Microsoft Exchange Server 2013.....What is it..

the only reason i can think that a support rep would need exchange would be to change passwords and setup new accounts, or something. Our support guys where I work will change quota's and passwords and things. But we just use Exchange 2010 they probably wont upgrade to 2013 for a few years.

yes, most desktop roles you won't need to know ends and outs of servers.. However, it will make you a more skilled Desktop tech in a corporate environment. It will help you troubleshoot, detail the issue better to the server team, and help you resolve more issues yourself. I can't stand IT workers that just throw their hands up saying "oh, this is a server issue, better hand it off", without even troubleshooting.. Not saying you are that guy.. but all work with one lol

Trust me a I've seen a lot of people like that too. I want to be useful to a lot of people. Since I'm familiar with Macs, a lot of people go to me whenever something goes wrong. I want to be more open to learning new technical skills.

the only reason i can think that a support rep would need exchange would be to change passwords and setup new accounts, or something. Our support guys where I work will change quota's and passwords and things. But we just use Exchange 2010 they probably wont upgrade to 2013 for a few years.

You might be right...That is probably why they ask if you're familiar with exchange.

Server 2012 is the server side software OS. Active directory, DNS, DHCP, UAG etc plus many more roles and features it has included. You simply install what you want from the server manager console.

As for exchange 2013- its a email system. You send email to a particular domain (that is pre-configured on exchange) and it will take it in and send it to the user with that email address.

Exchange 2013 takes much more effort to install that 2010. I've been trying to get it to work for the last few weeks in a test lab and i've been setting up/managing/supporting migrations for last 4 years. So for a new "IT person" to jump in deep is a very steep learning curve. Exchange isnt difficult- its just grasping what does what etc.

Exchange 2013 now has 2 main roles: Client Access (aka CAS, OWA) and Mailbox (aka mailbox, hub transport)

Tied into the above roles you also have the UC role (integration for phone system like MS Lync) and a few more that existed in 2010.

2010 had a EMC console to manage exchange, 2013 is now all web based.

I told you I'm new to this all LOL

Okay I will take your advice! hopefully I still have a copy of Server 2008. I'm doing all of this through VMware.. would that be a problem?

no not at all and with you can get a 120day trial of server 2012 dont know if they still have 2008. best to do it though virtual! GL

Exchange 2013 takes much more effort to install that 2010. I've been trying to get it to work for the last few weeks in a test lab and i've been setting up/managing/supporting migrations for last 4 years. So for a new "IT person" to jump in deep is a very steep learning curve. Exchange isnt difficult- its just grasping what does what etc.

Why is it more effort than 2010?

[/size]

Why is it more effort than 2010?

there's much more prep work you have to do on AD, pre-requisuites etc before you actually install. If it isnt in correct order then install will fail. And the install process is very long winded. I'm currently doing a migration form 2010 to 2013 and had to wait till yesterday for MS to release cumulative update 1 for 2013 before I could continue.

Good news is that it is very intuitive. I don't think a lot of people know exchange 2013 as it is 6 months old. They might advertise desktop support but your duties might include troubleshooting mailbox/outlook issues but highly unlikely. I would state in the interview that I have never supported exchange before as it is not desktop software.

Do you do anything with exchange other than setup a user? If you do then you should know that it is not intuitive, even the setup is not intuitive (setup is not initial install).

Try setting up an exchange cluster, nope not intuitive. Try exporting pst out of exchange, not intuitive. What is a journal account, why is it needed and why would you set one up? Ever have to run a db repair, not intuitive either. Nothing about the administration of exchange is easy and intuitive. But setting up users, sure that is pretty intuitive.

As stated exchange is a mail database install. You understand what gmail and yahoo mail is, right. Well you have the GUI which talks to the backend mail server. Exchange is the backend mail server program that runs in many Microsoft based organizations. Hospitals, banks and many other organizations run exchange as their internal mail server. Having an internal mail server gives the company more control and they can give access to mailboxes to anyone else in the organization as well as have backups even after someone has deleted the mail.

The installer does everything for you? You don't have to follow those hardcore admins who want to do it via powershell first.

There are things that you have to do prior to installing exchange. The installer does not install the iis component, that is one of the prerequisites that you do prior. Another prerequisite is to do a adprep and forrestprep on your ad server that the exchange installer does not do. If you go to install exchange without doing these things, the install will fail. None of these are needed to be done in the powershell, they are either GUI or command prompt.