Disney Shuts Down LucasArts, Cancels Star Wars 1313 And Star Wars: First As

LucasArts was a studio that I have fond memories of 2D point and click games.

However their later ventures and their Star Wars games have never interested me. I don't think there's any major loss seeing them shut down.

• Like 1

Why would they spend so much...only to close down one of the two studios they acquired :/

Very, very unfortunate for all those involved. Not a large Star Wars game player myself but 1313 was looking good.

They probably acquired it with the goal of licensing the brand for royalties instead. It is also possible that the studio had some patents they wanted or something else other than what they produce that was of value to Disney.

For sure, Disney didn't buy it and shut it down this fast without this having already been apart of their original plan. Since businesses don't plan to waste/lose money then they felt something inside of this studio had value.

I wish those displaced all the luck.

R.I.P.

Though their golden days were long over.

I hope Telltale games grabs the rights to their other adventure games. It would awesome to see new Grim Fandango game, or Day of the tenticle styled game

It'd be nice, but Telltale is hard to put much faith into. They seem to hype the hell out of a game, then ignore it utterly when the next game comes along for them to hype. After Sam & Max, their entire universe was the Monkey Island game. After that was out of the way, they shoved it aside and were 100% about Back to the Future. When time came for Jurassic Park, BttF was sent to a farm upstate where it could run through fields all day. By the time we were talking about Walking Dead, they might as well have never made any other games before as far as their face to the market was concerned.

I was a fan because of Monkey Island, but their sharp lack of interest in that type of game since has made me stop caring. I hit PAX every year and their booth is always a giant display of whatever ONE game their marketing department will spare any love for. All you can be sure of is that whatever they're doing *now*, they won't give two farks about next year.

What a disgrace. LucasArts bought us some of the best PC games ever made (though probably will only really be fondly remembered by gamers in their late 20's and 30's), and they're unceremoniously axed just like that. Screw you Disney.

What a disgrace. LucasArts bought us some of the best PC games ever made (though probably will only really be fondly remembered by gamers in their late 20's and 30's), and they're unceremoniously axed just like that. Screw you Disney.

I remember playing a lot of shareware stuff in the 90's that always started out first with the purple lucasarts logo... can't remember what exactly, but it was pretty common back then

Lucas Arts are a shadow of what they were. It's a shame to see such a long running studio get shutdown but really they've not been producing anything of quality lately. I'm sure all the better developers from yesteryear which made it so popular have since moved on.

Hope to see star wars games in future though. Just don't license them to Gearbox studios ;)

Oh man, Disney really are ****ing with our star wars plans. Clone Wars - cancelled. Star Wars 1313 - cancelled. FFS Disney, go home, you're drunk!

I think you entirely missed my point...

no I was agreeing with you, sorry if it came off wrong.

Well, it's been a very long time since they made a good game. The last few good Star Wars games I can think of were all licensed titles, and they had long since abandoned their great adventure games. Seems like a great opportunity for TellTale to buy out their remaining adventure game franchises and raise them from the dead.

• Like 1

Lucasarts was a wholly owned subsidiary of Lucasfilm. It came along for the ride when Disney bought out George Lucas's Star Wars (etc.) empire. They had to buy it because of rights, etc. but they clearly didn't intend to keep it open, given the hiring freeze etc.

I hope the talented artists find good homes.

It'd be nice, but Telltale is hard to put much faith into. They seem to hype the hell out of a game, then ignore it utterly when the next game comes along for them to hype. After Sam & Max, their entire universe was the Monkey Island game. After that was out of the way, they shoved it aside and were 100% about Back to the Future. When time came for Jurassic Park, BttF was sent to a farm upstate where it could run through fields all day. By the time we were talking about Walking Dead, they might as well have never made any other games before as far as their face to the market was concerned.

I was a fan because of Monkey Island, but their sharp lack of interest in that type of game since has made me stop caring. I hit PAX every year and their booth is always a giant display of whatever ONE game their marketing department will spare any love for. All you can be sure of is that whatever they're doing *now*, they won't give two farks about next year.

Yeah, but a even as one-offs, Grim Fandango and Day of the Tenticle games would be amazing. Their Monkey Island was fun, and I dont care if they don't make more of them, it was still nice to see modern day monkey island

ps. Were there any real talent left in the studio? The reason we love them, is because of the previous work done by differnt people (I assume). Was there any talent that stayed?