new york protesters fast food forward national restaurant assc. unions

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 Sandor

Sandor

Neowinian Senior

• 3,952 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 21:04

No one should work a full time job and still end up with a wage that is defined as "under the poverty line".

Society as a whole shouldn't allow that to exist.

#17 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• 6,546 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 04 April 2013 - 21:15

No one should work a full time job and still end up with a wage that is defined as "under the poverty line".

$7.70 x 40 (hours) x 52 (weeks) = $16,106.

The poverty line in 2011, for one person, was $11,484. Obviously, the line goes up the more people (dependents) there are. So, if these people did work full weeks they are at least above the poverty line. However, this argument has two issues with it, in my opinion.

First, I think the poverty line is too low to begin with. $11,000 is no where near enough money to live on your own. Not at least anywhere near where I live. (and I'm pretty close to NYC) So I definitely don't think that it's a good gauge as for whether someone makes "enough".

The second, it's not an employers job to make sure all of their employees are above the line. If employers cut back on hours to save money, then it's the employee's responsibility to find another job (or a second/third one) to make up for lost wages. No one, not just fast-food workers, is entitled to anything beyond a minimum wage. So their strike is essentially motivated by laziness.

#18 majortom1981

majortom1981

The crazy one

• 5,322 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 21:17

just last week NY State raised minimum wage to $9 an hour so the NY strikers are just plain greedy.

#19 Nogib

Nogib

Neowinian

• 603 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 21:22

No surprise at all. The lazy ****s in this country want their pay doubled blindly without having to do any more work. I'd fire each and every one of these losers who walked off. Anyone with half a brain knows that a fast-food job isn't a career, just a stop gap measure. Don't like your pay? Then go educate yourself and work somewhere better!!! This shouldn't be that complex to grasp but no these tools want everything just given to them as usual. Stupid ****s like that are all over this country and completely ruining it...

#20 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,861 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 21:24

$7.70 x 40 (hours) x 52 (weeks) = $16,106.

The poverty line in 2011, for one person, was $11,484. Obviously, the line goes up the more people (dependents) there are. So, if these people did work full weeks they are at least above the poverty line. However, this argument has two issues with it, in my opinion.

First, I think the poverty line is too low to begin with. $11,000 is no where near enough money to live on your own. Not at least anywhere near where I live. (and I'm pretty close to NYC) So I definitely don't think that it's a good gauge as for whether someone makes "enough".

The second, it's not an employers job to make sure all of their employees are above the line. If employers cut back on hours to save money, then it's the employee's responsibility to find another job (or a second/third one) to make up for lost wages. No one, not just fast-food workers, is entitled to anything beyond a minimum wage. So their strike is essentially motivated by laziness.

Ah, but the poverty line is very much relative to where you live.

It's a lot cheaper to live in some sleepy town with one cop in the middle of Utah than it is in a busy metropolis like New York.

I'd rather pay a little more for my burger and the staff be paid a reasonable living wage, personally.

No surprise at all. The lazy ****s in this country want their pay doubled blindly without having to do any more work. I'd fire each and every one of these losers who walked off. Anyone with half a brain knows that a fast-food job isn't a career, just a stop gap measure. Don't like your pay? Then go educate yourself and work somewhere better!!! This shouldn't be that complex to grasp but no these tools want everything just given to them as usual. Stupid ****s like that are all over this country and completely ruining it...

Actually, it's "superior" attitudes like yours that are ruining America.

#21 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• 6,546 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 04 April 2013 - 21:28

Ah, but the poverty line is very much relative to where you live.

It's a lot cheaper to live in some sleepy town with one cop in the middle of Utah than it is in a busy metropolis like New York.

I'd rather pay a little more for my burger and the staff be paid a reasonable living wage, personally.

I completely agree. That's why I tried to state that $11,000 wasn't enough to live on, in and around NYC. (because the people striking are from there, and I live near there so I've seen housing prices)

#22 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,862 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 00:46

I'd think they would be more concerned with getting 40 hours.