Ranking of the 4 Modern Windows OSs

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#31 vetSimon

Simon

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:43

7 - Clean, polished, usable, simple.
8 - Very promising, but it's not there yet - app developers haven't figured out how Metro should work yet, and I'd rather spend all my time in Metro or all my time on the desktop, rather than switching back and forth. Give it a year or two and it'll easily be at the top.
XP - It's old, it's not going to be supported forever, the UI feels slow and boring - but it's a stable OS, which is why it's lasted this long.
Vista - Honestly, a good beta for Windows 7. Not as bad as everyone said, but not good enough to play with the big boys.

(That being said, I spend 75% of my time on Mountain Lion)

#32 abecedarian paradoxious

abecedarian paradoxious

cell tech

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:54

I refuse to answer the question.

I will say, though, that:
XP was an evolution of the 9x Windows line, and incorporated the NT code base into consumer systems. It was 'revolutionary', at the time, but is now old.
Vista pushed the envelope a bit more. In my experience, it performed most tasks I required just as quickly as XP, and was more stable. "GASP". My system here, not yours.
7 picked up some speed, but didn't like my Vista laptops much. :(
8 picked up more speed and likes the laptops Windows 7 didn't like.

Flexible minds will adapt, stubborn people won't.

That is all.

#33 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:01

• 8 - Great OS that builds on 7's brilliant backbone with speed and efficiency getting a shot in the arm.
  • 7 - Solid architecture, fast, feature rich.
  • Vista - Gave an old dog new legs
  • XP - As much as i loved it at the time, it really doesn't belong on a list of 'Modern' OS's and far to many problems when released that it took TWO service packs to fix.

#34 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:29

XP isn't modern. It's old and obsolete. People shouldn't be using it.

#35 +Matthew S.

Matthew S.

Your worst nightmare

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:31

XP is not modern by any sense of the word (hell it still defaults to a full admin account...)

Anyways..
My choice is:
1. Windows 7 - Stable, Fast and modern.
2. Windows 8 - Stable, Fast, modern and user friendly I don't care what any "power users" say, when a 59 year old man who only uses a computer to do 3 things (eg. work, email and a casual game) can figure out Windows 8 in meer seconds (he actually found some things I didn't at first :s) theres probably an issue in this "power user" elitest group.
3. Windows Vista - Vast improvement over XP (It was actually more stable on a system from 2003 that came with XP.).
4. Windows XP - Really was a step back IMO after toying with Linux for so long. Never made real use of NTFS's ACL properties, always defaulted to a full privileged administrator.

#36 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 16

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:42

• Windows XP - Ol' faithful.
  • Windows 7 - I'm still getting to grips with the changes, but overall I think I'm impressed.
  • Windows Vista - I've supported it, but never used it as a main OS.
  • Windows 8 - Nope. Just that. Nope. Not my thing, I don't want a tablet OS on my laptop.

#37 slumdogtrillionaire

slumdogtrillionaire

Neowinian

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:43

1. xp sp3
2. xp sp2
3. xp sp1
4. 7 sp2 hopefully

#38 +Anarkii

Anarkii

Member N° 1,455

• Phone: iPhone 6+, iOS 8.1

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:45

Windows 7 (The best OS Microsoft ever made. Period.)
Windows XP (Used this for years, right up to Windows 7 release)
Windows Vista (Used it for a few months, but ultimately when it was released it didn't work as expected)
Windows 8 (Just a mess of a OS, tried it, hated it, won't go back).

* The opinions arnt trolling, but my personal views.

#39 ingramator

ingramator

Hacker

• Phone: Lumia 920, iPhone 5, GS3

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:49

Windows 8 64 bit - Windows 7 + so much more, it will begin the mobile revolution and be tidied up with Blue (which I'm running right now :D )
Windows 7 64 bit - The best PC OS at the time- rock solid but fundamentally the same as Vista
Windows XP 64 Bit- only because it began the 64 bit revolution and was a trusty OS that got stuff done- terrible driver support though and it was pretty aweful until SP2-3
Windows Vista - No problems with it but the others are just "better"- loved the new DirectX and GPU features

#40 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:56

Windows XP 64 Bit- only because it began the 64 bit revolution and was a trusty OS that got stuff done- terrible driver support though and it was pretty aweful until SP2-3

I think I missed that part, how was the driver support terrible? I know the in-house "find a driver automatically" was/is rubbish, but all the companies supported the OS, it just made more sense at the end of the day to go straight to the website.

#41 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:58

• Windows 7
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows Vista

#42 ingramator

ingramator

Hacker

• Phone: Lumia 920, iPhone 5, GS3

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:05

I think I missed that part, how was the driver support terrible? I know the in-house "find a driver automatically" was/is rubbish, but all the companies supported the OS, it just made more sense at the end of the day to go straight to the website.

Yeah I was referring more or less to 64 Bit driver support but even so, 32 bit support was pretty horrendous at launch, it took a good 2 years for OEMs to get on board and with SP3 it was pretty rock solid. Still, we often forget that XP had an awful launch and poor reception and it wasn't till it became widely adopted with the service packs that it took off!

#43 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:32

Yeah I was referring more or less to 64 Bit driver support but even so, 32 bit support was pretty horrendous at launch, it took a good 2 years for OEMs to get on board and with SP3 it was pretty rock solid. Still, we often forget that XP had an awful launch and poor reception and it wasn't till it became widely adopted with the service packs that it took off!

Oh right! I've generally supported and used 32-bit, so my knowledge of 64-bit support is...lacking. On top of which, I was a home user when XP first came out, so I got on with it. It was still miles better than Windows 98, so I probably forgave its misgivings at the time...

#44 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:38

Oh right! I've generally supported and used 32-bit, so my knowledge of 64-bit support is...lacking. On top of which, I was a home user when XP first came out, so I got on with it. It was still miles better than Windows 98, so I probably forgave its misgivings at the time...

Yup 64 bit driver support was horrendous!

#45 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:47

1) Win 7 / 8. They're tied because if you don't throw a hissy fit over the metro UI it's a more efficient OS in terms of hardware utilisation.
2) XP. Bad memory management, horrible x64 support, although it was a revolution when it was released.
3) Vista. It was a massive upgrade from XP in terms of memory management and performance. Sadly, MS allowed manufacturers to produce Vista ready machines with horrendous specs, which lead to the vast majority of complaints and crippled the OS. There was also the issue with hardware manufacturers being painfully slow in releasing suitable drivers.