Photo
linux distribution preference

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
87 replies to this topic

Poll: Definitive: Which Linux distribution do you prefer? (2013 edition) (276 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Linux distribution do you prefer?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#46 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: HTC ONE V

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:13

I've tried all versions of Ubuntu, and Lubuntu has to be my favourite.  My god is my netbook ever fast on Lubuntu (it uses LXDE gui).  

I tried Linux Mint (Olivia, with Cinnamon GUI), on my desktop gaming PC, and it was just too damn slow.  I have no idea why it was so slow, since my PC is more than capable enough for any operating system.  It must have been running in 2D-mode, or didn't have HW acceleration turned on, or something.  But the Linux Mint forums are completely dead, and there wasn't anyone there willing to reply to my posts about the issue.

Just a wild guess, but did you try asking on here? Being that Mint is based off of Ubuntu, I'm sure we could help you.

#47 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • OS: Xubuntu 14.04.1 / Server 2012 R2 / Ubuntu Server 14.04.1
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 05 September 2013 - 18:41

At home, Mint 15 at the moment.

At work, Ubuntu 10.04.1LTS.

#48 guitmz

guitmz

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 05 September 2013 - 19:07

Elementary OS, Fedora and Arch for me. Nothing against the others, I really like Debian, Gentoo, Slack, etc but this is what I run at the moment (and I change a lot so my answer may not last a few weeks haha) :)

#49 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5S 64GB

Posted 05 September 2013 - 19:37

Ubuntu with a lot of heavy customization 

#50 sean.ferguson

sean.ferguson

Anonymous

Posted 06 September 2013 - 16:33

Still Arch for me here, does everything and anything you need it to and so long as your sure to read the homepage before upgrading very few breakages happen. :)

#51 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:02

I think I finally may have found the one for me. It's been a long road and I've used a lot of distros, but I am using LXLE right now and I can't say enough good things about it. Never thought I would end up on an "old" LTS release. :)

#52 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 16 September 2013 - 22:46

I always end up coming back to arch linux. Just love having the very latest stuff to play with :) I also like how all the software is 'upstream', no weird distro patches causing unexpected bugs (**cough ubuntu **cough) And I've actually found it to be surprisingly stable, considering its uncompromising rolling-release nature. I tend to have less problems/bugs with arch than I do with ubuntu.

#53 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 September 2013 - 00:26

^ My only experience to date with Arch has been Manjaro and it was a very disappointing experience.

#54 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 September 2013 - 00:41

^ My only experience to date with Arch has been Manjaro and it was a very disappointing experience.

I tried it recently too, the installer silently crashed mid install for no reason, wasn't impressed either :p

Manjaro struck me as being quite amateurish, I don't get how its gotten so popular.

Regular arch is much better, but its definitely not for everyone :)

#55 astropheed

astropheed

astropheed

Posted 17 September 2013 - 00:57

Have been using Mint 14 for a while now, installing Mint 15 on VMware as I type this to see how it goes. It's a big contender for a straight up Windows 7 replacement OS.

#56 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:39

Ever since getting involved in Debian development I'm not sure I could ever change distributions. From a purely technical infrastructure perspective I believe Debian is far ahead of every other distribution. Although, anyone who has read my posts over the last year probably could have guessed my vote regardless...

And I thank you xorangekiller for being half responsible for turning me onto Debian even if you didn't know you did!

Fantastic, stable distro. :)

I've tried many other distros, but have just about always wiped them out within a month at the most. Have Debian solely on 3 of my machines, and they have been for a few months now, while the other 6 are Windows 7. Isn't any Linux distro ever going to make me get rid of Windows 7 though.

#57 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: HTC ONE V

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:32

Yeah, cork. Xorangekiller got me into Debian as well. Ubuntu was good, but way too bloaty.

#58 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 September 2013 - 16:25

I don't get how its gotten so popular.

I've thought the same about many distros, including Mint. 

#59 Walid W.

Walid W.

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4s & HTC One

Posted 04 October 2013 - 19:38

I actually use Ubuntu at the moment but I like Arch more but the problem is that I couldn't set it up myself that was too much for a Linux n00bie and my vote went for Arch now.

#60 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 04 October 2013 - 19:40

Redhat devs... so that makes it RHEL/CentOS/Fedora