Photo

'Easter' banned by elementary school principal

alabama religious diversity allowed eggs tolorance

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
77 replies to this topic

#16 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,530 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 17:06

One thing I like about Religeous Diversity; (and so do my children)
EXTRA HOLIDAYS (or celebrations... easter, diwali, etc...)

#17 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• 2,498 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 17:22

You know, I'm not religious, but I'm still going to give my kids Christmas, Easter, etc. Holidays in 2013 are now more "pop culture" than religious.

Edit: Wow! Only a 100 more post till I have 2,000 post!

#18 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 21:01

Fixed that for you, Sometimes those biblical glasses can get a bit blurry and cause christian persecution syndrome.

Your options are either to allow celebration and with it the celebration of the willingness to slaughter children to satisfy gods fetish for babies blood AKA Eid al-Fitr or get rid of the baby jesus from it.

Take your pick

Actually, you only made it worse. This has nothing to do with CPS. Basically what you are saying now is that Christmas, Easter, Valentines Day, etc... all of which are holidays on a national level regardless of if you are religious or not, should be cancelled in schools. You are okay with that because they have some christian roots. The man claims that he wants to encourage religious diversity and he is doing it by banning specific holidays because it has ties to a religion he doesn't like. Lets follow the path you are claiming though. So we already got Christmas, Easter, and Valentines day banned. Hell the first two aren't even christian holidays but lets just ignore the facts so you can have your argument. Lets also ban July 4 and Thanksgiving. Those are holidays that have ties to nationalism which in large amounts are bad as we saw in WW2. Also, ban Halloween because of its ties back to pagan holidays. Sounds ridiculous to me but that's what you are arguing for. Let's just ban all holidays because they all have ties, regardless of how small, to one religion or another. Don't want to endorse any and offend people right?

The option that exists in the real world, not your delusional world where everything christian is bad and should be banned is leave holidays alone. Easter isn't even a christian holiday so the guys whole premise is misguided. You sound like the government who will label anything terrorism just to argue their side. It's christian so ban it! It is a sad world were people are so filled with hate like you that you want to take an easter egg hunt away from kids because "CHRISTIANS!" I can't believe that you actually think banning all holidays is a good idea. And no you didn't say it directly but that is your argument. Endorsing any holiday means endorsing a religion which you are against.

#19 metallithrax

metallithrax

I saw you earlier, with the hairy stick....

• 8,535 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia U (android 4.0.4)

Posted 27 March 2013 - 21:05

The way I see it, there are two ways:

1. Celebrate ALL religious events

2. Celebrate NO religious events

No picking and choosing which ones to do, it's either all or none.

#20 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 21:09

The way I see it, there are two ways:

1. Celebrate ALL religious events

2. Celebrate NO religious events

No picking and choosing which ones to do, it's either all or none.

Agreed. The problem is that holidays like christmas and easter are only religious for the religious. For everyone else, its just another holiday but because someone people don't want others celebrating whatever they believe, they have to ruin it for everyone else.

#21 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,936 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 21:23

I don't have kids, but as long as they weren't being indoctrinated I wouldn't give a toss what they celebrated. It's possible to celebrate religious holidays for non religious reasons. As an Atheist I see Christmas as a time to celebrate the spirit of love, togetherness, giving, and family.

#22 Brian Miller

Brian Miller

Neowinian Senior

• 2,984 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 21:24

Posted Image

#23 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,788 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 21:26

we never had egg hunts at school... and that was a good bit ago....

but seriously, people need to learn the history of holidays...

Christmas trees, lights and stuff are not religious... it is a pegan celebration of light during the darkest time of the year

"Easter Eggs" came from the whole spring rebirth of nature idea.... not jesus

#24 68k

Neowinian Senior

• 1,906 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 21:27

I'm happy to confess I'm a CHRISTIAN, and know the true meaning of EASTER.

#25 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,349 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 27 March 2013 - 21:30

Holidays should be celebrated in a secular manner. That means that Christmas and Easter are fine but there shouldn't be any references to Jesus or Christianity outside of religious studies / social studies / history; the same applies to other celebrations like Chinese New Year.

I think banning the word 'Easter' is taking things too far.

#26 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• 2,559 posts
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Enterprise & Server 2012R2/08R2 Datacenter
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 27 March 2013 - 21:34

Actually, you only made it worse. This has nothing to do with CPS. Basically what you are saying now is that Christmas, Easter, Valentines Day, etc... all of which are holidays on a national level regardless of if you are religious or not, should be cancelled in schools.

No you can have a egg hunt or a holiday tree and present giving etc just not the religious endorsement. Simple.

You are okay with that because they have some christian roots.

Yep same way I would be about an Islamic holiday.

The man claims that he wants to encourage religious diversity and he is doing it by banning specific holidays because it has ties to a religion he doesn't like..

Incorrect you can have an egg hunt and give presents just keep the jesus part out of it if you want it in schools.

lets follow the path you are claiming though. So we already got Christmas, Easter, and Valentines day banned.

Nope we don't we just have the religious parts not endorsed by the school.

Lets also ban July 4 and Thanksgiving. Those are holidays that have ties to nationalism which in large amounts are bad as we saw in WW2.

Red herring there is no establishment clause for nationalism.

Also, ban Halloween because of its ties back to pagan holidays..

Nope that's fine for the same reason the above are fine, No endorsement there.

Let's just ban all holidays because they all have ties, regardless of how small, to one religion or another. Don't want to endorse any and offend people right?..

Yeah this is christian persecution syndrome, You can have any religious holiday you want in the privacy of your own home but the issue here is the government endorsement of religion.

The option that exists in the real world, not your delusional world where everything christian is bad and should be banned is leave holidays alone..

No you've got that the wrong way round its your argument that's not consistent mine works fine for any religion and any religious holiday. Nothing special about judaism+

Easter isn't even a christian holiday so the guys whole premise is misguided...

Originally just like christmas its been plomped on top of the existing holiday.

You sound like the government who will label anything terrorism just to argue their side. It's christian so ban it!...

Its either this or celebrate every religious holiday in schools at which point you would be complaining about that too.

It is a sad world were people are so filled with hate like you that you want to take an easter egg hunt away from kids because "CHRISTIANS!"!...

Actually this brings more people in to the egg hunt from all religions, Why exclude them ? :)

#27 Buttus

Buttus

Neowinian Senior

• 3,296 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 21:39

it's the same as december 25th being a sun worship day, converted to a holiday to get more people to accept their form of christianity....

#28 Mark

Mark

(: ollǝɥ

• 3,726 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 21:40

Easter was orginally a fertility holiday, hence the eggs

They knew that babies came from sperm and eggs thousands of years ago?....

#29 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,936 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 21:47

I'm happy to confess I'm a CHRISTIAN, and know the true meaning of EASTER.

http://rcg.org/books/ttooe.html

Really?

#30 Deleted Bye

Deleted Bye

Neowinian Senior

• 3,781 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 21:57

i too would be for removing any bit of religion from any school/government involvement. Religions can't be forced on to people that don't want them. It is wrong.