Just how many people hate Windows 8?

I flattened my machine and used 8 as my only OS for weeks and weeks, maybe longer, and tried very very hard to understand and enjoy it, but in the end it was such a PITA to do the simplest of tasks that I got rid and reinstalled 7

When I did, my machine completely made sense again, things were in sensible places and my brain didn't hurt trying to remember to click here and move the mouse to this corner and wait for this to appear, etc etc

Change is not the issue, pointless retarded changes that make things take longer / make things awkward, is the issue

I know this is an older post, but I can't help voicing my opinion - and I know "opinions are like armpits..." blah, blah. I am a Windows 8 hater myself. Normally I looked forward to the newest, latest-greatest Windows OS's ever since Windows 95 upgrade to 98! I tried Windows 8 as the beta stage, knowing that there would be tweaks and changes with the final release, but I feel the same way as "Detection" here. It's not enjoyable to be forced into stupid "pointless retarded changes that make things take longer / make things awkward". Exactly WHY does all of my interfaces need to be identical anyways? I enjoy having the vareity and tweaking things my own way. I don't want a desktop PC with a touchscreen. I like my Android phone. Microsoft needs to listen to what users want and not try to force what they believe we want onto the market. No doubt it's probably cheaper for them to make the OS if they're all the same format. I'm hoping for them to get the clue by falling sales and just at least give of a choice of interface in Windows 9. I believe Windows 7 still rules! Lets hope Microsoft continues supporting it for a long time!

I've been using it a lot more since i installed it as a 2nd OS due to the need for MS Publisher and a few other apps.. i must admit i'm really getting used to it and working with it is no longer a pain, however.. i still feel the start screen is one massive waste of time for both the windows devs and the end user, it does nothing to make it worth implementing, i only ever bring it up to load apps i don't sit watching tiles slide the news and weather it's usually 1 or 2 seconds then i'm in my app and it's gone until i need to load something else. The separation between the OS and Metro is horrendous, it doesn't feel fluid enough, more like the start screen is a separate app launcher on top of windows.

Metro should have been a fork of Windows built for tablet devices, with the option to install this over whatever this generation of Windows should have been.

I've been using Windows 8 for a little while now, and while it's not my favourite OS. To say that I hated it would be too far. Sure the fact that sometimes it uses a fast hybrid shut-down, and sometimes it doesn't, and I've had to install a free application to reintroduce a start menu are bug bears, but compared to the hours of configuration I used to use to get Windows XP how I liked it, its no big whoop. 

An Aside, Windows 8 64bit seems incredibly backward compatible:

post-105752-0-81725100-1373534041.png

(That's visual c++ 6.0)

Boot to desktop and no edge shortcuts in 8.1 was a first step, but they need to do more for desktop users:

1. Ability to resize the start screen so it only takes up a fraction of its current space and doesn't obscure the desktop.

3. All Apps sorting is still a disaster. Folders are stacked on top of eachother in uneven columns instead of nested, making a giant mess of shortcuts, far worse than the start menu.

4. True context menu functionality. If I right click a shortcut I want the real deal, renaming, deleting, copying, command line properties, etc. from inside the start screen itself, not having to open a separate window in explorer.

5. Nested folders, including the nested control panel, network, favorites, recent documents/programs, etc.

6. If Metro apps are to be of any use to multitasking desktop users, they have to be able to be run in a desktop window. Aka ModernMix from Stardock.

7. Bring back desktop search and restore its former functionality, we don't want to use a crippled fullscreen app for searching.

8. New explorer ribbon, networks sidebar, and task manager are all functionality disasters.

9. Bringing back Aero and other desktop/dialogue box functionality that was removed would be nice. Yes I realize this single point about Aero will be cherry picked on by posters who have no answer to the other points, but I like Aero and I think it's worth mentioning.

8. Let us make the start screen background transparent, not just show a mockup of the desktop wallpaper. Give us more options for adjusting the color scheme of start screen shortcuts. Not all of us like the hideous neon green/purple/orange palette.

You realize that the PC sector has been declining long before Windows 8 was ever released?

And after Windows 8 launch, that decline accelerated.

Your average joe rejects Windows 8 because it is confusing and obscures common commands like Shut Down. Power users and professionals also reject Windows 8 for more refined reasons (listed above). Either way, it is a disaster for the PC industry that was already in trouble.

I've been using Windows 8 for a little while now, and while it's not my favourite OS. To say that I hated it would be too far. Sure the fact that sometimes it uses a fast hybrid shut-down, and sometimes it doesn't, and I've had to install a free application to reintroduce a start menu are bug bears, but compared to the hours of configuration I used to use to get Windows XP how I liked it, its no big whoop. 

An Aside, Windows 8 64bit seems incredibly backward compatible:

attachicon.gifc++.png

(That's visual c++ 6.0)

I mean, that's cool and brings back memories, but why wouldn't VS6 work? Until they drop 32 bit support, which isn't happening anytime soon still, there shouldn't be many compatibility issues, though I wouldn't put it past MS to arbitrarily destroy compatibility with older applications just for another pointless new feature.

But when you put it that way, Windows 8 is definitely not the WORST OS I've used, I mean I wouldn't put it below ME or anything like that. I would probably put it below Vista though because there really was never that much wrong with Vista to be honest. So I'll say it's the second worst, hah.

Like I've said before, you CAN multitask in Windows 8, but **** me if I know what I'm talking about. I guess all these windows I have open in Metro aren't proof of that.

And again, what the hell does AERO or Advanced Appearance Settings do to your productivity? Do you just sit and change your window borders all day?

I actually prefer the aero look over the current bland colors and icons. How something looks and feels does affect how I feel, and possibly other people as well. So if I'm forced to work in an OS environment filled with uninspired colors and icons, it tends to depress me. 

Colors I prefer in a room would be something like sky blue or light yellow. Color is actually very important to the psychological well-being of people. I have nothing against those who like the Metro UI. Maybe I'd consider using it if Microsoft change the UI with a touch of elegant colors or something then maybe I'd use it.

I used to work at a pizza store and as I remember, the color scheme were carefully chosen to excite hunger by using shades of red and green. 

Perhaps people with sensitivity to colors are negatively affected by Metro's current design. I think we can all agree that happier people are people that are more productive. I have no hard facts to substantiate the effect or the potential effect of color or how something look on people's mental well-being, but I think it does through inference. 

Why else would people put nice scenic paintings and pictures in their homes and offices? It's because pictures and colors greatly affect how people feel in their environment. 

Oh UI makes a HUGE difference when you have to deal with it constantly, for example, at work. To give a perfect example I'd use http://panic.com/coda/'>Coda. Coda actually makes me WANT to use it. It's UI is so pleasant that I enjoy using the software and it makes me feel better about the work I'm doing. With Windows 8 I felt like I was constantly swapping around two different OSes mashed together into one big mess. It wasn't pleasant to use at all, and while I could manage to get almost anything I wanted to done, it was an obnoxious experience on the way. I've said it before and I'll say it again. MS can still save the whole "Metro" UI and even the start screen and all that, but it's going to take some work. It looks and functions awful right now.

Windows 8 to me is very flawed. Not because the start menu is gone, nor because the power options have been moved to an obscure place. But because of the way in which  a number of - originally great - concepts have been implemented. This is going to be a long post and a bit like an article as I feel I need to explain a lot to make my point.

[...]

You sir should work for Microsoft.

This is everything i think was done wrong with Windows 8.

Personally, I wish they would do away with the desktop mode. They could do that if would have some sort of bar that displays open apps, so users like me (and most of us) could easily switch between apps. 

If you ditch the desktop you need to let desktop users run RT apps in a window over the start screen in a not full screen or snapped mode.

And after Windows 8 launch, that decline accelerated.

Your average joe rejects Windows 8 because it is confusing and obscures common commands like Shut Down. Power users and professionals also reject Windows 8 for more refined reasons (listed above). Either way, it is a disaster for the PC industry that was already in trouble.

Sounds like you want an overloaded, over stuffed OS. In that case, I hope you never work in software development. You're trying to hold onto old ideas, which don't work when you're trying to move on to new things. You say you want "Bringing back Aero and other desktop/dialogue box functionality that was removed would be nice.", but what? You want Program Manager back? How about the old Font explorer that was removed? How about the Desktop Cleanup Wizard? All of these features were removed for one main reason: their functionality was superseded by new things. Same with the features removed in Windows 8 and 8.1. Their functionality has been moved to new places, or the features were no longer needed.

You also say "4. If Metro apps are to be of any use to multitasking desktop users, they have to be able to be run in a desktop window. Aka ModernMix from Stardock." but seem to be ignoring that Metro applications can be docked next to your desktop. They're not designed to run on the desktop, and never natively will. Docking them to the side doesn't break your workflow.

"5. Bring back desktop search and restore its former functionality, we don't want to use a crippled fullscreen app for searching." Dear God, NO. Try using the Search in 8.1, and you'll never go back. Also, Search on 8.1 isn't fullscreen anymore. If you have been paying attention to things, you would know this. 

Shut down is no more obscured than it was when it was in the Start Menu. Power Users should be sharp enough to realize there are shortcuts to the things they need, and how to get to them.

The changes in Windows 8 and 8.1 are no different than the changes in Windows 95. The industry and the users adapted. They'll adapt here, too.

Within the "nerd" set, there a few vocal types that don't like change, it's best if we ignore them instead of making them feel like their antiquated views matter when they don't

Saying windows 8 dislike is just within the "nerd" set would be pretty inaccurate IMO. I do tech support, and talk to a lot people that are anywhere between average or totally computer illiterate. Most people I talk to seem to really dislike windows 8, the start screen, hot corners, and gestures do nothing but confuse average users.

I'm more within the "nerd" set, and have no problems with it myself, and use it on my desktop pc at home, but I can definitely see why an average user would be confused when trying to use it. Most users can barely even figure out keyboard shortcuts, so hiding many things behind gestures, hot corners, and shortcuts just doesn't work. Windows 8 is just more awkward to use on a desktop than windows 7, unless you become very familiar with the keyboard shortcuts and gestures, and most average desktop users don't want to do that, they just want "point and click".

"Sounds like you want an overloaded, over stuffed OS." False, I want an OS with the same or better functionality. Personal attacks instead of arguments, typical. Let me guess, you were stonewalling for "forced boot to start screen" and "forced edge shortcuts" right up until 8.1 was announced?

"You want Program Manager back?" Strawman attack. False equivalency. I never mentioned any of those things. I did mention things like the network sidebar, explorer ribbon, task manager, open with dialogue, Advanced Appearance Settings, etc.

"but seem to be ignoring that Metro applications can be docked next to your desktop" Docking is not a windows replacement, and I already mentioned docking in a previous post, far from ignoring it. You however frequently ignore points you have no response to while cherry picking superficial things like Aero.

"Also, Search on 8.1 isn't fullscreen anymore." It's still an app that cannot be run in a desktop window. Win 8 search was terribly crippled, 8.1 search slightly less so. Still not the same as Win XP/7 search.

"Power Users should be sharp enough to realize there are shortcuts to the things they need, and how to get to them." If you can't argue against something, insult the arguer instead! Your unwillingness to admit issues that MS has already backpeddled on heavily suggests that you are deliberately obstinate and stonewalling.

The discussion is about about functionality, not "old" and "new". "New = better" is a complete fallacy.

Your post is chock full of easily destroyed logical fallacies and personal attacks.

• Like 3

Guys, I'm starting to think this Dot Matrix character is just trolling.  His/her posts are so hostile and personal and fallacious, he/she is obviously getting some kind of kick out of pising you guys off.  Sure there are plenty of good points to be made from the pro-Win8 side, but they aren't going to come from him/her.

• Like 2

The discussion is about about functionality, not "old" and "new". "New = better" is a complete fallacy.

This reply is a complete fallacy. You cannot have new without first removing the old. If you want old, then it's best to stick with the old, until you're ready to move on. Windows 8 is a different breed of animal, built for a new generation of devices, much like Windows 95 all those years ago.

Also, "better" is subjective. I can say that Windows 8 on my Surface is MUCH better than my old Windows 7 tablet. Having an app store is MUCH better than hunting through the Internet for things that may or may not be safe to install. Having larger live tiles is MUCH better than having infinitesimal icons crammed together in an equally tiny box. Having integrated Search is MUCH better than before since it not only searches my HDD for files, tags, and keywords, but also searches the Internet as well. "Do I have XYZ app installed? Well, let's do a search... Nope, not found. Oh, look at that, a link to the app's website/Store entry. That'll save me a few clicks." 

Another illogical non-post. "You cannot have new without first removing the old" has nothing to do with whether newer or older is more functional, or the many instances where both new and old can co-exist. The word "functionality" is like a cross to a vampire when it comes to Win 8 trolls, apparently.

I'm talking about desktops not tablets. However, the suggestions I have would not be a bad idea for tablets either.

App store has positives and minuses, just like the iOS or Android walled gardens. Being on an MS approved store does not automatically = safety. Exploit laden/security risk apps have appeared on all 3 stores.

"infinitesimal icons" hyperbole alert. MS already had desktop live tiles, they were called Gadgets.

"it not only searches my HDD for files, tags, and keywords" Windows 8 does not do those things. 8.1 addresses it somewhat but not fully. Integrated internet search is not necessarily a bad idea but doesn't make up for other issues.

• Like 2

"it not only searches my HDD for files, tags, and keywords" Windows 8 does not do those things. 8.1 addresses it somewhat but not fully. Integrated internet search is not necessarily a bad idea but doesn't make up for other issues.

What do you mean Windows 8 doesn't do that, of course it does. Just like Windows 7 does. It'll search for anything you want.

For example, tags. Enter (without quotes) "tags:Your Tags Here", and it'll search for them. Search is unchanged from Windows 7.

Then why do you keep responding to him?  He gets off on making you mad!

Not mad at all, I came here specifically to dismantle stonewalling, fallacious, insulting posters like him.

• Like 2

Then why do you keep responding to him?  He gets off on making you mad!

Personally I find the fanboyism amusing. I like to come fuel it every now and then. :laugh:

I was trying to think of a way to succinctly share my thoughts on Windows 8 and Microsoft have managed to make a video that mostly shares my point.

http://youtu.be/RS6r8QgLfLk

Windows 8 was made to fit into an add like that. Not if it was actually a good thing to do for a desktop OS.

Even with the Surface RT price drop you can get an Android tablet with the same specs for cheaper, with a better software ecosystem.

Yes this is related to Windows 8 because one of their main strategies for pushing the less efficient, less productive, less functional start screen on desktop users is to make them more likely to buy MS tablets and phones. Not working. All MS has managed to do is **** off their existing customers while failing to attract the iOS/Android crowd.