california internet untapped revenue tax e-commerce internet tax freedom act

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,025 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 16:41

A California official is bringing new life to the argument that the Internet -- including emails -- is an untapped revenue resource that should be taxed to help local economies.

Berkeley City Councilman Gordon Wozniak brought up taxing emails during a recent council meeting. He suggested the money collected, which would be part of a wider-reaching Internet tax, could be used in Berkeley's case to save the local post office.

"There should be something like a bit tax," he said during the March 5 meeting. "I mean, a bit tax could be a cent per gigabit and they would make, probably, billions of dollars a year."

Plus, he said, there should be a "very tiny tax on email."

This idea goes beyond already-controversial proposals to tax e-commerce -- like buying used books on Amazon. This would be a tax on data.

Wozniak said the response to the idea has been varied.

"Most people don't like the idea of taxing the Internet," he acknowledged. "There are a number of people who say it's a good idea, but some are saying it's impractical and there's no way to do it."

Amid concerns that the government could one day turn to the Internet for a new-age funding stream, Congress in 1998 passed a law called the Internet Tax Freedom Act, which bans Internet taxation.

That law is set to expire next November.

more

#2 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 19,081 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 16:45

Yea, make the citizens pay because the Government is slow to adapt, or cannot adapt, to the changing/new technology out there.

#3 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,025 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 17:00

I will stop sending e-mails.

Eat that, California.

#4 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,386 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 27 March 2013 - 17:05

There was an excellent article on torrentfreak I can't find, basically, before freezers/fridges, you had to import ice 'fresh', then when the freezer came along, it put all those people out of a job, and no-one cared.
The same applies to large music-based distributers and this.

#5 HSoft

HSoft

Neowinian Senior

• 3,930 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 17:19

California and a democrat talking about more taxes. Never :rofl:

#6 PsYcHoKiLLa

PsYcHoKiLLa

Views expressed are not necessarily those of the management

• 1,309 posts
  • Phone: LG Nexus 4

Posted 27 March 2013 - 17:19

We already pay for the internet, we pay our ISP who give us access to it, so bugger off!

No doubt someone in the US will campaign against this on the argument that it infringes their "free speech"....get it? "Free Speech".....ah never mind!

#7 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,986 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 17:20

internet taxes get dumb fast... last time they pushed for a tax on email one of the versions of the bill said to "tax packets traveling over the internet"... tax packets? seriously? they wanted about 1 cent per packet... I think they thought a packet was what an email envelope was or something...... because 99% of the USA would be broke just going online.... heck and if you taxed traffic, are you going to tax ARP packets and all the other background noise that comes to your modem / gateway? because its of course internet traffic... and if someone DDoS'es you, now you have to pay for what they did to you?..... love it......

heck places like TWC and Comcast include "background traffic" that you can't stop in your monthly usage..... I once left a DOCSIS3 modem idle on a Comcast line for a month jus to see how much background traffic it got...... 3.2GB of DHCP and ARP traffic along with ping floods, attempted dos attacks... etc.... and this was a modem that had nothing plugged into its WAN port, that is what Comcast reported on their website as it's monthly usage

#8 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,019 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 17:28

Correction to the title.

Tax & Send: Will E-mails Cost YouAmericans?

#9 jwjw1

jwjw1

Neowinian

• 4,435 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 17:33

.....spam just got more expensive :laugh:

#10 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• 2,500 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 17:40

How would they be able to tax us accurately?

#11 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,986 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 21:28

How would they be able to tax us accurately?

oh read what I wrote above... one of the old bills had that figured out by taxing "packets"... since ISP's can log packet statistics for your account.... makes sense right?.... *rolls eyes* dumb politicians

#12 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

• 6,001 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 21:31

Haha... good luck with that :D

#13 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• 2,500 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:53

oh read what I wrote above... one of the old bills had that figured out by taxing "packets"... since ISP's can log packet statistics for your account.... makes sense right?.... *rolls eyes* dumb politicians

Oh thanks! (Y) And yes--Politics in general are stupid, IMO.

#14 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:35

Like I said many times, it's only a matter of time before some smart government employee realizes we are all breathing and that they could tax us for the air we breath.

#15 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

• 4,296 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:39

California is the puss filled boil on the backside of society