Household Bulbs - Is LED Really Better?

I just don't like how a lot of LED lights list themselves as "warn white" and 2700K yet you read the documentation on them and the true light color is like 3400k or 3100k or even 3000k yet they market it as warm white, not a brighter bluer white

Got a model number for those GU10s? I need 4 for my kitchen still.

Maybe (based on the file name of the picture?) MV-8-50W-CRI90 :ermm:

I'll have a look when I get home.

all LED bulbs ive seen have very fast flickering,and if you're like me and notice these things, it will bug the hell out of you.

You must be looking at some old models or el-cheapo bulbs.... because Halo, Cree, Feit, Sylvania, Phillips, and Utilitec for example have used dedicated AC-DC drivers for a while now to run the LED's on consistent DC power instead of AC with it's 60 or 50 Hz flicker depending on your country... basically if a bulb is under $10 per bulb, it's probably direct driven with a voltage regulator and a rectifier which will cause the on-off pattern of AC.... when you start going over that line you start getting DC driver bulbs... high end recessed LED lighting has had dedicated DC drivers for ages now

heck you can even get LED Christmas lights (you know the ones that are notorious for flickering when driving or moving past them) now with DC drivers that eliminate the flicker completely... I know I put up extra money for nice warm glowing LED Christmas lights with DC drivers in line

You must be looking at some old models or el-cheapo bulbs.... because Halo, Cree, Feit, Sylvania, Phillips, and Utilitec for example have used dedicated AC-DC drivers for a while now to run the LED's on consistent DC power instead of AC with it's 60 or 50 Hz flicker depending on your country... basically if a bulb is under $10 per bulb, it's probably direct driven with a voltage regulator and a rectifier which will cause the on-off pattern of AC.... when you start going over that line you start getting DC driver bulbs... high end recessed LED lighting has had dedicated DC drivers for ages now

heck you can even get LED Christmas lights (you know the ones that are notorious for flickering when driving or moving past them) now with DC drivers that eliminate the flicker completely... I know I put up extra money for nice warm glowing LED Christmas lights with DC drivers in line

yep that's it, poor power supply. I don't personally use them, but everywhere ive seen them I immediately notice it.

The Phillips one I have doesn't flicker either unless it's just my eyes or something so i'll tend to agree with neufuse. :)

It's worse than that, some of the el-cheapo bulbs have mains electricity microns away from the metal chassis and it's mostly a matter of when the build will fail, not if. It's quite fighting how unsafe some of the LED bulbs are.

As you say, stick to the more expensive lamps. (Avoid ebay unless you know the seller).

Personally, I like the "COB" chip based bulbs (e.g. http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/B00BBFFKJO). They give some of the best light to watt ratios. Worth paying the extra for!

do florescent lightbulbs leak mercury from glass micro fissures. i have got too many problems with mercury in my life already. can the atomic wavelength be transverted to visible light and somehow weaken my bodies immunity to mercury. does woods glass in any way confuse my circadian rhythm by blocking out certain wavelengths of blue light? i dont use florescent apart from outside fixtures, and i dont buy them. led might be ok, i still use incandescent. not my fault i might be allergic to mercury florescent light(s).

and I love how people say LED bulbs are "cool" well no, their drivers make heat, if your bulb has a big heat sink on it, it probably has a driver that has a transformer that is making heat... the LED chip itself is cool, the rest of the bulb nope

and I love how people say LED bulbs are "cool" well no, their drivers make heat, if your bulb has a big heat sink on it, it probably has a driver that has a transformer that is making heat... the LED chip itself is cool, the rest of the bulb nope

Touch a 50W halogen reading spotlight with your bare Han, the a 6 watt LED and the tell me LEDs are hot :) yeah they're not cold, but they also won't burn, they'll give of 6W of heat. And if it's a LED lamp with the electronics and driver in the base away from the actual LED then it will be cool and have longer life.

It's also about radiated heat. Use a 50 W halogen as a reading light and your hands will get warm and sweaty, probably you head to as the light is probaby near it and hits it. A LED however only radiates light not heat

Touch a 50W halogen reading spotlight with your bare Han, the a 6 watt LED and the tell me LEDs are hot :) yeah they're not cold, but they also won't burn, they'll give of 6W of heat. And if it's a LED lamp with the electronics and driver in the base away from the actual LED then it will be cool and have longer life.

It's also about radiated heat. Use a 50 W halogen as a reading light and your hands will get warm and sweaty, probably you head to as the light is probaby near it and hits it. A LED however only radiates light not heat

I never said they would burn, I said they still get hot... and those aluminum heat sinks on them can get pretty hot even at 5-15 watts you wouldn't grab one by hand when the bulb is on... I know I've pulled out 75watt equivalent LED bulbs when they where just turned off and the heat sink was so hot you couldn't hold onto it... heck I've seen ceramic heaters (electronic component not an actual device) that get up to 450 degrees and only use 15 watts of power ;)

there has been some research that suggests LED lights cause permenant damage to parts of the eyes retina.

http://www.dailymail...-BLINDNESS.html

?Eyes are not designed to look directly at light ? they are designed to see with light,? S?nchez-Ramos said.

Typical Daily Mail scaremongering - Looking directly at light can damage sight = OMG LED LIGHTS WILL KILL YOUR CHILDREN!!! BRING BACK 100W INCANDESCENTS!!!

• Like 1

Typical Daily Mail scaremongering - Looking directly at light can damage sight = OMG LED LIGHTS WILL KILL YOUR CHILDREN!!! BRING BACK 100W INCANDESCENTS!!!

Or candles.

Got a model number for those GU10s? I need 4 for my kitchen still.

Maybe (based on the file name of the picture?) MV-8-50W-CRI90 :ermm:

7GU10, they're 2700k 7W jobs. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Dimmable-Master-GU10-equivalent/dp/B002TSS8QE/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt