Linux is beginning to annoy me

and again, this is a non-issue. if you are not a console hating hardcore gamer who loves to throw money out of the window anyway, then there is no reason not to use linux. ubuntu, fedora, opensuse... they all work out of the box and you can do everything you can do with windows, most things even better/faster. i dont blame you if you cant get arch to work, but there are very simple and easy distros out there. (my canon lide20/30 scanner works on linux but not on windows 7 anymore because they refuse to still support it driver wise - imagine that!!!)

So basically what you say is

"If you don't want your computer to be easy to use and don't set a value on your spare time linux is better" because that's what I read there.

I like how you simply claim it can do most things even faster or better without naming anything or giving any examples. It can render my 3DSMAX scenes faster ? it makes my 3D modelling easier ? better ? photoshop is easier and better on it ? faster ? it checks mails and browser the web faster ?

sorry it does a lot of stuff about the same as windows and a lot of stuff worse, but very little better.

Also, if you still have issues with trojans or viruses on your windows,maybe you should upgrade form XP. But hey lets not pretend Linux wouldn't have all the trojans and viruses if it had 90% market share. and don't claim that marketshare has nothing to do with it and Linux would still be virus free at 90% android already proved that claim false and that linux is vulnerable to malware and viruses as well when it has enough marketshare to be a valid target.

• Like 2

I've never had any problems with hardware on linux, windows and mac though, YEAH!

Intel wireless - intel provide 32 bit windows drivers, no 64 bit windows support at all, no support for mac at all, linux has drivers for 32 bit and 64 bit!

Mac and webcams - just don't even go there. There's macam, I've tried it with a bunch of webcams that it lists as being supported; they don't work, plus the quicktime thing still shows as 'no camera connected' in any app.

Switch from SATA IDE -> AHCI, windows will need a full reinstall (or the registry hack _IF_ it works), linux boots up fine.

One annoying thing is that my motherboard has an 'EPU' system to save power, i.e. run the CPU slower, etc. but it's windows only, though cpupowerd does allow the CPU to run slower it doesn't change anything else.

Flash video runs fine on linux for me on this PC, it runs a bit laggy and bugged on an old dell with a 2.53GHz celeron and integrated intel graphics.

For me the big problems with linux is **** like ubuntu. Don't get me wrong, ubuntu is great for the average joe but them doing things like unity and mir just alienates the hell out of people. I've never liked conical as a company and think they're scum.

And at the end of the day, server wise, I really couldn't give a toss what anyone says - linux servers outperform windows servers, maybe even *BSD servers too, no-one uses mac on a server because it's junk (the apple app store page for 'mac server' is hilarous, every single comment about it is a complaint saying it doesn't work).

And there's a sense of community with linux. Take arch for example, if you need help/support you can get it on their forums. Heck, even vote on things like replacing initd with systemd and despite everyone getting ignored and the guy pushing ahead with a buggy release anyway, you can still have your say :p. Take windows for example, the start menu argument got boring a long time ago but you can't just phone up MS and ask about it or request they put it back.

For me the big problems with linux is **** like ubuntu.

:'( I just like it because it looks nice ;( I use ubuntu servers (no GUI obviously) and ubuntu 12.10 desktop for my laptop ;( whats wrong with it ;( i use it for programming ive never even looked into what "unity" is xD im guessing its something to do with the gui? i dunno

and again, this is a non-issue. if you are not a console hating hardcore gamer who loves to throw money out of the window anyway, then there is no reason not to use linux. ubuntu, fedora, opensuse... they all work out of the box and you can do everything you can do with windows, most things even better/faster. i dont blame you if you cant get arch to work, but there are very simple and easy distros out there. (my canon lide20/30 scanner works on linux but not on windows 7 anymore because they refuse to still support it driver wise - imagine that!!!)

What is amazing to me is that your scanner still works! I have the worst luck with scanners and printers...

I am an OS hobbyist so really, I like all Operating Systems. What I like about linux is the environment in general, the console, the layout. I remember when I first learned the basics of unix system management in the late 80's/early 90's I thought it was weird, coming from VMS, but it grew on me.

Really, my favorite 2 operating systems are VMS and BeOS. The rest follow in a close tie for runner up. But I enjoyed OS/2 Warp, Amiga OS/workbench, mac os, mac os x, the various flavors of windows, BSD's and linux. They are all cool to me.

• Like 3

I found myself in the same position, OP. Linux is interesting, stimulating, generally good and "fun". I enjoy using it, but eventually I will always come back to Windows. I don't need to mess around with config files or enter esoteric commands into a command window - things just work. Linux, for me, is a cornucopia of tiny frustrations which eventually build-up into a rage-quit-reboot because I know I can get the job done quickly and simply in Windows. And there I stay.

I use both, a fair amount. The servers run gui/gui-less suse and I have mint going pretty often right now. I have to say I like the 'idea' of Linux for a desktop, but I still find myself more productive in a Windows environment.

I do the majority of my programming on Windows and I have way less headaches trying to get Windows to do what I want. I'm not an expert on OS' but I do my fair share on both and I prefer Windows (7) for almost everything.

FYI your scanner works perfectly fine on Windows 7 (and Windows 8), if for what ever reason you have problems its a very simple fix: http://www.geckoandf...ndows-7-64-bit/

Most of the "pros" for Linux you can get in OSX. It just costs more. Assuming you're not going to go with OSX, then the only real advantage of Linux over Windows is the cost, which over the life of the hardware, isn't really a big expense.

I've used (and still use) all three. The reality is that if you're a developer of some sort, you're going to probably run OSX or Windows just for compatibility / testing reasons. If you're a general user, you're going to run OSX or Windows because they're easier to set up. Linux continues to be the base for a lot of great specialized OSs and embedded systems, but it's never going to be the market-share winner.

Flash is a non issue for me. The only time I've ever checked hardware compatibility was when buying a USB wifi dongle. Most everything works OOTB these days. About your ethernet thing, you shouldn't have to reboot to get it back. When I have trouble, I click on the nm-applet and disable networking then re-enable and it usually works.

Your reasoning for first using Linux is pretty sad and then the rest of what you said is pretty childish and ignorant. Even driver support is becoming a nonissue. I've bought 2 HP printers and both were supported with official HP drivers from HPLIP

Looks like another baseless flamewar thread. I recommend a mod closes this.

yep, my hp officejet works great in linux out of the box (both the printer and scanner) :)

As an aside to some of the posts I've seen in this thread: its a bit ridiculous when people get 'angry' at linux for not working flawlessly on all hardware. When you think about it, its very impressive just how much hardware linux does support, especially considering hardware manufacturers are not always cooperative. You can't necessarily expect linux to work perfectly on your existing windows computer. I have a system76 laptop that is designed with ubuntu in mind and it works great in every distro I've used, in fedora 18 and arch everything works with the 3.8 kernel out of the box, graphics, wired/wireless, smart card reader, all of the keyboard function keys, all of the ports and such. On my older asus laptop most things work, with a few things that require workarounds, which is par for the course for hardware that isn't guaranteed to be perfectly linux compatible... Linux is free and the developers work very hard to ensure that as much hardware as possible works, the way I see it its not that big a deal if you have to occasionally do a few workarounds. If you want all of your hardware to work perfectly then you should either just use windows or a get a machine that actually supports linux.

seems like somebody just tried bad build and have wrong ideas how all works ..

Nah, don't know Haggis personally but seen him around here long enough to know he's not a first timer with Linux.

Who really cares? Just use what you want, when you want, how you want for your needs. You can switch as you want, and use both at the same time. Loyalty does not exist for virtual alliances my comrade!

+1 to this.. people worry wayyyyy too much about the inane this-vs-that argument, seen some really insipid comments in general (and many times not even true) on both sides of this. Pick whatever works and stick with it, you're the one stuck with it, not the rest of the world.

:'( I just like it because it looks nice ;( I use ubuntu servers (no GUI obviously) and ubuntu 12.10 desktop for my laptop ;( whats wrong with it ;( i use it for programming ive never even looked into what "unity" is xD im guessing its something to do with the gui? i dunno

If I'm just using it as a server I prefer going straight back to Debian. And yes, Unity is Ubuntu's (current) GUI.

FYI your scanner works perfectly fine on Windows 7 (and Windows 8), if for what ever reason you have problems its a very simple fix: http://www.geckoandf...ndows-7-64-bit/

One of the problem I faced what the incompatibility of my Canon LIDE Scanner driver with Windows 7 64 bit, for some unknown reasons, the CanoScan LiDE 25, 30, 35, 60, 70, 90, 100, 200 driver in Canon?s official website does not work.

that was the problem i last time tried (few years back) it was something with win 7 not offering the twain driver/support anymore and therefore the official drivers didn't work.

one of the reasons to use windows is according to the people here is that it "just works". well, it doesn't with the canon scanner. got no problem with linux however, there it really "just works".

Most of the "pros" for Linux you can get in OSX. It just costs more. Assuming you're not going to go with OSX, then the only real advantage of Linux over Windows is the cost, which over the life of the hardware, isn't really a big expense.

Not really. Linux has a huge set of drivers, mac doesn't. Loads of server software is optimised for linux like nginx, it isn't optimised for mac. Mac can't read/write to any of the linux filesystems.

There isn't really much of a comparison between mac and linux other than one is unix and the other one's idea came from unix.

I don't use Linux full time, mainly just for web server and such in VM's.

It starting to annoy me that if something goes wrong i have to go searching online to find what the problem is, then **** about in a CLI to fix it

I see this as a bonus, sure it can be annoying and frustrating but it forces you to learn, i would say anyone who is interested in working with computers should use Linux, at least part time.

One of the most annoying issue with most Linux distro is the total inability to use the middle mouse button like on Windows or even configure the middle button scroll speed. This is obviously due to the nonsensical X Server which is way too obsolete. Fragmentation is another issue, all those DEs makes things confusing for someone new to the Linux world. It's apparently a common practice to fragment the whole ecosystem with countless forks instead of working together for a single standard. Don't get me started with Ubuntu and Mir..

And why do such things have to be so complicated on Linux? On Windows you just have to click on a setup file, sit tight and everything is done perfectly without even having to mess up with terminal windows or buried config files etc.. Why can't there be a simple user friendly GUI for Linux software installers (not .deb) instead of those tar.gz nonsense?

For me, I prefer to use Linux for specific, not-average tasks/purposes. By this, I mean such as a server, or a router.

The everyday, desktop GUI and user experience is not polished or superior enough on Linux as it is with Windows, but I guess you get what you pay for.

I don't have the time, or the patience to tinker around getting my main desktop computer working, so I go with the easy route of using Windows. I want to be able to quickly open a web browser and watch a YouTube video, or open Skype and start chatting to someone. Something that's widely recognised and the standard.

I'm happy to spend some time configuring Linux, because I can install a few packages, configure some things, and then leave it to itself. Only occasional SSHing into it. It's a stable and powerful beast when using it for specific purposes where you can set and forget about it. A little computer running in some cupboard, serving files, or a little computer on a shelf acting as a wireless router. That's as far as I go with Linux.

Although you're probably thinking, "well if you can do these advanced tasks such as setting up a server, then why can't you spend some time setting up a usable desktop experience?", but really, I don't think it would be as good as Windows... well, not yet anyway.

I think Linux has came a long way though, and all the contributions made to it are wonderful. I was quite impressed when I recently tried Ubuntu again. I quickly ran it on the computer I was going to use as a wireless router, and it managed to detect all my hardware, including a recent wireless card. Out of the box, ready to go. But I still don't think it's mature enough yet.

Windows isn't perfect though, as you still have to find drivers for some hardware, and it can also have its little quirks and tantrums out of the blue, but it's all very manageable.

Linux isn't beginning to annoy me, it's beginning to impress me, slowly, but surely.

One of the most annoying issue with most Linux distro is the total inability to use the middle mouse button like on Windows or even configure the middle button scroll speed. This is obviously due to the nonsensical X Server which is way too obsolete. Fragmentation is another issue, all those DEs makes things confusing for someone new to the Linux world. It's apparently a common practice to fragment the whole ecosystem with countless forks instead of working together for a single standard. Don't get me started with Ubuntu and Mir..

And why do such things have to be so complicated on Linux? On Windows you just have to click on a setup file, sit tight and everything is done perfectly without even having to mess up with terminal windows or buried config files etc.. Why can't there be a simple user friendly GUI for Linux software installers (not .deb) instead of those tar.gz nonsense?

There is easy automatic installers in linux. You know what happens when you double click a .deb file in ubuntu? It automatically installs it. You do not have to mess with tar.gz files and compiling unless you transport yourself back in time and use a linux distro from 10 years ago... You can easily install/remove software with the graphical package manager, and if you do find a .deb (or .rpm if you use a distro like fedora or suse) that you download from a web browser you can simply double click it. In some ways a package manager can be even easier than installing software than in windows, and is certainly easier to keep all applications up to date since they are all updated with the package manager.

I've also never had issues with middle click in linux. if anything for me its been quite the opposite, as I ranted earlier. in windows on any touchpad I've used 2 or 3 finger tap to middle and right click doesn't work, but works great out of the box in linux distros. Not sure about the mouse wheel scroll speed, I've never tried to configure that. Maybe middle click not working in linux is an issue with your specific mouse?

and again, this is a non-issue. if you are not a console hating hardcore gamer who loves to throw money out of the window anyway, then there is no reason not to use linux. ubuntu, fedora, opensuse... they all work out of the box and you can do everything you can do with windows, most things even better/faster.

Two real world simple examples where your claim wasn't true:

Friend of mine bought a new NAS last week. It was literally plug and play on both OS X and Windows. With Ubuntu 12.10 on the other hand we couldn't get it to work no matter what we did. Everything online pointed us to Terminal to fix the issue. In the end we got it to work, but it took a while and it was in no way straightforward.

With native office software available to Linux there's absolutely no possibility to recreate the presentations I make with Apple Keynote. Not because I don't know how the software works, simply because the necessary functionality isn't there. With PowerPoint I can at least get very close.

One of the most annoying issue with most Linux distro is the total inability to use the middle mouse button like on Windows or even configure the middle button scroll speed.

Mm forgot all about this one.. my main system uses a RAT 9 mouse (seen this with a small handfull other 3+ button mice), every time I do a new install of whatever distro I have to manually edit the xorg.conf file and adjust the button settings or risk "losing control" of the whatever desktop is running. Accidentally hit one of the side buttons or the precision adjust button and the GUI will totally ignore any further button clicks, a tad inconvenient. It's fine once that's done but it's a big nuisance.. I expect it now but the first time, yikes big WTF moment there.

On the plus side.. Linux supports my old (OLD) BT878 cable TV tuner board under x64... never had a driver made for Windows x64, x86 only, haven't used it in a few years.

Two real world simple examples where your claim wasn't true:

Friend of mine bought a new NAS last week. It was literally plug and play on both OS X and Windows. With Ubuntu 12.10 on the other hand we couldn't get it to work no matter what we did. Everything online pointed us to Terminal to fix the issue. In the end we got it to work, but it took a while and it was in no way straightforward.

With native office software available to Linux there's absolutely no possibility to recreate the presentations I make with Apple Keynote. Not because I don't know how the software works, simply because the necessary functionality isn't there. With PowerPoint I can at least get very close.

And there are some NAS devices that work fine out of the box, not all hardware manufacturers are linux friendly. Just like there are some hardware/software that works in windows, but not OSX. windows is pretty much the only os with "ubiquitous" hardware manufacturer support. Hardware compatibility issues with linux can be avoided by doing a little research beforehand.

I thought I had it with Linux too until I retried CrunchBang. I was just playing a youtube video a few seconds ago using 30% of my CPU and 512 megs of my ram. I'm really loving it! The only bad thing is you have to edit your menu every time you install something new and mess with config files. It's not "hard" it just gets to be a pain in the keester sometimes.

You have to remember flash isn't Linux's fault. Blame Adobe for that.