• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 bgjerlow

bgjerlow

Neowinian

• Phone: Samsung ATIV S

Posted 01 April 2013 - 17:42

Hello guys

Recently I have decided to go into PC gaming, as I've had to spend some money on upgrading my desktop PC. These upgrades had to done any way, as I've recently started my own graphic design business. So, what kind of games can you recommend? I have been thinking about getting ARMA 2 (for DayZ) or perhaps ARMA 3. I'm mainly into shooters and open-world games :)

Here is my PC specs:

Motherboard: Foxconn M61PMV
CPU: AMD Athlon X4 620
GPU: ASUS GeForce GT 610 2GB DDR3
Memory: 4GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 401MHz
Storage: 500GB Western Digital + 750GB Samsung
PSU: Cooler Master GX 550w

Thanks in advance! :)

#2 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 01 April 2013 - 17:54

A Geforce 610 isn't going to run much of anything well, although if you're into shooters and open world, you probably can't go wrong with Battlefield 3.

#3 Viper217

Viper217

Neowinian

Posted 01 April 2013 - 18:13

If you like open world games with rpg elements, give Fallout: New Vegas a shot. If open world with rock-solid shooter elements, creepy atmosphere, and a touch of sci-fi, give Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl (first one), and Stalker: Call of Pripyat (it's fantastic sequel, better in many ways but a bit looser story) a go, I can't recommend those two games enough. Far Cry 3 would also be an option for a much more scripted game.

if MP games are what you want, and you dont mind using origin (EAs steam-without-any-sales-or-benefit) then Battlefield 3 is plenty of fun. Tribes Ascend is free to play and very fast, great game. I don't know how well it would run but you could give Planetside 2 a shot as well on the free to play front.

Other games you could look into: Natural Selection 2, Skyrim, Metro 2033, Red Orchestra 2, Borderlands 2, and CounterStrike: Global Offensive.

#4 OP bgjerlow

bgjerlow

Neowinian

Posted 01 April 2013 - 18:27

Cheers for the info guys. I'll give Tribes: Ascend and Planetside 2 a go. I already played Far Cry 3 and Battlefield 3 on the Xbox, and still own BF3 on there. Is there any more good free to play games available?

#5 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 01 April 2013 - 18:29

Weak CPU and weak graphics card. What kind of resolution are you expecting to be able to game at?

#6 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 April 2013 - 18:35

Cheers for the info guys. I'll give Tribes: Ascend and Planetside 2 a go. I already played Far Cry 3 and Battlefield 3 on the Xbox, and still own BF3 on there. Is there any more good free to play games available?

Team Fortress 2 is always good for some rocket-jumping fun.

#7 OP bgjerlow

bgjerlow

Neowinian

Posted 01 April 2013 - 19:02

Weak CPU and weak graphics card. What kind of resolution are you expecting to be able to game at?

Honestly, I have absolutely no idea. I'm entirely new to the whole PC gaming scene. I don't have any plans to upgrade my CPU or my GPU for at least the next few months. Might upgrade it later this year. Also, how is a 2.6ghz quad-core AMD CPU weak?

#8 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 01 April 2013 - 19:05

Honestly, I have absolutely no idea. I'm entirely new to the whole PC gaming scene. I don't have any plans to upgrade my CPU or my GPU for at least the next few months. Might upgrade it later this year. Also, how is a 2.6ghz quad-core AMD CPU weak?

b/c AMDs, in general, lag behind in gaming compared to Intel's CPUs. Also, 2.6GHz is going to be a bottleneck if you were to buy a more powerful card.

speaking of, the 610 is a very, very basic model. You wont have much fun gaming on that thing.

I think just about everyone here would tell you to upgrade your CPU, RAM and GPU asap.

#9 Javik

Javik

Posted 01 April 2013 - 19:08

AMD's current range are hopelessly inefficient, you get around half the performance per thread handled. In gaming terms a recent generation Intel i3 would walk all over that CPU with half the amount of cores. They're not so bad for programming but that's not what you're using them for :)

#10 OP bgjerlow

bgjerlow

Neowinian

Posted 01 April 2013 - 19:08

b/c AMDs, in general, lag behind in gaming compared to Intel's CPUs. Also, 2.6GHz is going to be a bottleneck if you were to buy a more powerful card.

speaking of, the 610 is a very, very basic model. You wont have much fun gaming on that thing.

I think just about everyone here would tell you to upgrade your CPU, RAM and GPU asap.

Yeah, but I'd rather not spend the money on that, as I want to get the new Xbox when that comes out instead. For now, I'm just looking for some games that can be played on my current set-up :)

Have any of you played Blacklight: Retribution? Heard about that game, and it looks pretty good.

#11 Javik

Javik

Posted 01 April 2013 - 19:16

The i3-3220 is £2 more expensive than the CPU you have chosen and would be a far better gaming choice.

#12 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 01 April 2013 - 19:18

The GT 610 is a rebranded GT 520 so you can check out if it meets the recommended requirements for recent games here:
http://community.fut...ce+GT+520/games

Unfortunately you'll notice that it mostly... doesn't meet those requirements at all. The Athlon X4 620 is also a 4-year old CPU that wasn't particularly good in games even for its time. So, if you want decent performance you'll have to look at older games, or, among recent games, those that don't push the graphic envelope much.

If you're into First-Person Shooters I'd heartily recommend Team Fortress 2. :)

#13 Javik

Javik

Posted 01 April 2013 - 19:51

Left 4 Dead 2 is also a great deal of fun, both online and in SP mode!

#14 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 01 April 2013 - 20:09

Cue Javik and all the comments saying that AMD is bad when it's not. You can actually check my signature and I'm able to play games like Crysis 3 on medium settings @1080p (vsync disabled) no problem. I have no experience with the nvidia cards though.

#15 YounGMessiah

YounGMessiah

"individual magnets"

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 01 April 2013 - 20:15

I would suggest the Mass Effect Series on PC, I had a better experience than on console.
Bioshock 1 was fun
Assassins Creed 1
Fallout 3 and New Vegas
Deus Ex: HR
Portal
Dead Island
Bulletstorm
Starcraft II