google

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 16,676 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 15:14

Google just announced the Open Patent Non-Assertion (OPN) Pledge, a new initiative whereby the company has promised not to sue developers, distributors, and users of open source software utilizing Mountain View's patents "unless first attacked." In introducing the good faith effort, Google is reiterating its passion and support for open platforms. "Open-source software has been at the root of many innovations in cloud computing, the mobile web, and the Internet generally," writes Duane Valz, Google's senior patent counsel. "We remain committed to an open Internet — one that protects real innovation and continues to deliver great products and services."

The company isn't throwing its entire patent portfolio up for grabs, however. Quite the opposite: it's starting small, contributing a mere ten patents to the pledge. Google claims these patents are already in wide use and that it will eventually expand the set of Google-owned patents that fall under the pledge.

But Google wants other patent holders to take part as well. "We hope the OPN Pledge will serve as a model for the industry," says Valz, citing a number of benefits that come along with adopting the initiative. Among those are transparency, breadth, and durability — Google says the pledge will remain in effect for the life of each patent even if ownership should be transferred away from the company. The agreement will come undone "only if a party brings a patent suit against Google products or services, or is directly profiting from such litigation," according to Valz. Google continues to voice its support for patent reform and a cutback in "excessive" litigation that it has repeatedly insisted hampers innovation today.

http://www.theverge....unless-attacked

As always, keep topic clean please....TY

#2 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• 10,311 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 28 March 2013 - 17:31

We remain committed to an open Internet..

oh really? start fixing your broken websites first and then preach to others. ;)

The company isn't throwing its entire patent portfolio up for grabs, however. Quite the opposite: it's starting small, contributing a mere ten patents to the pledge. Google claims these patents are already in wide use and that it will eventually expand the set of Google-owned patents that fall under the pledge.

:rofl:

#3 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• 17,365 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 28 March 2013 - 17:36

It's basically an easy way to obtain concepts from others. Saves Google from developing new features on their own.

#4 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• 2,467 posts
  • Phone: Motorola Moto G

Posted 28 March 2013 - 17:39

* But we will spy on you.

#5 OP +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 16,676 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 18:18

oh really? start fixing your broken websites first and then preach to others. ;)

What other problem does Google have with broken websites and how does that relate to this article?

It's basically an easy way to obtain concepts from others. Saves Google from developing new features on their own.

Maybe...but sounds like Google will still do this regardless if others do as well.

They dont now, so I dont see why they would start unless they receive a request from the FED.

#6 ShareShiz

ShareShiz

Neowinian

• 969 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 18:26

wait. WHAT ??

OT: That's very nice on Google's part.

#7 Richteralan

Richteralan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,320 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4 E960

Posted 28 March 2013 - 18:29

And your wireless carrier NEVER spy on you™

#8 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• 10,311 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 28 March 2013 - 18:37

What other problem does Google have with broken websites and how does that relate to this article?

Google basically just writes their websites to work in Chrome and doesn't care how they work in non-Chrome/non-Webkit browsers. I have quoted the relevant part of the article.

#9 OP +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 16,676 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 18:45

Google basically just writes their websites to work in Chrome and doesn't care how they work in non-Chrome/non-Webkit browsers. I have quoted the relevant part of the article.

So there is nothing to fix really. Everything is working the way Google wants it to.

#10 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• 14,842 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 19:03

Easy to be in a position of peace when you have nothing good worth fighting for.

/ducks-covers-runs

#11 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,637 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 19:06

So many ignorant trolls. Stop drinking the Microsoft kool-aid and get in the real world.

#12 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• 14,842 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 19:08

So many ignorant trolls. Stop drinking the Microsoft kool-aid and get in the real world.

I recent that! I drink Apple kool-aid. Shieesh.

Edit: Actually my fav. is cherry.

#13 OP +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 16,676 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 19:49

Regardless if the patents Google holds are useless, it is great that they are doing this.

#14 Athernar

Athernar

?

• 2,865 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 20:16

The only thing Google are committed to is their dreams of WebKit-based Embrace Extend and Extinguish.

This is the same old Google tactic of suckering in all the morons into thinking Google are a "good" corporation, when really they're the Microsoft of the 90s in disguise. (Or just Microsoft in general, if they hadn't made themselves irrelevant with Windows 8)

#15 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 33,588 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 20:26

Well that's basically nonsense!

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!