.

“So having Easter eggs at a school doesn’t seem like it would be a huge stretch,” he said.

source

#2 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 26 March 2013 - 22:43

Easter was orginally a fertility holiday, hence the eggs

#3 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 00:24

It seems like the stupidest people get into positions of authority over our children.

#4 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,922 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 00:26

God forbid some Muslim or Hindu or Buddhist children are taken over by our 'Christian' religions. :rolleyes:

#5 Solid Knight

Solid Knight

Neowinian Senior

• 5,140 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:23

They shouldn't celebrate any holidays at all.

#6 compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• 8,508 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:59

An atheist for Easter.

I love hiding Easter eggs and having the kids come around all excited hunting around the backyard for them. Easter is a secular holiday for me. Much like Xmas. All of the fun, none of the superstition.

#7 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:21

Boys and girls at an Alabama elementary school will still get to hunt for eggs – but they can’t call them ‘Easter Eggs’ have the principal banished the word for the sake of religious diversity.

So... you are encouraging religious diversity... by not allowing a specific religion? :huh:

#8 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,542 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:42

Oh FFS!
<---- Born a Sikh, raised C of E, Married a Catholic!
Some people need to get over themselves IT'S EASTER!
(if you want to be historically accurate or pedantic about it.....)

Attached Images

• post-354816-0-28423800-1364354867.jpg

#9 Torolol

Torolol

• 2,968 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:52

they should called based on its roots: "Ishtar Egg"

#10 astropheed

astropheed

astropheed

• 1,788 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:05

Seems perfectly reasonable to me. She is allowing them to still find Eggs but she is trying to limit the religious connotations. I actually think this is a fairly sound idea. Whether Easter was originally a fertility thing, it isn't anymore. I mean if you really think about it, it's pretty sickening that we 'celebrate' Hallowe'en...

#11 excalpius

excalpius

Neowinian Senior

• 4,631 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:22

Good. It's high time the separation of church and state be enforced unilaterally.

The religious indoctrination of children into ignorant superstitious nonsense (of ANY kind) is unconscionable in the modern age.

If, once they've grown to adulthood, the more gullible and cowardly want to seek comfort in such cults, so be it.

But children trust adults not to lie to them and any parent (well-meaning though they may be) who tells their child that any god is real is flat out lying to their own child.

Parents do it to make themselves feel better about the lies they were told by their parents. It's a selfish lie perpetuated ad nauseum.

It's time for the human race to grow up.

#12 MDboyz

MDboyz

Neowinian

• 1,288 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:29

This is freaking stupid. What's next? They will rename X-mas too?
I'm not even Christian, but I still enjoy these holidays. Those people who are doing are actually religious people themselves.

#13 astropheed

astropheed

astropheed

• 1,788 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:29

Good. It's high time the separation of church and state be enforced unilaterally.

The religious indoctrination of children into ignorant superstitious nonsense (of ANY kind) is unconscionable in the modern age.

If, once they've grown to adulthood, the more gullible and cowardly want to seek comfort in such cults, so be it.

But children trust adults not to lie to them and any parent (well-meaning though they may be) who tells their child that any god is real is flat out lying to their own child.

Parents do it to make themselves feel better about the lies they were told by their parents. It's a selfish lie perpetuated ad nauseum.

It's time for the human race to grow up.

Using academic words in succession doesn't give you any more merit in your opinion than anyone else who may or may not believe in a 'God'. Forcing your opinion onto others so confidently though does prove the irony in your stance; as in there being no room for such ignorance in the evolution of the Human Race. Grow up.

#14 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,922 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 15:58

Hope the kids can put up the Easter tree ... :p

#15 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• 2,598 posts
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Enterprise & Server 2012R2/08R2 Datacenter
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 27 March 2013 - 16:02

So... you are encouraging religious diversity... by not endorsing a specific religion? :huh:

Fixed that for you, Sometimes those biblical glasses can get a bit blurry and cause christian persecution syndrome.

Your options are either to allow celebration and with it the celebration of the willingness to slaughter children to satisfy gods fetish for babies blood AKA Eid al-Fitr or get rid of the baby jesus from it.

Take your pick