How do you store your media at home?

Video/Music/Pictures are all on my file server which is a VM running on my esxi host (HP microserver N40L) where the file server has raw access to 3 disks that are in a drive pool.

Now personal video/pictures are stored in multiple places, file server, PC and stored online as well - with copies on optical media stored in my home with copies at my sons home for DR, etc. The personal video is also stored on more than one disk in the pool.

Even if house got taken to OZ or fell into a sink hole I would still have the cloud copies along with the copies at my sons home which is 30+ miles from my home. Think I am ok for DR - you can never have too many backups of your grand daughters first bday, etc. Movies and TV shows can always be recovered its the personal video/pictures that can never be replaced that you have to make sure you have secure backups of!

Music / Pictures: Desktop PC

Videos / Films / TV Series: HTPC

My HTPC is basically another fully functioning PC which will end up running XBMC or something similar. I have 4 hard drives split into TV Series, Movies 1, Movies 2 and Documentary / Kids TV.

The HTPC will also end up looking like this:

dsc_0093.jpg

The current "space for 6 drives" is too low for future proofing, considering I have had it about 2 years and filled 4 out of the 6 bays. However I don't think there is much more to buy.

I have toyed with a rack server but decided to invest in the PC route for now. Plus, no where to put a little rack at the moment that is dry (loft would be far too wet atmosphere).

^ limetech UNRAID!!! Nice!!! I was looking to buy one of their prebuilt boxes a while back - but it seemed they stop making them?

I have a Lenovo D400 Windows Home Server 2011 loaded up with 4 x 2TB drives. Got like 250GB on 1, 40GB on another. LOL. Since Microsoft took out the Drive Extender I didn't get around to merging them before loading the data separately.

The machine maxes out at 2GB of RAM though so looking to put NAS4Free on it instead and do a ZFS share or RAID5 or something so it can be all 1 large drive.

Anyone use NAS4Free? Would use FreeNAS but I hear it needs more power to run ZFS stuff these days.

mp3s and photos are all stored on my synology nas. great software and I can easily stream music from my nas to my phone or receiver. access to all my photos as well.

old iso's, files, etc are all stored on an external 2tb hard drive.

I have most of my stuff on my 2TB and I really want to use Plex Media to stream it to my ps3 but the damn thing never works. I dunno if it just gets confused because I have it on 2 computers, or what.

I'm looking to invest in a good, fast, reliable 3 TB HD.. which ones would you guys recommend? And what approach should I go for backing up my movies on it?

Got 4x1TB Hard drives on a Linux server setup using ZFS as the file system. Basically RAID-5 without write hole issues.

I don't envy people who have single 3TB drives and stores all their data on them. That's a lot of data to go missing if the drive suddenly dies. RAID isn't a backup solution area but it's better than nothing, and ZFS is a better solution over RAID any way.

I have an i3 based OpenElec 3 system with 11TB in it that stores all my media (videos and Music). I have all my BD's, HD-DVD. DVD and Music ripped to it. MKV for the video, FLAC for the audio stuff.

Its accessible to the other pc's/devices in the house via NFS asnd Samba

I store everything on my PC with copies of my videos, music, pictures, install files etc. copied to my NAS (Netgear ready NAS, suits my needs) with the important stuff like the family photos in the cloud to share with friends and family and of course for DR. Everything else can either be recovered or not that important.