Google Music Manager (post-format)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 xplatinum

xplatinum

Neowinian Senior

• 2,840 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:29

I just reinstalled Windows 7 and Google Music Manager. I already have 12k'ish songs in the cloud. Now I point GMM to my original music folder (from which the music was originally uploaded from) and it says I am now 5k over in songs if they are uploaded.

I'm afraid GMM will create a bunch of dupes if I go forward even if it says I will be over. Will it match everything correctly ?

#2 OP xplatinum

xplatinum

Neowinian Senior

• 2,840 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:12

Lol, I seek help on Neowin on very rare occasions and I never get a single reply when I do. It must mean something positive :)

Here's the solution (kinda) for those who are wondering or for those who will eventually fall on this post on a google search.

The only way to avoid re-uploading everything after a format (or changing computer) is to backup the database file located in c:\users\username\appdata\local\google\musicmanager\serverdatase.db
  • Backup the file
  • Format
  • Install Music Manager but once the wizard to add music starts cancel it and close GMM completely
  • Copy your backup over and restart GMM.
  • Voila

I'm currently re-uploading 90gb worth of music :(

#3 Mark

Mark

(: ollǝɥ

• 3,721 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:35

Lol, I seek help on Neowin on very rare occasions and I never get a single reply when I do. It must mean something positive :)

Here's the solution (kinda) for those who are wondering or for those who will eventually fall on this post on a google search.

The only way to avoid re-uploading everything after a format (or changing computer) is to backup the database file located in c:\users\username\appdata\local\google\musicmanager\serverdatase.db

• Backup the file
  • Format
  • Install Music Manager but once the wizard to add music starts cancel it and close GMM completely
  • Voila

That sucks, you'd think they'd keep a copy of the database in the cloud too!

#4 OP xplatinum

xplatinum

Neowinian Senior

• 2,840 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 13:10

iTunes works pretty much the same way even without using the cloud. You have like 5 files to backup in order to preserve your library. If you lose the library files you also have to re-upload/match everything in the cloud and you will lose ratings and play count in the process.

Learned it the hard way ! appdata is not a folder I look after when I'm about to format :) I think I will create myself a pre-format.bat file lol

#5 Mark

Mark

(: ollǝɥ

• 3,721 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 13:14

iTunes works pretty much the same way even without using the cloud. You have like 5 files to backup in order to preserve your library. If you lose the library files you also have to re-upload/match everything in the cloud and you will lose ratings and play count in the process.

Learned it the hard way ! appdata is not a folder I look after when I'm about to format :) I think I will create myself a pre-format.bat file lol

I've never had a problem with iTunes, I have my library saved with all the music on a separate hard drive. iTunes is set to manage the library and all the songs are copied over to the library so it's all in one place. If I were you, I'd keep this stuff on a separate partition if you only have one hard drive.

#6 OP xplatinum

xplatinum

Neowinian Senior

• 2,840 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 13:22

Yes you can store the iTunes library files on a separate partition and shift-launch itunes to browse for the library file but you still lose every metadata-related stuff if you manage to lose it.

The thing with Music Manager is that it cannot use a custom location. It needs to stay in appdata.

I think the safest and easiest solution would be a batch file that copies the database to another location and assign a scheduled task to it.

I've been using iTunes Match for more than a year now but the fact that I cannot use the Match cloud with my Android device made me switch to Google Music. Time will tell... :)

#7 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:11

• Backup the file
  • Format
  • Voila

Thanks for sharing that. That will be very helpful if I have to format and reinstall Windows. :)

#8 asdfboy

asdfboy

Resident One Post Wonder

• 1 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:14

Very helpful, thank you!!

#9 Skiver

Skiver

Neowinian Senior

• 3,172 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:16

• Backup the file
  • Format
  • Voila

Might be worth creating a new thread with this info in the Essential Guides if you can :)

#10 OP xplatinum

xplatinum

Neowinian Senior

• 2,840 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 16:42

Might be worth creating a new thread with this info in the Essential Guides if you can :)

Good idea. Here we go :)

#11 OP xplatinum

xplatinum

Neowinian Senior

• 2,840 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 16:42

Thanks for sharing that. That will be very helpful if I have to format and reinstall Windows. :)

No problem. I added more to the thread I created. It might also come in handy one day :)

http://www.neowin.ne...-database-file/

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!