Microsoft's claim of outselling iPhone isn't as impressive as it so

lol less than 300k in all those 7 countries in 3 months and Microsoft claims its outselling. this is the original story. http://wmpoweruser.c...ackberry-in-26/

edit: missed apiece so thats 300k still too low.

When Microsoft?s Frank X Shaw announced on Tuesday that more Windows Phone handsets than iPhones were shipping in seven markets, the question on the minds of market watchers was, "OK, which seven?" The answer, courtesy of The New York Times Bits Blog, is Argentina, India, Poland, Russia, South Africa, and Ukraine ? along with a smaller group of countries (including Croatia) that falls under the banner of "rest of central and eastern Europe." The numbers come from market research firm IDC, a representative of which further deflated Shaw?s claims by pointing out that three of the markets (Ukraine, South Africa, and "rest of") amounted to less than 100,000 units apiece in the fourth quarter of 2012.

The list isn?t exactly surprising. Windows Phone has struggled to gain a foothold in North America, where Nokia only shipped 700,000 units in Q4 despite a massive marketing push from Nokia and AT&T. In contrast, the IDC representative pointed out that Windows Phone has succeeded in countries that Nokia traditionally does well in, many of which have low demand for the iPhone because of its higher cost and the lack of carrier subsidies.

http://www.theverge....ne-sales-claims

Ummm, they're still outselling the most popular smartphone in the world in those countries. The thing is that sales are low in those countries because smart phones in generall sell very little there. though it is a growing or rather emerging market. which means when MS gains an early foothold on the early adopters, they will most likely keep their spot as as number 2 or even go as high as number 1.

lol less than 100k in all those 7 countries in 3 months and Microsoft claims its outselling.

But dude, are you illiterate? Did you not even read the article you posted?

"three of the markets (Ukraine, South Africa, and "rest of") amounted to less than 100,000 apiece"

Three markets. Apiece. Not 7 countries. And that doesn't include Argentina, India, Poland, or Russia!

lol less than 100k in all those 7 countries in 3 months

Learn to ****ing read.

that three of the markets (Ukraine, South Africa, and "rest of") amounted to less than 100,000 units apiece in the fourth quarter of 2012.

Are the parts that you blatantly ignored.

And that doesn't change the fact that they are outselling the iPhone. And outselling the iPhone in India, one of the fastest growing markets, is a huge huge deal. Even if the volume isn't there yet, it will be.

• Like 3

Cleaned

lol less than 100k in all those 7 countries in 3 months and Microsoft claims its outselling. this is the original story. http://wmpoweruser.c...ackberry-in-26/

If you're going to try to bash Microsoft, at least do it with facts. They sold less than 100K per country, not less than 100K in total.

I know Microsoft is desperate but... wow. It would have been better to not mention it at all.

Why would it have been better to withhold such information? The numbers may be low compared to the iPhone in other markets but that doesn't mean Microsoft's claim is false.

Just a trash piece from The Verge, as usual.

So The Verge reporting the facts is a trash piece? You serious or just do not like the stats? I can understand it this was an editorial from one of the writers on The Verge, but even their editorials tend to have little bias in them if any at all.

It's more like the verge not understanding the ramifications of first/second place in small but emerging markets. But then, one wouldn't accuse the verge bloggers of knowing anything about journalism in the first place.

the verge is trash. just look at this article. they say its not impressive, when they only got numbers from IDC for 3 countries. And the 4 remaining countries are muh much bigger markets.

btw astalvfnw 300k is only for those 3 countries,not 7.

It's more like the verge not understanding the ramifications of first/second place in small but emerging markets. But then, one wouldn't accuse the verge bloggers of knowing anything about journalism in the first place.

+1 I'm not an MS fanboy or Apple for that matter but to me the only thing Verge seems to like and cover is Google.

+1 I'm not an MS fanboy or Apple for that matter but to me the only thing Verge seems to like and cover is Google.

do you see the verge making articles that say android outsells iphone because there are $50 android phones,and the cheapest iphone is much much more? no. it seems positive Microsoft news kills them.

Microsoft has a seriously strong shot in emerging markets with the ability of Windows Phone to run really well on low end hardware. It also helps that Nokia has a seriously strong brand in these markets. The key thing to see, and that HawkMan is getting at, is how well this advantage may play out for MS. If they obtain a stronghold before Apple and/or Google can make a serious push they might have a fighting chance in this mobile war.

Android 4.x doesn't play as well on crappy hardware, from what I understand. Currently, Apple has no serious interest in the emerging markets either. I'm not convinced they may ever care about the excessively (as it will be hard to keep their unified platform and sell their devices for next to nothing compared to what they do now).

This is good as without the emerging market I'd be concerned about the complete death of Windows Phone. If the developed markets MS needs Blackberry to fail hard with the Z10 and Q10 otherwise they might get squeezed out entirely.

Really? Only Google huh? wow, all those articles about Windows Blue, Blackberry, and Apple must be all Google related. ANY site will always report on what is hot. Google is a hot topic now so it would make sense they would report on them more. However, they do do more things. And a lot of what they report is referencing sources (click on the source link and its the same info). Its their editorials from their writers than can be crap.

• Like 2

Russia and India are huge and doing well in those is a big boost, but those aside WP share is on the rise in many other western markets. It's only slow market is the US but if you're pulling in big numbers from the rest of the world you can afford to lag in the US.

Russia and India are huge and doing well in those is a big boost, but those aside WP share is on the rise in many other western markets. It's only slow market is the US but if you're pulling in big numbers from the rest of the world you can afford to lag in the US.

Who cares what the US market is doing? While I was going trough touch-screen symbians like bread they were still mostly using flip-phones, that's already saying something.

Also Verge..lol, what a joke that place is, a disgrace to online outlets.

Who cares what the US market is doing? While I was going trough touch-screen symbians like bread they were still mostly using flip-phones, that's already saying something.

Also Verge..lol, what a joke that place is, a disgrace to online outlets.

Well I don't live in the US anymore so I don't care that much but it's good from a PR standpoint.