Teachers who stomped American flag, Jesus, are gone

Absolutely right, nothing wrong with having pride in your country.

What people here are saying is, you can't have it both ways.

Tell others how they should live their lives but then do the opposite in your own country

It isn't just the United States that is conflicted with this. A good chunk of the world is torn on whether to allow it or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_desecration

I'm almost willing to bet that religious desecration is similar.

Your borderline worshiping of flags and symbols yes.

You are silly. There are many countries that are like that. Should they too be compared to nazi Germany?

MANY men and women have lost their lives for that flag. I lost so much of my small bowel for that Flag that I'm barely hanging on to life myself. Do I love America? Yes emphatically.

People like you didn't join the army for any flag. You did it because you wanted to make money killing people. Try to dress it up any way you like but there's nothing honourable about what you did.

• Like 3

You are silly. There are many countries that are like that. Should they too be compared to nazi Germany?

Of all the Countries I've been too, yes everyone respects their flag or admires it. Many Americans seem fanatical about it and borderline worship it.

It isn't just the United States that is conflicted with this. A good chunk of the world is torn on whether to allow it or not.

http://en.wikipedia....lag_desecration

I'm almost willing to bet that religious desecration is similar.

Just because people in other countries behave in a similar manner doesn't make it right. See how quick you were to object to the comparison with the way symbols were treated in Nazi Germany despite the fact that, in this case, it's a fair comparison.

Of all the Countries I've been too, yes everyone respects their flag or admires it. Many Americans seem fanatical about it and borderline worship it.

I lived here all my life, I can honestly say I haven't seen people that are 'fanatical' about it.

Just because people in other countries behave in a similar manner doesn't make it right. See how quick you were to object to the comparison with the way symbols were treated in Nazi Germany despite the fact that, in this case, it's a fair comparison.

It doesn't mean those countries that are different are right, either. I was quick to object to nazi Germany because it wasn't just symbols and flags. When we start becoming so intolerant that we round up our own citizens and start gassing them in droves, THEN you can compare us. Fair enough?

I lived here all my life, I can honestly say I haven't seen people that are 'fanatical' about it.

It doesn't mean those countries that are different are right, either. I was quick to object to nazi Germany because it wasn't just symbols and flags. When we start becoming so intolerant that we round up our own citizens and start gassing them in droves, THEN you can compare us. Fair enough?

I'll compare you when I want, Freedom :rofl:. Both nations were fanatical about their flag and the symbol of a bird, both have exhibited similar behavior, so I can compare. And if we're getting there, you already round up Citizens, with the highest incarceration rate in the World, and you still execute them with the death penalty. Im not comparing that to Nazi Germany, I made one comparison about why it might make us uneasy and you immediately jump on the defensive. We can have such a thing as a discussion.

I'll compare you when I want, Freedom :rofl:. Both nations were fanatical about their flag and the symbol of a bird, both have exhibited similar behavior, so I can compare.

I guess I missed the part where we attempted genocide on our citizens.

And you don't see it as ironic that in "the land of the free" people are being punished for refusing to play the obsessive patriot?

>

You are feee to do what you want in your private life, but not on the job - especially when you are a public employee like a teacher in a school receiving taxpayer dollars.

There this kind of disrespectful behavior can cause you to lose the respect of the parents, your ultimate employers, and in the example given the kid(s) you're supposed to teach. Once you lose those you cannot effectively do your job and might as well quit, unless of course that isn't your goal & all you want is a paycheck and unfettered political forum.

Then it's up to the school administration to suggest you seek other options - like politics. There you can act like an a**hole all you want.

I guess I missed the part where we attempted genocide on our citizens.

Did I say America enacted genocide on their own citizens? If so could you go back and quote where I claimed America commits genocide on its own people. I already explained what similar behavior you both exhibit. If you're resorting to pulling fictional quotes then I think Im done here.

What a silly attitude to take. I don't want to get into a debate about every little detail about Germany in the '30s and '40s but the enforced ignorance that started with the adulation of the swastika ultimately lead to the formation of the gas chambers. I'm not saying that the same thing is happening in America but ignorance can cause different injustices and in this case two people have lost their jobs.

Did I say America enacted genocide on their own citizens? If so could you go back and quote where I claimed America commits genocide on its own people. I already explained what similar behavior you both exhibit. If you're resorting to pulling fictional quotes then I think Im done here.

LOL, what response did you expect to get? There are many countries that adore and respect their national symbols as well as religious symbols. Instead you just happened to choose a murderous regime that tried to wipe German jews off the face of the planet?

You knew exactly where you were going with this and were trying to get a rise out of me.

What a silly attitude to take. I don't want to get into a debate about every little detail about Germany in the '30s and '40s but the enforced ignorance that started with the adulation of the swastika ultimately lead to the formation of the gas chambers. I'm not saying that the same thing is happening in America but ignorance can cause different injustices and in this case two people have lost their jobs.

Again, many countries are like this. I would argue that your theory is quite odd. Respect for religious and national symbols paves the way to gas chambers?

LOL, what response did you expect to get? There are many countries that adore and respect their national symbols as well as religious symbols. Instead you just happened to choose a murderous regime that tried to wipe German jew off the face of the planet?

You knew exactly where you were going with this and were trying to get a rise out of me.

What response did I expect? An adult one to be honest. Instead what I got was you telling me I'm not allowed to compare the two, but then only if they share a certain behavior all other shared behaviors are invalid. And then I got you trying to make up things that I didn't actually say.

LOL, what response did you expect to get? There are many countries that adore and respect their national symbols as well as religious symbols. Instead you just happened to choose a murderous regime that tried to wipe German jew off the face of the planet?

And most of those countries tend to be ruled by dictators / religious leaders or belong in the middle east. You know the areas of the world most people condemn.

Most people in other countries tend to like their flag / symbols but don't go bat**** insane when someone stomps on it in a public setting.

• Like 3

What response did I expect? An adult one to be honest. Instead what I got was you telling me I'm not allowed to compare the two, but then only if they share a certain behavior all other shared behaviors are invalid. And then I got you trying to make up things that I didn't actually say.

Speaking of making up things that I didn't actually say, I never said you couldn't compare them. I just couldn't believe that you did.

And most of those countries tend to be ruled by dictators / religious leaders or belong in the middle east. You know the areas of the world most people condemn.

Most other countries tend to like their flag / symbols but don't go bat**** insane when someone stomps on it in a public setting.

Look at the link I provided earlier and tell me most of those countries are dictatorships or int he middle east. Actually look this time instead of assuming.

I wouldn't call firing a schoolteacher bat**** insane.

Again, many countries are like this. I would argue that your theory is quite odd. Respect for religious and national symbols paves the way to gas chambers?

You can try to twist my words if you like but I clearly said that this has nothing to do with gas chambers.

Also, this goes beyond simply being about respect for religion (god only knows why belief in the imaginary deserves respect) and national symbols. These are cases of enforced respect where it is dangerous to think differently or to encourage others to think differently. Respect must be earned and if you really believed that a flag and a character in a book were worthy of respect then you would accept that those symbols should be challenged from time to time.

Look at the link I provided earlier and tell me most of those countries are dictatorships or int he middle east. Actually look this time instead of assuming.

You posted a Wikipedia article about how stuff is illegal not people's opinions on it.

Like it or not when it comes to first world countries America takes the cake when it comes to superficial displays of patriotism. The only countries that come off more patriotic have been ones that are run by dictators and mass amounts of propaganda. Countries like Japan under the emperor rule, Nazi Germany, North Korea, etc etc etc. So yes when McKay and jakem1 compared American patriotism to Nazi Germany they both had quite valid points, you just took it like they meant America and Nazism are the same thing (something that neither of them meant).

You also mentioned that the professor should be fired for not separating church and state but there are thousands of schools across the country (both public and private) that have religious studies. They should all be fired too no? If you can teach religion you should also be allowed to stomp on a piece of paper with Jesus written on it.

You posted a Wikipedia article about how stuff is illegal not people's opinions on it.

Like it or not when it comes to first world countries America takes the cake when it comes to superficial displays of patriotism. The only countries that come off more patriotic have been ones that are run by dictators and mass amounts of propaganda. Countries like Japan under the emperor rule, Nazi Germany, North Korea, etc etc etc.

Are not laws forbidding flag desecration forms of enforced patriotism? Many of those countries are not dictatorships or under emperor rule.

You can try to twist my words if you like but I clearly said that this has nothing to do with gas chambers.

Also, this goes beyond simply being about respect for religion (god only knows why belief in the imaginary deserves respect) and national symbols. These are cases of enforced respect where it is dangerous to think differently or to encourage others to think differently. Respect must be earned and if you really believed that a flag and a character in a book were worthy of respect then you would accept that those symbols should be challenged from time to time.

I didn't twist your words one bit.

I don't want to get into a debate about every little detail about Germany in the '30s and '40s but the enforced ignorance that started with the adulation of the swastika ultimately lead to the formation of the gas chambers.

Are not laws forbidding flag desecration forms of enforced patriotism? Many of those countries are not dictatorships or under emperor rule.

Except that I wasn't talking about the laws, I was talking about people's opinion on it.

Hence:

Most people in other countries tend to like their flag / symbols but don't go bat**** insane when someone stomps on it in a public setting.

Thank you. This is what tolerance is about.

When did this become about tolerance?

Afaik neither of those teachers were saying YES GO HATE ON JESUS AND AMERICA, THEY SHOULD ALL BURN IN HELL.

Instead they were trying to show that in-animate things aren't really deserving of any respect. You shouldn't worship a flag or a piece of paper with Jesus written on it because well you're worshiping nothing. You should instead like the idea that the flag symbolizes or the good that Jesus did (if he existed or not is a discussion for another topic) and praise THAT, not some in-animate object that was made by minimum wage workers in China.

If you do not believe or follow it at least have some respect.

Why? Since when do theists respect those that believe differently, such as atheists?

I respect a person, presuming they respect me. I do not respect that persons beliefs.

• Like 3

Speaking of making up things that I didn't actually say, I never said you couldn't compare them. I just couldn't believe that you did.

Oh really? You didn't?

When we start becoming so intolerant that we round up our own citizens and start gassing them in droves, THEN you can compare us. Fair enough?

That to me says "Until America starts doing this, I'm not allowed to compare them"