Photo

Why doesn't Windows 8's setup use the Modern UI style?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 pes2013

pes2013

Neowinian

Posted 31 March 2013 - 22:00

Im installing Windows 8 in a virutal machine and I notice that the setup doesnt have Modern UI style elements.

Is there a technical reason for this?

#2 Buendia

Buendia

Neowinian

Posted 31 March 2013 - 22:03

No, they just didn't bother to update it or were busy updating other things, like Metro design.

#3 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 31 March 2013 - 22:05

They undated the post-install has been updated so far at least. I just think it's low on the priority list.

#4 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 31 March 2013 - 22:13

The setup screens in Windows always look like the previous version of Windows. For instance, here's are the Vista setup screens which you can see start off with classic theme borders and title bars:

It's all quite deliberate.

#5 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 31 March 2013 - 22:15

The only consistency you can expect from Microsoft is that their interfaces are always highly inconsistent.

#6 PotatoAlchemist

PotatoAlchemist

Neowinian

Posted 31 March 2013 - 22:17

One of the bigger technical reasons why I think they didn't get a Metrofied setup interface set at the first phase of the setup was more related to Metro working well if Explorer runs as shell.
Ohh, and of course they were laaaaazy to change it too!

#7 OP pes2013

pes2013

Neowinian

Posted 31 March 2013 - 22:24

The setup screens in Windows always look like the previous version of Windows. For instance, here's are the Vista setup screens which you can see start off with classic theme borders and title bars:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/freeed/sets/72157594490796701/

It's all quite deliberate.

Windows XP's setup was nothing like those.

#8 +Brandon Live

Brandon Live

Seattle geek

Posted 31 March 2013 - 22:28

Im installing Windows 8 in a virutal machine and I notice that the setup doesnt have Modern UI style elements.

Is there a technical reason for this?

Not sure what you mean, the new setup client very much uses the Windows 8 style. Or do you mean the classic/legacy installer? Obviously that one wasn't changed much since it's legacy by definition :-)

#9 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 March 2013 - 22:32

Windows XP's setup was nothing like those.

You misunderstood me. I'm not saying that the setup looks like XP's, I'm saying that the windows during Vista's setup use classic theme rather than Aero theme so it is reminiscent of XP. If you take a look at the border and titlebar of the first screenshots with windows (the third and fourth slides) you'll see that they use the classic theme. It's only later in the setup that it starts to use a glass-like effect. I'm sure they do this deliberately to demonstrate that you are upgrading.

#10 OP pes2013

pes2013

Neowinian

Posted 31 March 2013 - 22:32

Not sure what you mean, the new setup client very much uses the Windows 8 style. Or do you mean the classic/legacy installer? Obviously that one wasn't changed much since it's legacy by definition :-)

I mean start your computer and boot from the Windows 8 DVD to install....

#11 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 31 March 2013 - 22:35

If you boot from the installer image you get faux Windows Vista Aero.

You misunderstood me. I'm not saying that the setup looks like XP's, I'm saying that the windows during Vista's setup use classic theme rather than Aero theme so it is reminiscent of XP. If you take a look at the border and titlebar of the first screenshots with windows (the third and fourth slides) you'll see that they use the classic theme. It's only later in the setup that it starts to use a glass-like effect. I'm sure they do this deliberately to demonstrate that you are upgrading.

The Windows 8 installer first starts in Aero Basic and then goes to Windows Vista's Aero. You don't get the Windows 8 desktop theme anywhere during installation. When going by your story Windows 8's Installer should at least use Windows 7's Aero theme. It doesn't do that either.

#12 RatherLargeBear

RatherLargeBear

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Galaxy Note II

Posted 31 March 2013 - 23:00

The only consistency you can expect from Microsoft is that their interfaces are always highly inconsistent.

OSX is highly consistent!
/s

#13 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 March 2013 - 23:00

If you boot from the installer image you get faux Windows Vista Aero.

The Windows 8 installer first starts in Aero Basic and then goes to Windows Vista's Aero. You don't get the Windows 8 desktop theme anywhere during installation. When going by your story Windows 8's Installer should at least use Windows 7's Aero theme. It doesn't do that either.

What? Aero is the theme in the previous version of Windows and later in the process it switches to a Windows 8 Modern theme. What is difficult to understand here? The pattern is old theme, new theme. If you want to argue about any other details such as whether the aero looks like Vista or 7 then knock yourself out. I've wasted enough time on this pointless thread already.

#14 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 31 March 2013 - 23:01

Then why do so many detractors cry over Microsoft removing the glass effects in Windows 8, when Microsoft actually took the time to flatten it to match the Metro UI?

#15 Lee G.

Lee G.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 March 2013 - 23:10

I don't think updating the setup is a priority. The Windows Blue setup, however, has been updated and the windows look like a mix of Windows 7 and Windows 8.

Posted Image

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!