OS X 10.9

Has it been officially changed to a yearly release now?

Lion & Mountain Lion were released a year apart, so, from what I've heard from Apple pundits, it is commonly believed that they're on a yearly release cycle just like iOS, but that's only going based on two releases though.

As far as I can remember either Craig Federighi for Tim Cook said so with the release of 10.8. More frequent OS updates with less but more stable changes. We will have to wait and see...

Yeah, on Daring Fireball the site owner John Gruber had a one on one (part of a larger media event) where OS X was announced to have moved to a yearly release. The big question really is whether their eventual aim is to move to a yearly free upgrade much like iOS devices.

Now that I'm a full OS X convert (gotten rid of all my Windows systems), I have to ask this: I've seen a lot of people complain about the shortcomings of HFS/HFS+, and years ago I remember seeing talk of ZFS becoming a successor. Obviously that didn't, or hasn't happened yet, so what do you all think will happen with the filesystem? Anything major in 10.9 (obviously based purely on speculation), or will we have to continue to wait?

Now that I'm a full OS X convert (gotten rid of all my Windows systems), I have to ask this: I've seen a lot of people complain about the shortcomings of HFS/HFS+, and years ago I remember seeing talk of ZFS becoming a successor. Obviously that didn't, or hasn't happened yet, so what do you all think will happen with the filesystem? Anything major in 10.9 (obviously based purely on speculation), or will we have to continue to wait?

When it comes to HFS+ they're doing what Microsoft is doing with NTFS/ReFS - they're keeping the same 'front end' and working on the backend code so that the under pinnings are updated and improved but to the applications sitting on top everything is great. As for ZFS - believe me you don't want it even if there were the licensing issues that ended up stopping the project. I used to use Solaris with ZFS and unless you have gigabytes of memory the whole thing is a memory hog. The design of ZFS is based on running a server with huge amounts of memory thus it is totally impractical from an end user workstation perspective hence I'd sooner Apple keep on the path that they're on rather than attempting to turn ZFS into something that it isn't - a file system for desktops, laptops and workstations.

I hope it'll do something file-system wise. Having 3 OS's here (windows, mac and linux) is a right pain in the arse to get files from one to the other. The only truely universal FS supported on all 3 is FAT32 and it's limited to 4GB files, NTFS is read only on mac, HFS+ is read only on bootcamp windows or unreadable on normal windows and none of the linux FS's are supported on windows or mac.

I hope it'll do something file-system wise. Having 3 OS's here (windows, mac and linux) is a right pain in the arse to get files from one to the other. The only truely universal FS supported on all 3 is FAT32 and it's limited to 4GB files, NTFS is read only on mac, HFS+ is read only on bootcamp windows or unreadable on normal windows and none of the linux FS's are supported on windows or mac.

There is exFAT but I'm unsure as to how well it is supported on Linux though but I've heard there is progress and there are third parties who sell exFAT support if you need it. Mac OS X and Windows both support exFAT which is basically FAT 64bit with a whole heap of improvements.

Not sure what the support is like on Linux, but I use ExFAT for all the drives I have to read/write using OSX and Windows.

I have two annoyances with OS X Mountain Lion: the skeuomorphic design of Contacts and Calendar + annoying Finder bug where the sidebar sometimes collapses its width when opening /Applications.

At this point Apple pretty much perfected OS X for me and I honestly have no idea what really needs to change. Above anything else I really want some real updates to iLife and iWork. I can't get over the fact this hasn't happened yet.

• Like 2

Paragon NTFS for Mac is pretty great for this :)

or Paragon HFS for Windows.

exFAT works for me and doesn't require any (potentially unstable) third-party plugins.

Would like 10.9 to bring back the Spotlight window that Tiger had and was removed by the time Leopard was released.

Would like 10.9 to bring back the Spotlight window that Tiger had and was removed by the time Leopard was released.

They should make that a part of Launchpad.

Honestly a lot of the bugs you all mention aside from UI changes can be fixed with a system update to 10.8. OS X at this point is well matured and pretty much perfected. Anything else at this point is going to be very slight UI adjustments, finder could be that however I wonder though if they are starting to look past OS X into OS 11

I would like to see a complete revamp of Finder. I find file management a hassle compared to Explorer.

Maybe my file management is pretty basic but I'd love to know what is missing beyond the features that experts use (batch renaming etc.)?

Btw, I feel as though I'm the only one left on planet earth who likes to drag and drop files to copy them from one location to another - or is this just a force of habit given my background in using UI's that conform to the spartial way of doing things?

Maybe my file management is pretty basic but I'd love to know what is missing beyond the features that experts use (batch renaming etc.)?

Btw, I feel as though I'm the only one left on planet earth who likes to drag and drop files to copy them from one location to another - or is this just a force of habit given my background in using UI's that conform to the spartial way of doing things?

I find moving around in folders quite annoying. The sidebar, address bar and basic controls are much better in Explorer.

There's something painfully vague about dragging and dropping things, especially if you don't quite select everything you intended to move.

I'd like to see better screen management, like screen snapping. Expose is pretty good, but keyboard (or trackpad) shortcuts to push windows into specific areas would be great.