Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The

11 posts in this topic

Posted

[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica,]"It was a normal class," recalled Deandre Poole, in recalling an exercise that upended his academic career.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica,]He had used the classroom activity before, and wasn't particularly worried about it. "I followed the directions from the instructor's guide," he said. The course at Florida Atlantic University was in intercultural communications, and the exercise involves having students write "Jesus" on a piece of paper, and then asking them to step on it. When they hesitate, the instructor has an opening to discuss symbols and their meaning.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica,]In the last two weeks, that activity -- [url="http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2013/03/28/professor-whose-exercise-caused-stomp-jesus-controversy"]though recommended in the instructor's guide to a popular textbook[/url] -- has led to numerous press reports saying that Poole told his students to "stomp on Jesus," to criticism of the class from pundits nationwide and the governor of Florida, to a pledge by Florida Atlantic never to allow the exercise to be used again, to [url="http://usconstitutionalfreepress.wordpress.com/2013/03/26/fire-professor-deandre-j-poole-for-forcing-his-students-to-stomp-on-jesus/"]petitions seeking Poole's firing[/url] (he's on a one-year contract, off the tenure track) and to death threats so numerous that the university on Friday announced that Poole has been placed on paid leave because his safety could not be assured on campus.[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica,]During the last two weeks, Poole said, he had been told by the university not to discuss the case, and he hasn't. But on Sunday night, he responded to a request from [i]Inside Higher Ed[/i] and gave his first interview. "It's time for me to speak up," he said.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica,]First off, Poole wants people to know that he never told anyone to "stomp on Jesus," to quote the headline widely used in articles criticizing him. He said he asked people to step on the piece of paper.[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica,]Poole said that, as best he could tell, only one student in the course had an objection. That student -- whom Poole did not name in the interview, but who has come forward in local news reports saying he was suspended for objecting to the exercise -- refused to participate and then said repeatedly, Poole said, "How dare you disrespect someone's religion?"[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica,]After class, the student came up to him, and made that statement again, this time hitting his balled fist into his other hand and saying that "he wanted to hit me." While the student did not do so, Poole said he was alarmed and notified campus security and filed a report on the student.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica,]That action, he said, not the student's objection to the exercise, is why the student briefly faced disciplinary action. (Poole's account of course differs from that of the student. Here's a [url="http://miami.cbslocal.com/2013/03/21/fau-student-claims-he-was-suspended-for-refusing-to-step-on-jesus/"]local news article[/url] with the student's perspective. When [i]Inside Higher Ed[/i] [url="http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2013/03/29/why-was-fau-student-suspended-jesus-case"]interviewed the student's lawyer[/url] last week about reports that a threat was made, the lawyer strongly denied this, and said that charge was a pretext to punish the student for objecting to the exercise.)[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica,]Much of the critical commentary about Poole has suggested that he is anti-Christian. In fact, he said, he has been connected to churches all of his life, has served as a Sunday school teacher, and understands the power of the word "Jesus" on a piece of paper because he cares deeply about Jesus.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica,]

Posted

I believe in the previous thread there were tons of people who said "I wish teachers would just teach what's in the book and not let their beliefs get in the way" right?

So now they should all be perfectly happy because this guy was in fact following the book.

[quote]"This exercise is a bit sensitive, but really drives home the point that even though symbols are arbitrary, they take on very strong and emotional meanings. Have the students write the name JESUS in big letters on a piece of paper. Ask the students to stand up and put the paper on the floor in front of them with the name facing up. Ask the students to think about it for a moment. After a brief period of silence, instruct them to step on the paper. Most will hesitate. Ask why they can

Posted

'Merika! Land of the free*

* Only applies to those of the right wing persuation, those who do not adhere to the traditionalist conservative values, might not have the same rights as others, including, the right to marry, the persuit of happiness, and the right to live peacefully without the threat of violence.

Posted

[quote]He said he has received hate mail and death threats, some of them coming in forms particularly hurtful to an African American. "One of the threats said that I might find myself hanging from a tree," he said.[/quote]

[quote name='-Razorfold' timestamp='1364971069' post='595613762']
I believe in the previous thread there were tons of people who said "I wish teachers would just teach what's in the book and not let their beliefs get in the way" right?

So now they should all be perfectly happy because this guy was in fact following the book.

Oh look at that it's pretty much what I and countless others said...it wasn't an exercise on how religion is stupid :rolleyes:

But hey just like the other thread this one will turn into a religion vs. atheism thread.
[/quote]

It's also worth noting he actually is a Christian and nobody in the class had any objections to the exercise.

Posted

[quote name='compl3x' timestamp='1364972739' post='595613788']
It's also worth noting he actually is a Christian and nobody in the class had any objections to the exercise.
[/quote]

[quote]Poole said that, as best he could tell, only one student in the course had an objection. That student -- whom Poole did not name in the interview, but who has come forward in local news reports saying he was suspended for objecting to the exercise -- refused to participate and then said repeatedly, Poole said, "How dare you disrespect someone's religion?"
After class, the student came up to him, and made that statement again, this time hitting his balled fist into his other hand and saying that "he wanted to hit me." While the student did not do so, Poole said he was alarmed and notified campus security and filed a report on the student.
[/quote]

Posted

[quote name='-Razorfold' timestamp='1364971069' post='595613762']
Oh look at that it's pretty much what I and countless others said...it wasn't an exercise on how religion is stupid :rolleyes:
[/quote]

A lot of exercises where discussion on philosophical subjects like this start by nudging people and challenging them out of their comfort bubble.

I see that whole story as the student who did not like being asked to step out of his little box.

In any case, since we have other sides of the story, the big question is "Now, what?". Will that story be judged? and How?

Posted

and who made this 'instructor guide' ?

Posted

[quote name='Doli' timestamp='1364974953' post='595613820']
[i]<snipped>[/i]
[/quote]

Sorry. I meant no other student besides 1 had any objections. My mistake.

[quote name='Vykranth' timestamp='1364975391' post='595613826']
In any case, since we have other sides of the story, the big question is "Now, what?". Will that story be judged? and How?
[/quote]

Well we already know how some have judged it: completely lose your mind and play up the "we're being persecuted" angle.
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote]
Much of the critical commentary about Poole has suggested that he is anti-Christian. In fact, he said, he has been connected to churches all of his life, has served as a Sunday school teacher, and understands the power of the word "Jesus" on a piece of paper because he cares deeply about Jesus.
[/quote]

That puts a very different perspective on things, it seems to me.

Posted

yea, but Hitler also claim to be christian got support from catholic church, simply put most christians are too gullible.

Posted

Wait till people actually read this and realize they were wrong.

*crickets*

edit: As I posted in the other thread, Please go teach somewhere else, Prof. Poole. Where you actually can have some respect.
1 person likes this