• Please log in to reply
253 replies to this topic

#166 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 April 2013 - 13:13

There's also this

http://www.gamechup....your-isp-bills/

By your logic I could say the rumor has less credibility because Major Nelson, the figurehead of Xbox, said yesterday that spending all this time talking about this rumor is a waste of time.

#167 OP Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 07 April 2013 - 14:32

Andagain, those Sony/PS4 announcements mean nothing. nothing how they dance around the issue.

they merely say it "won't block" used games, not that "it won't have used games blocking". basically applying the same logic you guys are applying to the MS rumor I can categorically say that all evidence points to the PS4 having non mandatory used games blocking service, that while not mandatory will be used by virtually all of them.

same thing with their online statement. but hey some people will read rumors with those horse blinder shades on walking down a one way street.

While there might be truth in that, there is a difference between not enforcing and enforcing on a system wide level.

If you do a bit of research on how the used games market in Japan works, you'll see exactly why Sony aren't implementing a universal used games block. MS don't really care about Japan, so if they do it won't matter to them that performance in Japan will sink even more.

#168 OP Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 07 April 2013 - 16:23

Paul Thurrot

1) Always-on connectivity is indeed part of the next Xbox, and it was interesting to see this guy confirm that unofficially.

2) He could have been more tactful, but let’s face it, people are way too sensitive online.

3) The biggest issue here, frankly, was the cyberbullying that occurred in the wake of Orth’s comments. Those sensitive people aren’t so sensitive when it comes to other people, that’s for sure. In fact, that’s my exact definition of a bully.

4) Microsoft is only upset about the way this feature was communicated, because it likes to present this kind of thing has a positive, not a negative.

Let’s see what Microsoft has to say about the next Xbox, first in a late May launch event, and then later at both E3 and BUILD 2013, before we make up our minds. Let’s not let one ill-conceived comment ruin what’s going to be an awesome year for Xbox. And yes, it really is going to be awesome.

Folks, the next Xbox is going to require an always-on Internet connection. I don’t know the specifics of what that means, but as I explained on this week’s What The Tech podcast, which was recorded on Friday instead of the usual Tuesday because of my travel earlier in this week, this piece of information had been communicated to me, along with some other relevant tidbits, in January. It’s true.

Will Microsoft change this requirement in the wake of early outrage? Frankly I think we’re too far along in the development process of the next Xbox, codenamed Durango, to make such a change. More to the point, I think that an always-on Xbox is directly in keeping with Microsoft’s strategy for all next-generation platforms, including Windows Phone (all versions) and Windows 8/RT, which are designed to work as if you are simply connected all the time. Yes, they do work offline, of course. But the apps platform on these systems—which will be replicated on the Windows 8-based next Xbox—assumes a connection. Microsoft’s new platforms are integrated conduits for online services.

Lots more here - http://winsupersite...._medium=twitter

#169 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 07 April 2013 - 16:28

Paul Thurrot

[/color][/size][/font][/color]

Lots more here - http://winsupersite...._medium=twitter

The only important point as I said previously,

Folks, the next Xbox is going to require an always-on Internet connection. I don’t know the specifics of what that means
which are designed to work as if you are simply connected all the time. Yes, they do work offline, of course.

Hey btw, nice to see you posting in Xbox forums again. ;)

#170 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 07 April 2013 - 16:37

If it's allowing you to install 3rd party apps from a store like on windows and windows phone then having a internet connection is needed or you'll be missing out on apps, but also other services that could tie into it also. That's got nothing to do with needing to be on in order to do anything at all. So in the end connections are being made without enough info.

#171 Emn1ty

Emn1ty

Web Programmer

• Phone: Driod Razr

Posted 07 April 2013 - 16:40

I still can't believe how many people are willing to make decisions about consoles based on rumors. Wait till they officially tell you what it is then make a decision. Changing your mind 500 times before its release is pointless as is using stupid crap like this as flak to hate on a console.

#172 ichi

ichi

Akihabara Style

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 07 April 2013 - 16:53

So basically if the rumors are right the next xbox will suck, and if they aren't then those rumors will be irrelevant and the next xbox will turn out to be a nice device, am I right?

Not sure why the couple of threads about this thing are so long.

#173 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 07 April 2013 - 17:03

I still don't see how the next xbox will suck if it's true..

#174 OP Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 07 April 2013 - 19:14

I've just been made aware apparently XBLIG's require you to be online at all times? Just some food for thought for those who won't even discuss this as a rumour as it's somehow completely unthinkable.

#175 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 April 2013 - 19:18

and ?

#176 OP Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 07 April 2013 - 19:19

and ?

The requirement of "always online required" has already been tested by MS on a console?

#177 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 April 2013 - 19:20

Noone's said it's completely unthinkable.

just that for MS to do this they're either not the only ones, or there's some very good incentives, the only one there is good enough is EA exclusivity.

for me personally, if every game is treated as a GOD/DD and the disc is just an alternate delivery, I personally find that awesome. no need for the disk to play the game, I can play my game on any of my Xbox'es anywhere without bringing the disk. I'm not seeing a downside.

#178 OP Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 07 April 2013 - 19:23

Noone's said it's completely unthinkable.

just that for MS to do this they're either not the only ones, or there's some very good incentives, the only one there is good enough is EA exclusivity.

for me personally, if every game is treated as a GOD/DD and the disc is just an alternate delivery, I personally find that awesome. no need for the disk to play the game, I can play my game on any of my Xbox'es anywhere without bringing the disk. I'm not seeing a downside.

Have a read at this news post - http://www.neowin.ne...ys-on-next-xbox

#179 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 April 2013 - 19:30

All I see is people saying it's a rumor and unlikely.

#180 ichi

ichi

Akihabara Style

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 07 April 2013 - 20:01

I still don't see how the next xbox will suck if it's true..

Because you probably have a reliable connection that you can use with the console at any time.

It would suck for Microsoft more than anyone though (which is why I don't think the rumour is true) as they'd lose quite a few potential customers who won't be wasting money on a console they can't actually use.