Notification Icon Lights Up For No Reason

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Mark

Mark

(: ollǝɥ

Posted 29 March 2013 - 16:11

Anyone else get this problem?

You'll be surfing Neowin as usual and all of a sudden the notification icon lights up.

You click it to see what it is and there's nothing new at all.

I've had this exact problem over a bunch of different browsers and clearing cache makes no difference.

As far as I can remember, it started happening back when there was a notifications button introduced to the front page of Neowin.

#2 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 29 March 2013 - 16:13

haven't noticed it here. seems to act normally for me

#3 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 12

Posted 29 March 2013 - 16:14

I've had times where the notification icon has remained lit, despite me having checked the notifications. It's not really a problem for me though, that thing lights up all the time, whether it be someone that has quoted me, someone "liking" something that I've said, or the numerous reports that we get. If there is nothing new I just close it again.

#4 Rohdekill

Rohdekill

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 29 March 2013 - 16:15

Happens all the time to me just by changing threads. Annoying as heck, I know.

#5 OP Mark

Mark

Posted 29 March 2013 - 16:17

I've had times where the notification icon has remained lit, despite me having checked the notifications. It's not really a problem for me though, that thing lights up all the time, whether it be someone that has quoted me, someone "liking" something that I've said, or the numerous reports that we get. If there is nothing new I just close it again.

I guess I might use it more than you because I generally have a lower level of activity, rendering it more useful to me.

There was a time before I even noticed that it was there, where I'd go into my own user profile and manually open all of the comments and threads I'd made recently to see if anything had happened :o

#6 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 12

Posted 29 March 2013 - 16:20

I guess I might use it more than you because I generally have a lower level of activity, rendering it more useful to me.

Technically we use it the same amount. When it lights up, we both click on it to see what has happened. ;)

I get your point though. I can see how it may be frustrating to think, "oh, someone responded to something I said" just to realise that nothing is new.

#7 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:04

As you started your question...
Anyone else get this problem?
I'll have to reply, sorry, no, never, but having said that, it doesn't mean it cannot or will not happen, I'll keep a look out to see if it does :)

#8 zman982

zman982

You can not harm me!

• Phone: Galaxy Note 2

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:18

This usually occurs for me when I switch between the main page and the forums. If I check the notification on one it's usually not updated on the other.

#9 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• Tech Issues Solved: 64

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:25

Doesn't happen to me on Chrome or Firefox. Best thing to do is check Settings > notifications and see if they are setup properly. Mine are set to inline notifications (icon) on threads I reply to and have new posts, or if someone quotes me.

#10 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 30 March 2013 - 15:06

This usually occurs for me when I switch between the main page and the forums. If I check the notification on one it's usually not updated on the other.

actually i think you're spot on with what's causing the bug
if you check your notifications on the main news page it won't update forum side so the icon will still be lit up when you go to the forums but everything will be read when you click on the notifications icon

but in reverse (aka going from forum to front news page) works just fine

#11 Stoffel

Stoffel

Being on the ocean is cooler then being in front of a Computer

Posted 30 March 2013 - 15:11

I have the same problem here on Win 8 and IE10
If I click on a notification on the front page it takes me to the forums, but there the icon is still lit

Another issue I have is that if I follow a topic, after a while it just stops giving me notifications for it. I have to unfollow and the follow it again
Happens mainly with threads about movies, which I like to keep following

#12 Ian William

Ian William

I work great with Windows Vista!

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 30 March 2013 - 20:25

Just a thought... Have you tried to delete your previous notifications?
I remember having a somewhat similar issue on another forum (the notification icon would light up for one that I already viewed).

#13 OP Mark

Mark

Posted 30 March 2013 - 20:30

Just a thought... Have you tried to delete your previous notifications?
I remember having a somewhat similar issue on another forum (the notification icon would light up for one that I already viewed).

Mine are totally up to date (as in old ones are marked as read)

Still, just happened to me again a moment ago and it wasn't when I was switching between the front page and the forum. It was two different forum threads.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!