HBO admits piracy is a "compliment" that doesn't hurt sales

While some companies are looking to end piracy across the entertainment industry, one major player doesn?t think it?s quite the crisis it?s often made out to be. HBO?s hit show Games of Thrones is the most-pirated TV show on the Internet with more than 4 million illegal downloads per episode, however the company?s programming president Michael Lombardo believes piracy is a ?compliment? to the show and has actually helped sales. In February, Game of Thrones season two was released to record-setting DVD sales, becoming the company?s biggest first-day home video release with sales of 241,000 units, an increase of 44% over season one, and sales of individual episodes reached 355,000, up 112% from season one.

Sauce:

http://bgr.com/2013/04/01/hbo-online-piracy-analysis-408449/?utm_source=related-sb&utm_medium=article

• Like 2

He's right. Most of the people downloading these episodes don't have access to HBO anyways,

Soon these companies will get smarter, and start allowing us to download/stream directly on their sites, this way they can monetize it in some way.

Cable/satellite is going out.

That's only gonna happen when the ISPs stop metering connections.

People are allowing them. If my ISP limited my connection i'd go with a different provider that offered more.

Many people don't have that option. It's either be limited, or have no internet at all.

People are allowing them. If my ISP limited my connection i'd go with a different provider that offered more.

Depending on your area / country this just isn't possible. Even in certain parts of the UK and USA there are regions where you only have a choice of one provider. If they limit your connection then you're screwed.

Depending on your area / country this just isn't possible. Even in certain parts of the UK and USA there are regions where you only have a choice of one provider. If they limit your connection then you're screwed.

We have a couple of main providers and the rest just use those companies backbone connections to resell their connection. I am lucky enough that the major cable provider has a few tiers that have no bandwidth cap which is good... but then again I live in Canada so we can't get HBO Go.

He's right. Most of the people downloading these episodes don't have access to HBO anyways,

Soon these companies will get smarter, and start allowing us to download/stream directly on their sites, this way they can monetize it in some way.

Wish that would happen. I hate having cable TV and only watching a few stations. Would be nice to stream online from the station itself and pay a smaller amount.

That's nice HBO, well it is so long as you don't try to sue my ass for "complementing" you. I "complemented" HBO on both seasons of Game of Thrones and pre-ordered the Blu-ray of each before I was done "complementing" them on each season. You see I'd love to pay HBO as episodes are released, but instead like many I get to "complement" now and pay later.

What? Nooooo. I just disconnected from the cable company in plans to move to the sattelite.

Already purchased a reciever. Only left to install a dish on the roof :(

Excellent news to know that I'm complimenting them :) Truth is I would never have bought it anyway and me promoting to other people that are prepared to buy the DVDs etc is definitely valuable to them!

That's only gonna happen when the ISPs stop metering connections.

Not if they do something akin to Netflix, with an ISP ranking chart.

http://blog.netflix..../ISP%20rankings

It's worth noting that HBO needs to hurry up and get on the bandwagon. Netflix's goal is to become HBO before HBO can become them, after all. And of course, let's not forget about Hulu.

I maybe would even watch it on TV IF YOU SHOWED IT HERE!

God damn. HBO is like every other god damn cable channel out there. For example it's Supernatural Season 8 already but over here they just finished Season 1...Right, only 7 seasons behind, I'll keep complimenting those channels until they get their s*** together.

I think there is a problem with the idea to pay per episode.

Lets say all companies will go this way and i follow 10 different shows. Lets say a show will cost me $1 (which i think is very low). So each week i will have to pay $10 and that's $40 a month. From looking online i can see that getting a digital TV in the US will cost you just a bit more than that and you get a lot more from it.

I donno, maybe i'm wrong and following 10 shows is a lot for a person (for me actually it's a lot less than i'm actually following, i'm a TV junky :)) or maybe $1 is high and companies will take less (which i dont believe the will because it's low as it is) but charging per episode just doesnt seem like a good option for me.