Photo

Thinner windows borders in Windows Blue but no ones noticed?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#16 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 04 April 2013 - 13:23

I used a reghack to reduce the awful borders in 8 to what it looks like on Windows Blue (the Mozilla setup window border in the above image)

Copy below and save as window_border.reg if you want thinner borders in Windows 8 as well:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics]
"BorderWidth"="0"
"PaddedBorderWidth"="0"

You might want to launch regedit and export/backup HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics first ;)

Nice that they are finally being looked at properly for Windows Blue, but we'd need to see a later build to find out what will happen I guess.

NM my reghack also removes the border entirely from the clock widget in Windows 8 too, so I'm guessing the screenshot was taken with a similar reghack applied already, or it really is the new way in Windows Blue.

My Windows 8 with the above reghack applied:

Edit: Better image

you don't even need to go to that much trouble with messing with the registry. the tool that Jose_49 posted a few posts above yours does that same registry tweak :p

#17 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 04 April 2013 - 13:24

I took the screenshots myself, it's a clean install of Blue. No reg hack.

And like i said the new reduced border size ONLY affects software installation and notification/alert windows, plus the Clock and Action Center in the Taskbar. Nothing else is affected, so things like File Explorer and ALL software on Blue still have the usual chunky windows borders. It seems like MS are experimenting with border sizes.

So basically dialog windows, who can't be resized and don't need borders got the borders reduced, while resizeable app windows still has normal borders. makes sense.

#18 ingramator

ingramator

Hacker

• Phone: Lumia 920, iPhone 5, GS3

Posted 04 April 2013 - 13:30

Confirmed this is inbuilt! Had to actually check didn't immediately notice, come to think of it, looks really good! Nice to see MS improving on the desktop as well!

#19 OP W32.Backdoor.KillAV.E

W32.Backdoor.KillAV.E

Neowinian

Posted 04 April 2013 - 13:31

what makes you guys think that the guy who took the screenshots didn't edit the border thickness himself ? MS has been pretty adamant about keeping the border thickness for usability reasons. No they really don't make windows exclusively for the "techie" user ;)

I've already said in my post:

... all software seems to have the same border size as Windows 8 (so far). MS mentioned that they didn't reduce the border size in 8 because of software compatibility (some stuff relies on border size for buttons/UI to be correctly placed) so maybe this is why, but i hope they change this because it's inconsistent having two different sizes in Blue.

Basically only certain windows in Blue have the reduced border size (maybe for the reason you mention).

#20 notchinese

notchinese

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 04 April 2013 - 13:46

All the pictures in the other threads still have the same border size....

#21 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 04 April 2013 - 15:18

Works on Server 2012 as well, for anyone who might be curious >.<

#22 MDboyz

MDboyz

Neowinian

Posted 04 April 2013 - 15:39

That clock looks good. There is no need to change it.

I'm for this change.

The window close/maximize/minimize buttons need to change to something more aesthetically pleasing. And that clock from Vista too.

#23 KRazpopov

KRazpopov

Neowinian

• Phone: Samsung Omnia 7

Posted 04 April 2013 - 15:44

That clock looks good. There is no need to change it.

It doesn't fit in with the generally flat UI that Microsoft are going for at the moment. They should swap the clock with something that lacks the gradients and reflections that are on the current one.

#24 dr_crabman

dr_crabman

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 04 April 2013 - 15:48

What about the menu that pops up when you right-click on anything in the taskbar?

#25 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 04 April 2013 - 15:49

It's also thinner with the reg trick.

#26 ShareShiz

ShareShiz

Neowinian

Posted 04 April 2013 - 15:50

I like your Pink Floyd wallpaper .....

.... and the reghack :p

#27 anidais

anidais

Neowinian

Posted 04 April 2013 - 15:53

I like the taskbar panels without borders. It looks better. Wish the windows didn't have borders at all, like in OS X. Won't be happening most likely due to compatibility reasons.

#28 OP W32.Backdoor.KillAV.E

W32.Backdoor.KillAV.E

Neowinian

Posted 04 April 2013 - 16:35

I've found something else new in the Blue desktop... windows no longer fade in or fade out when you close/open them. They still have the same animation, just with no transparency effect.

Makes sense to remove this as it makes the desktop more consistent to Modern/Metro. Now the very last part of Vista/7's Aero theme is the transparency on the Taskbar...

Funny how no one else notices this stuff but being a graphics designer i guess i have an eye for it :shifty: Most of all i want ALL desktop icons updated. They're still from Vista/2007. They're totally out of place and need to be flattened out.

#29 Syrah

Syrah

Posted 04 April 2013 - 16:46

I like the taskbar panels without borders. It looks better. Wish the windows didn't have borders at all, like in OS X. Won't be happening most likely due to compatibility reasons.

I don't even get how that would work unless you added a prominent shadow to the windows as it's done on OS X?

As for the thinner borders, I like it, but when I did the regedit tweak on my Windows 8 installation, I later had trouble quickly grabbing the edges of windows. Is there some way to reduce the (visible) border size while keeping the (actual) width of the area that can be used to click and resize the same?

#30 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 04 April 2013 - 16:57

What does an explorer window look like?