Photo

Microsoft Exchange Server 2013.....What is it..

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16 OP freak180

freak180

Mr. GreatDisaster

• 2,186 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 20:08

IT isn't the correct line of work for you.

Seriously why do you have to be an ass about it? I've done more work with hardware and troubleshooting issues with Windows xp, vista, and 7. Never did any work with servers! So your comment was unnecessary!

#17 Co-ords

Co-ords

Neowinian faithful one

• 714 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 20:11

Exchange is... a cash-cow for Microsoft, just like the rest of their products designed for corporate use. Sell the software relatively cheap, & milk them dry with the client access licenses. Bill & the boys obviously need more money ;-)

#18 PhilUK

PhilUK

Neowinian

• 21 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 20:16

Seriously why do you have to be an ass about it? I've done more work with hardware and troubleshooting issues with Windows xp, vista, and 7. Never did any work with servers! So your comment was unnecessary!

He's got a point, one of the main requirements in IT infrastructure is to self-learn as much as possible (Google is your friend!) before asking others. Questions like 'what is Exchange' and 'why won't it install on a client o/s' can easily be researched online. I suggest taking some MCP exams in Windows 8 & Server 2012, that will help towards gaining a job in a 1st or 2nd line support role. Also take time to understand how Active Directory works, as this is the backbone to every enterprise Windows domain.

Phil

#19 OP freak180

freak180

Mr. GreatDisaster

• 2,186 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 20:34

I understand and believe me I did google what it was about. But I have difficulties learning so I tend to ask a lot of questions and I don't retain so well either :( I really dont have any money to take the exams. I'll look up some pdfs on AD. Thanks!

#20 episode

episode

Neowinian Fanatic

• 6,755 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 20:40

I understand and believe me I did google what it was about. But I have difficulties learning so I tend to ask a lot of questions and I don't retain so well either :( I really dont have any money to take the exams. I'll look up some pdfs on AD. Thanks!

IT changes. A lot. You need to be able to learn new things all the time. Troubleshooting XP/7 is hardly groundbreaking work.

Don't like that I was blunt? Tough. Doesn't make it wrong.

#21 +ChuckFinley

ChuckFinley

member_id=28229

• 9,611 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 20:42

To be fair if its a desktop role you wont have much to do with the server backend stuff. Exchange is a VERY complex subject, Especially from what I have seen. You might have to deal with User Profiles on the desktop side but that might be about it. You need an Active Directory Domain which is a whole job role in itself. To be fair if you tried to install it on a Desktop workstation what were you expecting...

#22 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• 3,748 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S 64GB

Posted 03 April 2013 - 20:45

To be honest man.. you might want to get a job at geek squad for a while (i'm serious.. not being a smartass).. take some classes.. after that go intern somewhere.. large law firms would be a great place to start.. you can also find recruiters that only want to hire someone for a few hours a week just to help put with some small things or large projects and just need some extra hands.. That is the BEST way to get experience..

Not being an ass.. but you did just try to install Exchange on Windows 8..

If you have any questions, you will find that MOST IT people will would love to help you.. but you need to try a little harder..

#23 OP freak180

freak180

Mr. GreatDisaster

• 2,186 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 20:45

IT changes. A lot. You need to be able to learn new things all the time. Troubleshooting XP/7 is hardly groundbreaking work.

Don't like that I was blunt? Tough. Doesn't make it wrong.

No Shi* its changing. I'm not trying to act as if I'm the best IT guy around or trying to be better than everyone. I didnt ask for your input and plus it wasnt relevant to what I was asking for.
I'm sure others consider what you do as to child's play.

#24 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• 3,748 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S 64GB

Posted 03 April 2013 - 20:48

To be fair if its a desktop role you wont have much to do with the server backend stuff. Exchange is a VERY complex subject, Especially from what I have seen. You might have to deal with User Profiles on the desktop side but that might be about it. You need an Active Directory Domain which is a whole job role in itself. To be fair if you tried to install it on a Desktop workstation what were you expecting...

yes, most desktop roles you won't need to know ends and outs of servers.. However, it will make you a more skilled Desktop tech in a corporate environment. It will help you troubleshoot, detail the issue better to the server team, and help you resolve more issues yourself. I can't stand IT workers that just throw their hands up saying "oh, this is a server issue, better hand it off", without even troubleshooting.. Not saying you are that guy.. but all work with one lol

#25 OP freak180

freak180

Mr. GreatDisaster

• 2,186 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 20:49

To be honest man.. you might want to get a job at geek squad for a while (i'm serious.. not being a smartass).. take some classes.. after that go intern somewhere.. large law firms would be a great place to start.. you can also find recruiters that only want to hire someone for a few hours a week just to help put with some small things or large projects and just need some extra hands.. That is the BEST way to get experience..

Not being an ass.. but you did just try to install Exchange on Windows 8..

If you have any questions, you will find that MOST IT people will would love to help you.. but you need to try a little harder..

I already worked in a few schools and a firm to do simple tech work. Some of the desk support jobs Ive seen they want you to be familiar with exchange..I been ask this question in like 4 interviews so far. I may not be the brightest and I acknowledge my mistakes.. but Its how I learn. Thanks for your input though :)

#26 episode

episode

Neowinian Fanatic

• 6,755 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 20:49

No Shi* its changing. I'm not trying to act as if I'm the best IT guy around or trying to be better than everyone. I didnt ask for your input and plus it wasnt relevant to what I was asking for.
I'm sure others consider what you do as to child's play.

Actually, you DID ask for my input, as you posted on a public forum.

#27 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 15,978 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

Posted 03 April 2013 - 20:51

the only reason i can think that a support rep would need exchange would be to change passwords and setup new accounts, or something. Our support guys where I work will change quota's and passwords and things. But we just use Exchange 2010 they probably wont upgrade to 2013 for a few years.

#28 OP freak180

freak180

Mr. GreatDisaster

• 2,186 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 20:52

yes, most desktop roles you won't need to know ends and outs of servers.. However, it will make you a more skilled Desktop tech in a corporate environment. It will help you troubleshoot, detail the issue better to the server team, and help you resolve more issues yourself. I can't stand IT workers that just throw their hands up saying "oh, this is a server issue, better hand it off", without even troubleshooting.. Not saying you are that guy.. but all work with one lol

Trust me a I've seen a lot of people like that too. I want to be useful to a lot of people. Since I'm familiar with Macs, a lot of people go to me whenever something goes wrong. I want to be more open to learning new technical skills.

the only reason i can think that a support rep would need exchange would be to change passwords and setup new accounts, or something. Our support guys where I work will change quota's and passwords and things. But we just use Exchange 2010 they probably wont upgrade to 2013 for a few years.

You might be right...That is probably why they ask if you're familiar with exchange.

#29 S.MULLA

S.MULLA

Neowinian Senior

• 4,257 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 21:05

Server 2012 is the server side software OS. Active directory, DNS, DHCP, UAG etc plus many more roles and features it has included. You simply install what you want from the server manager console.

As for exchange 2013- its a email system. You send email to a particular domain (that is pre-configured on exchange) and it will take it in and send it to the user with that email address.

Exchange 2013 takes much more effort to install that 2010. I've been trying to get it to work for the last few weeks in a test lab and i've been setting up/managing/supporting migrations for last 4 years. So for a new "IT person" to jump in deep is a very steep learning curve. Exchange isnt difficult- its just grasping what does what etc.

Exchange 2013 now has 2 main roles: Client Access (aka CAS, OWA) and Mailbox (aka mailbox, hub transport)
Tied into the above roles you also have the UC role (integration for phone system like MS Lync) and a few more that existed in 2010.

2010 had a EMC console to manage exchange, 2013 is now all web based.

#30 The_Observer

The_Observer

Apples, Bananas, Rhinoceros!

• 3,884 posts
  • Phone: iPhone5s

Posted 03 April 2013 - 21:05

I told you I'm new to this all LOL

Okay I will take your advice! hopefully I still have a copy of Server 2008. I'm doing all of this through VMware.. would that be a problem?

no not at all and with you can get a 120day trial of server 2012 dont know if they still have 2008. best to do it though virtual! GL