Photo

Kotaku: Next Xbox will require online connection to start games

• Please log in to reply
253 replies to this topic

#196 OP Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:51

Is it true Games on Demand games boot you out after 10 minutes of no connection?

#197 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:13

No idea. The only time I've gone that long without a connection I wasn't home just my GF being annoyed because she couldn't netflix.

basically though. No, your downloaded GOD games can be played even when you're offline AS LONG as you are on the licensed Xbox. if you're playing them on another xbox then the one they are licensed to however you need to be online.

#198 Emn1ty

Emn1ty

Web Programmer

• Phone: Driod Razr

Posted 10 April 2013 - 17:05

And you can transfer the license iirc.

#199 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 10 April 2013 - 19:05

So the rumors continue today...

http://www.vgleaks.c...x-roadmap-2013/

Durango itself will also always be online like any other device (correct with rumors), but it will not be a requirement to play local content and it will not prevent playing used games. Putting in an Xbox 360 disc into Durango will prompt the user to attach the supporting device that is sold separately. By separating the two devices and their functions it will ensure price competitiveness for both pieces of hardware. Microsoft’s delay in announcing these products from April goes more inline with not having a physical set of devices to show (among specification updates), which should be ready by May or June when this information is officially released.

I think this Microsoft on damage control... :laugh:

#200 +Audien

Audien

Software Eng.

• Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 10 April 2013 - 19:11

Is it true Games on Demand games boot you out after 10 minutes of no connection?

No, everything is just rumors and speculation until it's unveiled. I'm not jumping to any conclusions/panic like everyone seems to be. It is does turn out to be always-on, then there's reason to say something.

#201 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 10 April 2013 - 19:17

So the rumors continue today...

http://www.vgleaks.c...x-roadmap-2013/

I think this Microsoft on damage control... :laugh:

This makes more sense. Not sure I like the shotgun approach. You end up jack of all trades, master of none.

#202 giantpotato

giantpotato

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 April 2013 - 23:16

That seems like a really smart way to tackle backwards compatibility. People who want to play 360 games can buy the add-on without needing to have 2 devices in their living room, and people who don't want it won't have to pay extra. If this is true, it actually turns the tables and makes the PS4 the console that is required to be online (for backwards compatibility).

#203 dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:55

That seems like a really smart way to tackle backwards compatibility. People who want to play 360 games can buy the add-on without needing to have 2 devices in their living room, and people who don't want it won't have to pay extra. If this is true, it actually turns the tables and makes the PS4 the console that is required to be online (for backwards compatibility).

I'm still scratching my head at the idea of them saying you don't need 2 devices in your living room... when you apparently need an addon (sold separately) to attach just for this capability. You would still have two devices, and you are paying for both of them. :huh:

It's interesting seeing Paul Thurrott's information coming to light though. So much for keeping quiet hah.

Apparently, Adam Orth has "resigned" as well. Looks like Francis was right in calling him FORMER creative director. :p

#204 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:48

If one device snaps into the other in some shape or form, they're one device.

#205 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:20

I honestly don't see BC being a big deal, it wasn't for the 360 and I'm sure MS has data on just how many people played the older games on the 360. Also, when I get a new system I do so for the new games, I also won't be quick to ditch my 360 yet, it still works fine.

The rumor is the new version 360 will be very small and $99, for those who really need BC, which I think is a small %, it's not that much.

#206 weedo3

weedo3

Brad Nowell lives!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 17:07

If one device snaps into the other in some shape or form, they're one device.

Dude, if you get the nachos stuck together, that's one nacho.

#207 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 April 2013 - 17:11

I'm still scratching my head at the idea of them saying you don't need 2 devices in your living room... when you apparently need an addon (sold separately) to attach just for this capability. You would still have two devices, and you are paying for both of them. :huh:

It's interesting seeing Paul Thurrott's information coming to light though. So much for keeping quiet hah.

Apparently, Adam Orth has "resigned" as well. Looks like Francis was right in calling him FORMER creative director. :p

I kind of assumed that they could be connected via your home network (possibly built in wifi I'd imagine). Then you could have them in separate rooms as the mini is it's own standalone media machine and Durango includes all those media features. We'll see. I'm excited.

#208 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 April 2013 - 17:35

Dude, if you get the nachos stuck together, that's one nacho.

1 nacho is one piece of yum.
1 bowl of dip is several spoonfuls of yum

1 nacho + one dip in the dip = one piece of yum.

#209 0sit0

0sit0

Live and let live

Posted 11 April 2013 - 17:39

yes most of the time that I use the 360 I'm online but there have been times where I don't have internet and I play offline. This is B.S.

#210 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 12 April 2013 - 22:41

a great example of not being able to be online

a game day at a school or library or elsewhere (like a nukecon aftershock event). you can't connect consoles to school networks and such (99% of the time)

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!