Motherboard or RAM Problem

Recently, my desktop computer has been giving quite a problem.... :(

Sometimes when I was using the desktop computer, the screen suddenly blank out. The HDD Led just light up without blinking.... I have to off the switch then boot up the PC again.

Also sometimes when I want to boot up the computer, it just show a blank screen with the HDD Led on again. No bios...Nothing is shown....

I tried unplugging and plug in the ram and it helps occasionally...

I checked the S.M.A.R.T for my hdd. No warning so shouldn't be HDD problem I guess....

Sometimes when I was using the desktop computer, the screen suddenly blank out. The HDD Led just light up without blinking.... I have to off the switch then boot up the PC again.

Also sometimes when I want to boot up the computer, it just show a blank screen with the HDD Led on again. No bios...Nothing is shown....

I checked the S.M.A.R.T for my hdd. No warning so shouldn't be HDD problem I guess....

Sounds like a graphics card issue to me. Are your drivers up to date? What card do you have? Try a different card? Is it seated correctly?

I too had this issue not too long ago, except it was at first boot and I got video only when I rebooted. I replaced the cheap power supply that came with my case when it blew and the issue went away. Are you by chance using an adapter?

I'd agree that's it's a memory problem. If you have more than 1 stick, try booting with only 1 stick seated, and see if it works normally. If not, rotate the sticks and try again.

Or you could just run Memtest86 and it will let you know if any of the RAM is bad.

Just because the S.M.A.R.T data on the hard drive doesn't indicate a problem doesn't mean there isn't one.

Could be memory. Run a memory checker like MEM386 to test your memory. Could be the PSU As well. I have fixed many PSU issues that match the description in the OP.

I'd agree that's it's a memory problem. If you have more than 1 stick, try booting with only 1 stick seated, and see if it works normally. If not, rotate the sticks and try again.

Or you could just run Memtest86 and it will let you know if any of the RAM is bad.

Memtest86 says no errors :/

PSU can be since I hasn't change it for a long time.

Just an additional information, when my computer blank out, the restart button does not works. But holding down the power button for a few seconds works, my computer did switched off. Not sure if this info is important or not...

Just because the S.M.A.R.T data on the hard drive doesn't indicate a problem doesn't mean there isn't one.

Possible but it is pretty new. Like a year old. Hopefully it won't be or shouldn't be that problem.

Sounds like a graphics card issue to me. Are your drivers up to date? What card do you have? Try a different card? Is it seated correctly?

I too had this issue not too long ago, except it was at first boot and I got video only when I rebooted. I replaced the cheap power supply that came with my case when it blew and the issue went away. Are you by chance using an adapter?

I was using an Nvidia graphic card, but I had some issues like a few months ago, so I took it out and use the on board graphic instead.

Just an additional information, when my computer blank out, the restart button does not works. But holding down the power button for a few seconds works, my computer did switched off. Not sure if this info is important or not...

Probably the PSU and that would be the easiest thing next to check. Just pickup a new one, try it out. Can always return if it thats not the prob.

• Like 1