Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Haggis

Linux is beginning to annoy me

96 posts in this topic

Topic title could cover a broad scope but here goes

Certain things are bothering me that makes me consider leaving the 100% linux and going back partly if not completely to windows

Cons for Linux

  • Flash is atrocious on linux and maxes out my CPU
  • Checking hardware will work before buying
  • Finding other hardware that will work when your first choice wont or is not know if it will
  • stupid little niggles like when i plug my ethernet cable in it disables my wireless and i have to reboot to get it back

Pros for linux

  • Very little malware/viruses
  • Can be altered and changed to suit
  • all the crap can be removed

Cons for Windows

  • Honestly i cant think of any (maybe you could help me)

Pro for Windows

  • Everything works out the box
  • there's drivers for everything
  • vast support all over the place (books,web,neighbour)

It starting to annoy me that if something goes wrong i have to go searching online to find what the problem is, then **** about in a CLI to fix it

In Windows usually there will be a fix or someone has created a program to fix it for me

Maybe i am just in a bit of a rut here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

cons for windows:

- costs A LOT of money

- viruses/spyware/trojans....

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Linux is junk. I was the one of the biggest Linux fanboys a long time ago,because I wanted this image like im some hardcore pc user that uses something completely different to what 'dumb consumers" use, but then I realized theres a reason windows sells. It just ****in works. No more corrupted file system when my computer freezes and I power it off and back on,having to do a reinstall of the OS. I can run all software. Everything doesn't require hunting down dependencies and compiling software. Driver support.

The best advice I can give you is to dump this thing. Its a headache,you're not impressing anyone,and there will never be great 3rd party support.

7 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cost is a factor but then again your time is worth money; so in essense you're losing money by spending all that extra time trying to get Linux to work.

6 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cost is a factor but then again your time is worth money; so in essense you're losing money by spending all that extra time trying to get Linux to work.

and again, this is a non-issue. if you are not a console hating hardcore gamer who loves to throw money out of the window anyway, then there is no reason not to use linux. ubuntu, fedora, opensuse... they all work out of the box and you can do everything you can do with windows, most things even better/faster. i dont blame you if you cant get arch to work, but there are very simple and easy distros out there. (my canon lide20/30 scanner works on linux but not on windows 7 anymore because they refuse to still support it driver wise - imagine that!!!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn?t running and making/finding some of the fixes in Linux half the fun/pain.

I?m by no means a power user in the Linux community, but do enjoy the freedom it gives me allowing me to tinker with things as I please, and if I do break it, it?s not that difficult to get it back up and running again.

I do hear what you?re saying about the convenience of Windows, but it does come with its own set of issues, can just clicking a wizard to install something can get a bit boring after a while.

Maybe dual-booting would suit your needs more, allowing you jump back and forth without the hassle or pain of re-installing everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

never had any issues with linux.. it seems like you are using arch linux or gentoo and didnt configurated it correctly lol im kidding, but.. unless you have a very very specific piece of hardware, it shouldnt be a problem with linux :s

windows atm for me is for gaming and .net programming (and i do program .net in linux as well)

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Additional cons for windows:

> The CLI is pretty terrible

> No out of the box package management.

Additional pros for windows:

> Much more software available.

> Looks nice out the box (Most distros require tweaking to get them looking good in my experience)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's kind of where I was when I was running a Linux desktop primarily a couple years back. (I still have multiple machines running it, but in a server role, preferring Windows for my desktop.) It mostly boiled down to which one did everything I needed it to do with the least amount of hassle. In Linux I frequently found myself missing things that I could do with Windows, In Windows, I've not come across something I missed from Linux. For me, an easy choice.

I more or less agree with your pros and cons, although I can add a few minor (for me) cons for Windows.

Visuals - Ok, it's pretty minor, and there are user made themes and such, just nowhere near as easy to do, requires a resource editor and such.

Desktop addons/extensions/etc - Not so much Microsoft's fault, but there's a lot less activity in this area. They do exist, but a lot of it isn't on the level as Linux, especially when it comes to an alternate shell. Totally doable, nobody cares apparently.

My personal con for Linux -- the desktop experience is going downhill. Some of them are actually more inconvenient than the minor gripes I have with Windows 8. (GNOME 3 takes the top of my WTF list here.)

Biggest pro for Windows though, the "it just works" factor and has an absurd amount of quality software available for it, that's huge. No fooling around, no workarounds, ugly hacks, emulation, compatibility layers, etc. Install it and forget it. Since XP has disappeared the reliability has went through the roof as well, I haven't seen Windows take a nosedive in years. The occasional program, sure, but the OS itself, no.

- costs A LOT of money

- viruses/spyware/trojans....

Personally not worried about the cost myself, a fee for having something that just works with everything out of the box is worth it for me. The malware, well, 99% of the time that's the user's fault. They don't just magically appear out of thin air.

Additional cons for windows:

> The CLI is pretty terrible

> No out of the box package management.

Pro - CLI can be replaced with a large number of alternatives. Even Bash.

Con - Yea, can agree with that, package management was rather convenient.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've used it many times in the past. The real reason to me that it never made it into mainstream (except embedded devices and Android) is User Experience. Windows (even with Metro) is still easier to use. Time is money as posted above.

Lastly, I wouldn't want to support my father using it. I'd tell him to just get Windows or a Mac. Whatever makes his life easy.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Topic title could cover a broad scope but here goes

Certain things are bothering me that makes me consider leaving the 100% linux and going back partly if not completely to windows

Cons for Linux

  • Flash is atrocious on linux and maxes out my CPU
  • Checking hardware will work before buying
  • Finding other hardware that will work when your first choice wont or is not know if it will
  • stupid little niggles like when i plug my ethernet cable in it disables my wireless and i have to reboot to get it back

Pros for linux

  • Very little malware/viruses
  • Can be altered and changed to suit
  • all the crap can be removed

Cons for Windows

  • Honestly i cant think of any (maybe you could help me)

Pro for Windows

  • Everything works out the box
  • there's drivers for everything
  • vast support all over the place (books,web,neighbour)

It starting to annoy me that if something goes wrong i have to go searching online to find what the problem is, then **** about in a CLI to fix it

In Windows usually there will be a fix or someone has created a program to fix it for me

Maybe i am just in a bit of a rut here

Con for windows: Absolutely atrocious touchpad support. windows barely even supports touchpads out of the box, and relies completely on 3rd party drivers for it which are always crap. Things like 1/2/3 finger tap for actions like middle click and right click required me to use stupid registry hacks and workarounds. The scrolling is awful/buggy and requires to to click a window before it lets you scroll it (in linux whatever is under the cursor scrolls regardless of whether or not it if focused) Two finger scroll is unbearably bad on any touchpad I've used with windows. This is what initially pushed me to use linux fulltime on my laptop. After using linux and OSX I can no longer stand using windows on a laptop. All the touchpad functions on all my laptops work great out of the box in linux.

On my asus laptop there was also another thing that really annoyed me. The mutlimedia keys didn't work at all until you installed a ****-tastic asus driver that did ridiculous things like hardcoding the play/pause button to open windows media center. in linux they all just work out of the box. Sure windows has 'drivers for everything', but often they are really bad drivers.

I don't mind using windows at all on my desktop computer, in fact I quite like it; but man I hate it on a laptop. I did go through a period where like the OP I got annoyed with certain linux shortcomings. This led me to re-install windows on my laptop. I was back on linux within a week xD

/rant

I haven't had any issues with flash on linux myself on either of my laptops (both have intel processors and intel graphics). And I haven't had any weird hardware bugs since getting a laptop that actually supports linux (system76) :). My old laptop did have annoying issues like suspend/resume not working out of the box, requiring making a script to workaround it. The system76 laptop works totally out of the box in all modern distros I've tried.

I've used it many times in the past. The real reason to me that it never made it into mainstream (except embedded devices and Android) is User Experience. Windows (even with Metro) is still easier to use. Time is money as posted above.

Lastly, I wouldn't want to support my father using it. I'd tell him to just get Windows or a Mac. Whatever makes his life easy.

My dad actually uses linux on my old laptop (I gave it to him when his old one died and was too lazy to install windows on it). its running debian with kde and he's had no problems, he just does web browsing, watching videos and such on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't find Flash to be such a bother. Guess it depends on what browser you use. Never had a problem with FireFox.

Yes, hardware support is a little iffy, but IMO, most, not all, of it works out of the box for me. I have everything working on Ubuntu. My Dad has Mint 14 on his computer, and he always found workarounds. For his printer/scanner for example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn?t running and making/finding some of the fixes in Linux half the fun/pain.

I?m by no means a power user in the Linux community, but do enjoy the freedom it gives me allowing me to tinker with things as I please, and if I do break it, it?s not that difficult to get it back up and running again.

I do hear what you?re saying about the convenience of Windows, but it does come with its own set of issues, can just clicking a wizard to install something can get a bit boring after a while.

Maybe dual-booting would suit your needs more, allowing you jump back and forth without the hassle or pain of re-installing everything.

I am dual booting just now and am predominantly still using Linux but after more than a year now of 100% linux i am finding more reason to log into windows lol

Additional cons for windows:

> The CLI is pretty terrible

> No out of the box package management.

Additional pros for windows:

> Much more software available.

> Looks nice out the box (Most distros require tweaking to get them looking good in my experience)

CLI is only used in Windows for directory stuff in my own situation lol

yeah package management is good in linux and i liek the fact of just doing "yum install blah" and it being installed automatically for me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Additional cons for windows:

> The CLI is pretty terrible

> No out of the box package management.

Additional pros for windows:

> Much more software available.

> Looks nice out the box (Most distros require tweaking to get them looking good in my experience)

I hated all of the window managers so much I just stopped using them. I just launch graphic clients with xinit from the command line now. :)

Linux is great if you have time to piddle with it.

Happy birthday, ViperAFK!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Linux is junk. I was the one of the biggest Linux fanboys a long time ago,because I wanted this image like im some hardcore pc user that uses something completely different to what 'dumb consumers" use,

I disagree totally in the sense that linux is junk, Linux is great at what it does and when you take it on you know what your getting into

I used it because at the time i did not have a valid window license so was the easy way out of going out and buying it....not because i thought i was leet lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never been a fan of Linux on PC's - it just never worked for me. Sure, it's free, but the time I have to get it work properly with my hardware is a PITA, and not worth my time. Plus, I'm not limited to software availability - Windows ecosystem of apps just can't be beat.

Not bashing Linux - it just doesn't fit my needs. If it fits your needs, great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pro - CLI can be replaced with a large number of alternatives. Even Bash.

Con - Yea, can agree with that, package management was rather convenient.

True, although even with bash I've never been able to find a decent command line app on windows that supports such features as resizing the darn window sideways >.<

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

True, although even with bash I've never been able to find a decent command line app on windows that supports such features as resizing the darn window sideways >.<

You mean to run a Windows GUI app? "START /max|min <app>"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

True, although even with bash I've never been able to find a decent command line app on windows that supports such features as resizing the darn window sideways >.<

Powershell.

Also Cygwin gives the POSIX/BASH possibilities of Linux within MSDOS or Powershell even.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

cons for windows:

- costs A LOT of money

- viruses/spyware/trojans....

It's ?44 here. Retail. Not expensive!

And comes with software to fight viruses/spyware/trojans....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You mean to run a Windows GUI app? "START /max|min <app>"

Right click the CMD titlebar, select properties, layout tab. Width

Adjust that and you can widen the CMD window with ease.

It's ?44 here. Retail. Not expensive!

And comes with software to fight viruses/spyware/trojans....

But Linux is free(if your time is worthless), so its infinitely cheaper!!

And Linux has no viruses/spyware/Trojans... Linux servers haven't been abused en masse by Anonymous the last couple of years cause FOSS can not contain any zero days

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

and again, this is a non-issue. if you are not a console hating hardcore gamer who loves to throw money out of the window anyway, then there is no reason not to use linux. ubuntu, fedora, opensuse... they all work out of the box and you can do everything you can do with windows, most things even better/faster. i dont blame you if you cant get arch to work, but there are very simple and easy distros out there. (my canon lide20/30 scanner works on linux but not on windows 7 anymore because they refuse to still support it driver wise - imagine that!!!)

Those are opinons because if they were facts then Linux would be in the place where Windows is now.

Who refuses to support the scanner? I assume you're referring to Canon as Windows can't force Canon to makes drivers for it's devices. But I own a LiDE 20 and use it on my Windows 7 machine; those drivers can be aquired here: http://www.usa.canon...versAndSoftware

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who really cares? Just use what you want, when you want, how you want for your needs. You can switch as you want, and use both at the same time. Loyalty does not exist for virtual alliances my comrade!

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Flash is atrocious on linux and maxes out my CPU
  • Checking hardware will work before buying
  • Finding other hardware that will work when your first choice wont or is not know if it will
  • stupid little niggles like when i plug my ethernet cable in it disables my wireless and i have to reboot to get it back

Flash is a non issue for me. The only time I've ever checked hardware compatibility was when buying a USB wifi dongle. Most everything works OOTB these days. About your ethernet thing, you shouldn't have to reboot to get it back. When I have trouble, I click on the nm-applet and disable networking then re-enable and it usually works.
Linux is junk. I was the one of the biggest Linux fanboys a long time ago,because I wanted this image like im some hardcore pc user that uses something completely different to what 'dumb consumers" use, but then I realized theres a reason windows sells. It just ****in works. No more corrupted file system when my computer freezes and I power it off and back on,having to do a reinstall of the OS. I can run all software. Everything doesn't require hunting down dependencies and compiling software. Driver support.

The best advice I can give you is to dump this thing. Its a headache,you're not impressing anyone,and there will never be great 3rd party support.

Your reasoning for first using Linux is pretty sad and then the rest of what you said is pretty childish and ignorant. Even driver support is becoming a nonissue. I've bought 2 HP printers and both were supported with official HP drivers from HPLIP

Looks like another baseless flamewar thread. I recommend a mod closes this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if you have to check the hardware before buying ...you are doing it very wrong...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.