Want a SSD but find them too pricey? Here's your chance :D

who still shops at macmall? LOL I havnt seen macmall in like 5 years . . . Crazy. I remember when I purchased my Zip Drive from MacMall back in 1998 or 1999

who still shops at macmall? LOL I havnt seen macmall in like 5 years . . . Crazy. I remember when I purchased my Zip Drive from MacMall back in 1998 or 1999

Obviously some people do or else it'd be shut down...

SSDs are still not worth it for regular PCs.

A Seagate Ive found with 4TB is set at $188. Until there is a SSD with 4TB at about 200-250, it isnt worth it. If you are obsessed with performance, then yes but for 90% of computer users, no.

This type of mindset is just plain stupid. You don't use SSD's to store data... :| You use the SSD's as a boot drive, and use HDD's to store all your data.

This type of mindset is just plain stupid. You don't use SSD's to store data... :| You use the SSD's as a boot drive, and use HDD's to store all your data.

Becareful calling things 'stupid', I used the term moronic and got a warn level increase ;)

Becareful calling things 'stupid', I used the term moronic and got a warn level increase ;)

only if you called a person that would you get warned

only if you called a person that would you get warned

I'm not calling the person stupid - it's just that people need to change their mindset when it comes to SSD's - they're really not ideal for high capacity storage at the moment because of their price/GB. You can attain a decent 128 GB SSD for less than $130, and use that as your boot drive/programs, while you use your high capacity HDD for storing documents, pictures, movies, etc.

I'm not calling the person stupid - it's just that people need to change their mindset when it comes to SSD's - they're really not ideal for high capacity storage at the moment because of their price/GB. You can attain a decent 128 GB SSD for less than $130, and use that as your boot drive/programs, while you use your high capacity HDD for storing documents, pictures, movies, etc.

That's why I have a 128GB SSD for my OS/boot/programs and a 3TB mirrored RAID array for all my storage :)

• 1 month later...

SSDs are still not worth it for regular PCs.

A Seagate Ive found with 4TB is set at $188. Until there is a SSD with 4TB at about 200-250, it isnt worth it. If you are obsessed with performance, then yes but for 90% of computer users, no.

What you use an SSD for is to speed up OS loads and (at best) most-used software - not as a whole-system drive.

An ideal *desktop* tag-team is an SSD of 128GB (such as the smaller SAMSUNG 840Pro) and a 2TB or larger HDD for all other use.

An SSD - even on SATA controllers that support a *mere* SATA 3.0g (such as Intel's ICH7) will still eat the fastest HDDs for lunch in typical desktop usage; Tom's Hardware recently re-confirmed this point (http://bit.ly/ZRdUpn).

Why else have SSDs caught on for notebooks and even legacy laptops as a quick upgrade?