• Please log in to reply
253 replies to this topic

#181 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 07 April 2013 - 20:26

yes, like 99.9999999999999999999% of xbox owners.

#182 ichi

ichi

Akihabara Style

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 07 April 2013 - 21:23

yes, like 99.9999999999999999999% of xbox owners.

And you know this how, exactly?

#183 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 April 2013 - 21:45

And you know this how, exactly?

He might not, but I bet Microsoft does - I'm sure they've been collecting data from 360 users since it came out and could tell quite a bit more than you'd probably be comfortable with. And I'm sure that data is part of what is driving their business model, not a handful of people complaining on the internet.

#184 ichi

ichi

Akihabara Style

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 08 April 2013 - 00:29

He might not, but I bet Microsoft does - I'm sure they've been collecting data from 360 users since it came out and could tell quite a bit more than you'd probably be comfortable with. And I'm sure that data is part of what is driving their business model, not a handful of people complaining on the internet.

Microsoft sure does, and that's exactly why I think the rumour is not true.

Taking advantage of your connection? Sure. Absolutely requiring a connection to play even single player games? We'll see, but I don't think that'd be a smart move.

#185 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 08 April 2013 - 00:59

Yeah, I think they all do that now and I'm sure not always comfortable with it.

#186 OP Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 09 April 2013 - 16:31

http://www.escapistm...tm_campaign=all

#187 Emn1ty

Emn1ty

Web Programmer

• Phone: Driod Razr

Posted 09 April 2013 - 17:08

http://www.escapistm...tm_campaign=all

Do you even read the conversations going on in your own thread?

Also, the paragraph AFTER what you quoted reads

That said, a caution and a caveat: other sources familiar with the codenamed Durango console have told us that they are still unaware of any Microsoft plans regarding an online requirement. No one has been able to say it's not true and some have speculated that this is required at the operating system level and therefore isn't something Microsoft has to tell all developers or retail partners. Microsoft also has the ability to change this type of requirement seemingly at a moment's notice through changes in firmware or networking infrastructure.

Your article title is misleading at best. This seems to be one source against many. I am also growing tired of negativity for the sake of negativity from you when it comes to Microsoft.

#188 OP Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 09 April 2013 - 17:21

The biggest gaming forum on the web is happily discussing these topics, but no, let's keep it quiet on Neowin because some people don't like it :innocent:

#189 Sentron

Sentron

OBS Developer

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 09 April 2013 - 17:23

This seems like a stupid idea.

#190 dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 09 April 2013 - 17:52

Boogies rage video is getting a lot of views, but his genuine one is better

Quoting this because it was a damn good video to watch. Wish this got posted on the front page instead of "Francis" because all people did was dismiss him and say he was fat. (because apparently, no one could tell) I did like one thing out of the Francis video better though, and that's how true his words were when he said that, if this rumor holds to be true with "always on" being the requirement, that all Sony would have to do is show up.

I feel it's also worth pointing out that many people here are dismissing the whole Adam Orth fiasco along with the rumors, claiming that negative attention is still better than no attention, and that no one is talking about the Playstation... Well, that's not true at all. While I don't work for Microsoft, it doesn't take a damn genius to figure out that things like this aren't what I'd want spread all over the place.

Posted Image

I'm still waiting for Microsoft to pull out the big guns honestly, and I'm hoping all this rumor and speculation is proven to be false. Still, the idea that Microsoft is letting people speculate whether they are douche bags or not doesn't seem ideal...

#191 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 09 April 2013 - 18:07

<Snipped>

Still, the idea that Microsoft is letting people speculate whether they are douche bags or not doesn't seem ideal...

MS would be foolish not to gauge reaction prior to implementing this. And it probably is able to be toggled in firmware. This gamble would be bigger than the Modern UI on the desktop gamble. You can work around the latter. This one is all or nothing.

MS isn't going to say anything until the Next Xbox is revealed. They don't have to. And even if we all know they're considering it, they can do a Bill Clinton (deny, deny, deny) because they have the blue dress.

Edited by Anaron, 09 April 2013 - 22:58.

#192 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 09 April 2013 - 18:50

The facts are these, the only thing we have is the use of a marketing term in year old leaked documents that state at the top that anything written is subject to change. No one knows what always on means, jumping to conclusions is what everyone is doing until we finally get some thing from MS.

Having a always on connection option could have zero to do with drm or used games and more to do with keeping your system, apps, games up to date while also allowing the system to start up way faster. Honestly, we had the CEO of gamestop coming out and saying the next Xbox will be good and they've built their whole business on used games. MS also said it has a very strong relationship with it's retail partners as to why GoD has such a delay on adding new titles for digital download. Add this up and if anything then I'm inclined to believe that at least the gamestop higher ups have a clue of what's coming. Until I see them tossing a fit over the next Xbox I don't buy into any of these anti used games and always online drm rumors.

#193 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 09 April 2013 - 21:15

I won't believe one word of this until Microsoft speaks up about it. It's just too ridiculous to be taken literally. There's not a single gaming device (OnLive excluded, for obvious reasons) or platform (i.e. Steam) that takes you out of your games when you're playing just because the internet connection went out; there's no reason to do that and there's certainly no reason for Microsoft to impose this constraint on everything you do with the console at anytime.

The console is likely designed to take advantage of the internet connection at all times, if it's available, but kicking you out of the system when it isn't is just pants-on retarded and not something Microsoft is likely to do.

#194 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 09 April 2013 - 21:59

I won't believe one word of this until Microsoft speaks up about it. It's just too ridiculous to be taken literally. There's not a single gaming device (OnLive excluded, for obvious reasons) or platform (i.e. Steam) that takes you out of your games when you're playing just because the internet connection went out; there's no reason to do that and there's certainly no reason for Microsoft to impose this constraint on everything you do with the console at anytime.

The console is likely designed to take advantage of the internet connection at all times, if it's available, but kicking you out of the system when it isn't is just pants-on retarded and not something Microsoft is likely to do.

This is spot on, I'm sure there will be features that require you be online to work but that doesn't mean you have to be online for everything period. One thing I expect is for gamertag sync, since I expect the next Xbox to use the same core and winrt apis for apps and games the idea of syncing things between devices is a needed feature and it needs a connection online to work.

When we have arcade games that are also on Windows 8 and Windows Phone that then let's you save and continue from there on one of the others you will need a connection to sync that and so on.

#195 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 09 April 2013 - 23:01

Cleaned

Accusing someone of being a troll only makes the situation worse. Report a post and be done with it.