e-mail nonsense yahoo

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 26,174 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 15:16

Personally I wouldn't walk from yahoo mail but run. I'd move to gmail and turn on two-factor authentication.

#17 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• 8,351 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 15:32

So how do you know it's a Neowin member, and if so who? PM this sort of thing to a moderator please if you are being harassed by a member.

Reading the first post makes me think it's just some kind of spam email (which I also get and is usually filtered).

That IP address isn't associated with any registered member here either.

Yeah but don't forget that, if a member was here before with an old IP... and he/she might have moved or switched a provider and have a new IP that this user is no longer visiting Neowin anymore.. and he/she probably know Hum in the past ... unless someone got Hum's email address from Hum's friends or family's address book.

Looks like a login attempt to me... I have that happen to me... someone got my email address and replaced the info... I couldn't get it back or password recovery. I am working on getting it back.

#18 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• 8,351 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 15:49

^ I'm not sure what you mean.

There are 2 different things that happened today.

One -- I got an apparent spam e-mail from a current Neowin member, thru Yahoo. [I do not blame this member ... someone is sending, using his address]

Two, I get an alert from Yahoo, saying that someone in the Ivory Coast, Africa, tried to log-on to my mail account, early in the morning.

I mentioned both events, in case that were somehow related.

Hovering over the Yahoo alert shows this .... I don't question that e-mail is from Yahoo:

Hum, The from email doesn't matter.... because spammer usually send email from anonymous email system which they use someone else's email address in "From" field. But, in the email header, it will show an IP that was sent from... You can't tell if it is a proxy or not. All you do is ignore those email from now on... unless if it is hate or harrass email all the time, report them to ISP, cops, and/or FBI. They will take care of it.

If the email shows that they wants you to send money, then ignore them. Filter these. So you won't get these anymore.

You can change the password every few months for protection unless you move on to email provider with 2-step vertification like Gmail.

If you like Yahoo Mail layout, then you can use your gmail address on yahoo login page at yahoo mail. That way, you wouldn't worry about that crap anymore.

#19 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,525 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 17:24

So you're getting e-mails from other people you know on Neowin? They must have you in your address book and they are compromised, not you. If that is the case, stop opening those e-mails and clicking on the links, then notify the sender in a different method that they need to change their passwords.

I did send a msg to the guy I got an e-mail from, dated yesterday.

The other person from a couple of months ago, I have no contact with.

Didn't the yahoo warning say the opposite?

Detection says this is not a real Yahoo message.

And looking at the log-in pages, no one was able to log-on to my e-mail account.

#20 francescob

francescob

Neowinian Senior

• 1,840 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:11

Detection says this is not a real Yahoo message.

And looking at the log-in pages, no one was able to log-on to my e-mail account.

Then contact Yahoo support? I don't think it should show fake yahoo messages as legit with the yahoo icon like that.

#21 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• 4,470 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:16

It's possible someone has sufficiently spoofed the sender ID system on Yahoo..

It's worth noting Yahoo exposes client IP addresses in emails. I had a guy abusing me via email on my service. In the header it showed the originating IP and I tracked the guy down and suspended his accounts.

I wouldn't touch Yahoo mail for all the money in the world. I'm all in favour of moving to Gmail/Outlook if you get a chance >.>

</unsolicited advice>

#22 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:41

I wonder if someone isn't messing with you.

#23 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,525 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 14:36

^ Could be -- those Canadian guys are strange.

#24 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:24

^ Everyone seems a bit strange these days, to be honest.