Wayland Gets Forked

Proprietary paid software is generally not abandoned as long as the software serves a purpose or in other words, has a customer base.

FOSS projects thou, can and often get abandoned because the dev goes tired of the project or just don't care about it anymore, despite there being a huge interest.

Apples to oranges. The relevant point there is whether a paycheck is involved, not the project being proprietary or FOSS.

Proprietary software will be abandoned in exactly the same situations as FOSS as long as developers are not being paid (obvious difference being that FOSS code can be reused or the project picked up by a different group of people).

Whilst I don't use Linux at the moment as it's still not a completely viable gaming platform yet, what's happening with Windows at the moment tells me that FOSS certainly has some benefits. If something that exists doesn't fit my needs I could change it so that it does, which is something that cannot be done with Windows, it's essentially a case of "suck up the changes or get lost".

In reality a split approach is best. Try to focus creative energy on achieving a good result, whilst listening to the wish of your users.

BTW, back with the Wine issue: the top three Wine contributors are CodeWeavers' employees (the company selling Crossover, who is also contributing the code back upstream) so it's not like the fork hurt Wine in any way but rather quite the opposite.

The main Wayland devs are from Intel and such, so it's not like it's a community project, companies are funding the development for multiple reasons (Intel and Samsung want it for Tizen, etc.)