Thinner windows borders in Windows Blue but no ones noticed?

I like the taskbar panels without borders. It looks better. Wish the windows didn't have borders at all, like in OS X. Won't be happening most likely due to compatibility reasons.

I've found something else new in the Blue desktop... windows no longer fade in or fade out when you close/open them. They still have the same animation, just with no transparency effect.

Makes sense to remove this as it makes the desktop more consistent to Modern/Metro. Now the very last part of Vista/7's Aero theme is the transparency on the Taskbar...

Funny how no one else notices this stuff but being a graphics designer i guess i have an eye for it :shifty: Most of all i want ALL desktop icons updated. They're still from Vista/2007. They're totally out of place and need to be flattened out.

I like the taskbar panels without borders. It looks better. Wish the windows didn't have borders at all, like in OS X. Won't be happening most likely due to compatibility reasons.

I don't even get how that would work unless you added a prominent shadow to the windows as it's done on OS X?

As for the thinner borders, I like it, but when I did the regedit tweak on my Windows 8 installation, I later had trouble quickly grabbing the edges of windows. Is there some way to reduce the (visible) border size while keeping the (actual) width of the area that can be used to click and resize the same?

My Windows 8 with the above reghack applied:

Big thanks! Giving it a go now.

Heres the new closing/opening window difference in Blue (no transparency), and you can also see the new folder shortcuts added in "Computer" ...

And before anyone asks again, the borders on File Explorer are the same size as on Win 8, they've not (yet?) been made thinner like some other windows shown in my first post...

post-484514-0-51794500-1365107483.jpg

Heres the new closing/opening window difference in Blue (no transparency), and you can also see the new folder shortcuts added in "Computer" ...

And before anyone asks again, the borders on File Explorer are the same size as on Win 8, they've not (yet?) been made thinner like some other windows shown in my first post...

Well, the borders in that screenshot look the same, so I think the original shots with the thinner borders ran the reg hack, which is excellent BTW.

It goes transparent in W8 as well. I don't know, maybe without seeing them side by side I can't really judge.

I've found something else new in the Blue desktop... windows no longer fade in or fade out when you close/open them. They still have the same animation, just with no transparency effect.

Did you also notice that the minimize animation is different? The minimized window actually makes it all the way "into" the taskbar instead of fading out.

I actually don't mind the thick borders of Win8. The thinner borders don't look any better or worse to me.

Well, the borders in that screenshot look the same, so I think the original shots with the thinner borders ran the reg hack, which is excellent BTW.

As i've said before, i took all these screenshots myself. The thinner borders in Blue have been confirmed by other posters. It's not a reg hack. It only affects some windows though, not all, which is why File Explorer still has the chunky borders.

Did you also notice that the minimize animation is different? The minimized window actually makes it all the way "into" the taskbar instead of fading out.

Nice find!

People seem to forget the borders are needed for touch displays, to resize windows...

You don't even need visible borders, you can have windows that are just as easy to resize without them. Look at OS X (which amusingly just recently got the ability to resize a window from any corner. Welcome to 1990 Apple)

As i've said before, i took all these screenshots myself. The thinner borders in Blue have been confirmed by other posters. It's not a reg hack. It only affects some windows though, not all, which is why File Explorer still has the chunky borders.

It doesn't affect any app windows, it only affects dialog windows.

It's good that they are polishing it up. :)

You don't even need visible borders, you can have windows that are just as easy to resize without them. Look at OS X (which amusingly just recently got the ability to resize a window from any corner. Welcome to 1990 Apple)

OS X does not support touch

People seem to forget the borders are needed for touch displays, to resize windows...

You don't even need visible borders, you can have windows that are just as easy to resize without them. Look at OS X

Interestingly enough, the older method using the grab handle would probably work better with touch than trying to grab a borderless edge with your finger. It's less of a problem using the mouse cursor since the cursor icon itself can tell you in advance whether or not you're in the ~7px tolerance zone around the window edge. I can definitely see how thick window borders become more or less necessary with touch, at least in the absence of such a handle.

So the window gets smaller and then just *pop* disappears? I'm sure it looks wonky now and they'll change it further which I applaud, the animations have been the same since Vista.

Also I agree with you regarding the icons, some of them are baaaad. I'm still slightly shocked they didn't update them last year.

Also I agree with you regarding the icons, some of them are baaaad. I'm still slightly shocked they didn't update them last year.

If they didn't update the icons last year (when they had to so the OS shipped with them), I doubt they will update them for Blue. If they are planning to phase out the desktop in the future, I don't see them putting much more effort to the desktop. But yeah, new "metro" icons will make the whole OS a lot more consistent. I read a rumor a while ago that they did in fact had new icons but found them "jarring" and decided to keep the old icons. Not sure if that was true.