Waffle House waitress rescues customer at counter

Renee Vance, a 27-year Waffle House server in Marietta, Georgia was working when a customer noticed a 76-year-old man slumped at the counter.

"Someone yelled, ?He's having a stroke -- call 911,?" Vance recalled to WAGA Fox 5 News. But Vance, a nursing student and diabetic, immediately recognized that the man was going into diabetic shock.

She used her glucose meter to check the customer?s blood sugar. It read 49, which is very low and can lead to organ failure. The hero said, "I knew he was going to go into diabetic shock if I didn't get some sugar in him."

So with help getting the customer she knew as ?Leo,? on the ground, Vance held his head and began pouring orange juice, making him drink. By the time paramedics arrived, Leo was coming back around.

Vance said, "When they took him out he was looking up at me and saying thank you." Leo?s family members later stopped by the restaurant and informed the staff that he was okay and recovering at home.

The incident helped Vance confirm her nursing career goal and she has shifted her hours at Waffle House to pursue that dream.

source & video

Next time I get sick I want this young lady as my nurse. She's going to be a good one.

She certainly has the potential.

Just as a reference to non-diabetics; the defined low normal is 70. Most people get symptomatic around 60, and below 50 brain function takes a big hit.