Processor Help!

Hey guys, I am sure this has been asked, and I did do a quick search on it.. but most of those posts pertained to gaming, wheras gaming is not my top priority.

I am currently building a computer... so far I have a full tower case and psu, and I am stuck on the cpu.

my original plan was to spend ~ 300 on an i7 cpu and 2-300 on an asus motherboard. That is until I began reading about the i5 3570k. Many people in forums are raving about how this processor beats most i7's when overclocked... but what about an overclocked i7 -- surely it cant compete with that?

I am getting ahead of myself, let me explain what I would like to do with this computer:

- HD Video/Sound editing (heavy after effects work)

- Eye Candy Novelty Gaming (Crysis 3, other Eyefinity BS)

- Actual Gaming (Starcraft 2)

So this rig is primarily for Media Editing, and After effects work with minimal lag, and as futureproof as possible... I would like to eventually be able to work with 4k video as it becomes more mainstream.

The things I would like to know are:

- what advantages does both the i5 and i7 bring to the table in terms of my requirements?

-does the video processor on either cpu matter a damn when I will most likely be running 2-3 mid range Radeons crosfired together?

Thanks --- we can get to the mobo discussion after I hear some cpu advice

I have the 3570K (yet to overclock it yet (never got to it))

In gaming, the i7 and i5 will make no damn difference. In gaming, your RAM and GFX are the most important. The only thing that uses your CPU is loading maps.

I'm not too sure about Video editing, but I would think an i5 would take it as well as the i7. I think these programs are harder on the RAM than the CPU while rendering.

i7 CPUs are basically for bragging rights. For actual use, not much more than a few mhz difference.

okay, so for gaming, the cpu is not the focal point, si it makes very little difference... is there anyone with more after effects experience that can point out the pros and cons of the i5 vs i7 cpu in that regard?

I would say go for the i7. You'll be able to process 8 threads instead of 4 which for gaming is not a big deal, but HD Video editing should see a nice boost. It's not only the HT, but you also get 2 more megs of cache with the i7.

If your editing software can use your GPUs, then I'd say save the money and get an i5 and an SSD.

ok thank you, that was the solution I was leaning towards anyway.

My next question is what motherboard should I pair with this processor. I plan on running 3 gpu's and around 32 gigs of ram for the video editing. I am typically a fan of asus boards, but I am open to any suggestions as far as high reliability industry respected manufacturers.

I am also interested in onboard raid controllers, to run 2 ssds in raid0 and multiple spinners in raid5.

one last thing is the more ports the better... some firewire is an asset, 2x gigabit lan is nice but not necessary.

my price range for this is 200-300, and My case can fit atx-xl if necessary... suggestions?

ASRock is under ASUS. They used to be bad, low quality boards, but as of late, they are not bad.

I have the ASRock Z77 Extreme 3 board. It is rather good. I would have gotten the Extreme 4 if I could afford it.