• This topic is locked This topic is locked
810 replies to this topic

#31 OP Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:08

Metro does have its place in the OS world, but not integrated into a Desktop OS where 95%+ of users use and will continue to use a keyboard and mouse, it is 101% a touch interface, my mouse pointer is nice and small, perfect for clicking little buttons

The switchover to touch has begun. It's unavoidable it will augment many desktop systems in a few years. Kids today are growing up with touch, the way we grew up with the mouse.

#32 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:09

Huzzah, numbers..

I like numbers >.<

Works well for me :)

#33 rfirth

rfirth

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:12

Posted Image

#34 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:14

The switchover to touch has begun. It's unavoidable it will augment many desktop systems in a few years. Kids today are growing up with touch, the way we grew up with the mouse.

The switchover yea, but the majority of PC owners don't have a touchscreen, and most likely never will, I'm a heavy PC user and am absolutely not looking to buy a touchscreen any time soon, especially if Win 8 is the OS I would have to run to make any use of it

What MS are doing is like saying, 'Well electric cars are the future, so we're going to start removing petrol pumps from the garages'

What about the billions of people who don't have an electric car?

(EDIT - I wouldn't even say that it is a switchover at all, Touch is a new technology, not a replacement for one that works fine)

I'd like to hear the response to your argument against companies like Razer, "Sorry guys, your mouse and keyboard range is doomed"

#35 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:15

Yeah. For mobile. Huge key difference there. There are 0 uses for touch on a desktop right now and trying to force it is just going to **** people off.

#36 mrp04

mrp04

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:17

Posted Image

Posted Image

#37 jjkusaf

jjkusaf

Deadhead

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:17

Using touch to play Angry Birds or sending text messages isn't the same as using a keyboard/mouse to get work done.

Maybe you enjoy sitting within two feet of your monitor(s)....I don't. Touch will not overtake keyboard/mouse....people will have to be right on top of their monitors (not to include all the muscle fatigue from constantly raising/lowering arms).

#38 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:24

I DO NOT hate Windows 8. Let me be clear on this. I think it was poorly marketed, to say even OEMs weren't up on Windows8 and got the bad rap on poor Windows 8 sales. It is a tablet & touchscreen OS only. It was designed that way and left the rest of us behind who still enjoy our 1,2 & 3 year old systems. However, it does work on my system but, it was meant for small tablet systems like the surface RT and pro lines. I'm not privy of the surface system as it doesn't appeal to me.

I still own my copy of Win8 on a DVD I burned the ISO to. I might just have to see what Windows 9 brings to the table and skip over 8. If MS were smart, they should appeal to tablet AND Laptop/Desktop users for the home. But that's just me and my opinion.

#39 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:24

Many people have decided those "quirks" that you, someone who favors Windows 8, have identified, as a reason to stick with Windows 7. It quirks them more than it quirks you. That is their choice, just as it is your choice to put up with those "quirks".

Honestly, there isn't anything that I can think of off the top of my head that I find annoying at all. I mentioned quirks because I know that I did stop and pause to reflect on a few UI choices in the past, but they're obviously not important enough or frequently used enough that I can just list them out on command. I can't imagine there's anything that Start8 or similar programs can't fix, while for the tradeoff of using some small third party fixes you're gaining a much better optimized OS, better support for modern hardware (e.g. Defrag -> Optimizer), better core programs like explorer (e.g. file copy) and task manager, and nifty new features like Storage Spaces.

#40 Hitman2000

Hitman2000

joO 4R3 73H L337!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:49

I don't hate windows 8.

I played with it on a few touchscreen devices and it actually works great on them, full screen apps on a tablet where multitasking is not an issue windows 8 is great, on touchscreen laptop its ok, but it gets old after a while touching the screen and I resort back to the mouse and kb.

My main problem is windows 8 on a non touchscreen desktop (and no I don't care about the start menu its a non issue)

this is why I get a headache on neowin when people like dot matrix refuse to even concede a millimetre against windows 8.

#41 Liana

Liana

Tech Girl

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:32

I tried Windows 8 on my desktop on two different occasions, and both times the UI was frustrating and felt unintuitive. I really wanted to like Windows 8 but it feels like a step down from Windows 7 -- it has almost nothing to offer me to make me want to switch to it. I'm sure I could get comfortable with the UI in time, but honestly I don't see a benefit in "upgrading" to Win 8 right now or anytime soon.

I've never been much of a Linux user but after Windows 7 gets old enough, I will seriously look into using Linux as my main OS.

#42 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:59

Meh, Your problem is thinking there is going to be one or the other, when this has proven to be false in past few years.

Touch based devices and a traditional desktop computer serve totally different purposes. While you can do some of the same on both, one does a certain task better.

No one is ever going to want to carry a desktop computer in their pocket to quickly check email, text, look up something, call people, etc, and no one is ever going to want to do real work on a current mobile touch device.

Traditional desktop computers are going no where.
They will simply co-exist together, since they are completely different.

Mistake Microsoft made was trying to make them ONE and force it on others.

Then explain Android.

Android started as a touch-only OS, but grew to accept non-touch input - most WindowsRT devices started as Android-only devices.

That is, I think, the real issue - the acceptance of change is predicated on it NOT being Windows that changes.

Windows - from a UI point of view - has changed the least of any OS since 1995; what changes there HAVE been have been fought tooth and nail.

Most of those that want no part of ModernUI would be quite happy if Android supplanted Windows in terms of non-desktop form factors - *because* Windows would be the way they wanted. They are perfectly happy with Windows becoming a niche operating system.

Never mind that it's not what Microsoft wants - what THEY want is for Windows to change as little as possible.

I tried Windows 8 on my desktop on two different occasions, and both times the UI was frustrating and felt unintuitive. I really wanted to like Windows 8 but it feels like a step down from Windows 7 -- it has almost nothing to offer me to make me want to switch to it. I'm sure I could get comfortable with the UI in time, but honestly I don't see a benefit in "upgrading" to Win 8 right now or anytime soon.

I've never been much of a Linux user but after Windows 7 gets old enough, I will seriously look into using Linux as my main OS.

And you have added another data point - you are unaccepting of the idea of a change in Windows. By stating a desire to leave Windows altogether, rather than accept ANY change, you are basically voting not for status quo ante, but for the status quo period.

#43 Order_66

Order_66

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:30

The best thing about this thread is that Dot Matrix posted it and because it tries (and failed) to show a positive light on windows 8 it will probably never be locked regardless of the many arguments and trolling that his post is clearly and deliberately designed to incite.

However the facts about windows 8 still ring true, it is a colossal failure at the retail level, it has a much lower adoption rate than Vista, software developers are thriving from making 8 "usable" with various start menu replacements, new customers at stores like Best Buy, Microcenter etc are avoiding windows 8 like the plague, so much that even Dell by their own admission are on the brink of going private, even sales of macs have gone up because of 8, the fail just goes on and on...

Windows 8 is BY FAR the biggest failure os ever released in the entire history of microsoft, it didn't have to be that way but it is what it is unfortunately.

#44 francescob

francescob

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:53

Windows 8 hasn't stopped me doing anything that I could do in Windows 7.

Well, then try importing and deleting photos from your camera, the stock photos app doesn't even allow that (also you cannot associate WLPG to photo importing any longer), or sending mails from desktop applications or even explorer "send to": when you use the metro mail app, it won't work because the Mail app does not support MAPI so you actually need to use two mail apps, one for metro apps and another for the desktop apps. In general, every metro app is an huge step back from the windows live suite versions and have only a microscopic fraction of the features: the photo app with the unbelievably small zoom slider at the bottom right, that doesn't remember any sorting order, or even the thumbnail size, is the saddest application ever conceived after the visual basic user interfaces in CSI.The whole metro experience also feels unnatural, using the vertical scroll wheel to scroll horizontally, right click to select items, ctrl+scrollwheel to zoom photos, options that appears only when pressing right click without any hint of their existence? Maybe if they simply simulated a a touchscreen so that you could simply click and drag to scroll it wouldn't have felt so weird to use.

#45 seta-san

seta-san

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:58

It's still a change and your resistance to it, even you admitted it, you didn't allow yourself to like it

your argument here relies on the presumption that all change is good. I went into windows not with an open mind but fully believing that it was going to be the greatest thing ever. And then it continually got on my nerves. I finally broke down anad installed a start menu replacement program and banished the start screen. I'll try it again when 'blue' is released. I guess one of the saddest ironies of Windows 8 is that it seems to be a first step to get rid of the desktop and yet it sports the best version of "windows explorer" found on any version of windows.